Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
talktojonell
Suggestions for Field Trips Please
February 3 at 9:17 AM
Hi,

I have one 7 year old boy. Any suggestions for easy fieldtrips for one mom and one boy would be appreciated. Money isn't really a big deal right now and we live in a Big Ten university town that is well-resourced.

So far, we've done a tea house and had a Japanese tea ceremony.

I'm just at a loss for ways to get out of the house and ideas to tie it back into learning.

Thanks

Replies

• hipmomto3
    February 3 at 9:22 AM

Without knowing specifically where you live, it's very hard to say.

I know large college towns usually have a multicultural infuence, so perhaps any historical period or culture you study could be culminated with a lunch out at an ethnic restaurant. When we lived in a college town, we had Tibetan, Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Japanese, Mediterranean, etc restaurants.

I'd also check with the public library for free shows they offer through the year, and the parks department for any festivals or concerts. 

You can only go to the library or the zoo so many times, right?

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    February 3 at 9:29 AM

This week we're headed to the National Center for Atmospheric Research, we also love our museum, the library, we take swimming lessons once a week, national parks....  How about an art gallery (or even a studio, if that's possible)?  My mom takes my kids to old farms and to mines and such.  Pick your own farms.  Do you have a mint nearby?  We have yet to go to the Denver mint, but we'll do that soon since we're studying money right now.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 3 at 10:59 AM
    Any caverns nearby? Those are great this time of year.
  • Molimomma
    February 3 at 11:57 AM

Zoo, aquarium, museums(art, science, children's...), local nursery in the spring for learning about plants or gardening, farm, pumpkin patch or corn maze in the fall, bakery,  local factory(I would LOVE to go to the crayola factory in PA but we live in TX), post office or fire station will sometimes give you a tour....these are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    February 3 at 12:54 PM

These are all the things I thought of too!

We live where there is no zoo so we go to the exotic pet store once or twice a year!

Quoting Molimomma:

Zoo, aquarium, museums(art, science, children's...), local nursery in the spring for learning about plants or gardening, farm, pumpkin patch or corn maze in the fall, bakery,  local factory(I would LOVE to go to the crayola factory in PA but we live in TX), post office or fire station will sometimes give you a tour....these are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

• KrissyKC
    February 3 at 5:40 PM
    We recently visited the humane society. Doing a candy making tour...maple sugar tree tapping...historical society homeschool day...soap making tour...scavenger hunts at park... wild bird sanctuary.. wolf sanctuary...pottery painting... eagle viewing... old town days... trip to amish town to buy stuff... art museum....any museum...historical homes tour...train ride... bus or subway excursions...
  • ablackdolphin
    February 3 at 10:51 PM

Any plants you can tour? Auto plant, power plant, water, etc?  Any nature centers, botanical gardens.  What about big local manufacturers?  I was an auditor and inventory observations were so fascinating.   Does your DH or any friends have a bring your child to work day?  Any government facilities that might do tours.  Check out to see if any museums offer homeschooling days.

• ablackdolphin
    February 3 at 10:53 PM

Volunteering for things like clean up days, adpot a highway, animals, shelters, 5K races, etc

• talktojonell
    February 4 at 8:06 AM
    I live in Madison, Wisconsin. I can take day trips but need to be home by 4:00 for my other children.

Also, where I'm struggling is figuring out ways to link the field trip activity back to something we're working on.

Yes, the zoo in Madison doesn't charge admission or parking or anything. It's completely free so it's an overused resource. Especially without a curriculum or something to guide the visit.

Quoting hipmomto3:

Without knowing specifically where you live, it's very hard to say.

I know large college towns usually have a multicultural infuence, so perhaps any historical period or culture you study could be culminated with a lunch out at an ethnic restaurant. When we lived in a college town, we had Tibetan, Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Japanese, Mediterranean, etc restaurants.

I'd also check with the public library for free shows they offer through the year, and the parks department for any festivals or concerts. 

You can only go to the library or the zoo so many times, right?

• talktojonell
    February 4 at 8:07 AM
    Lol, you sound like you live in Wisconsin. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quoting KrissyKC: We recently visited the humane society. Doing a candy making tour...maple sugar tree tapping...historical society homeschool day...soap making tour...scavenger hunts at park... wild bird sanctuary.. wolf sanctuary...pottery painting... eagle viewing... old town days... trip to amish town to buy stuff... art museum....any museum...historical homes tour...train ride... bus or subway excursions...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts