Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
sstepph
How did you choose?
by sstepph
February 1 at 6:57 PM

How did you choose between homeschooling and sending to a public school? Cyberschool or not? 

Replies

• schoolmarm1
    February 1 at 6:59 PM
    I just sort of decided by jumping in feet first honestly!
  • Chasing3
    February 1 at 7:33 PM

the school made the choice for me when they treated my son so badly. No cyber school for me. I'm fine with researching curriculm pieces to use. Don't want it all decided for me.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    February 1 at 7:44 PM
    It was homeschool or private for us. I wanted my kids to have a better education than I had. I wanted to keep their curiosity going. Homeschooling seemed like the easiest way to accomplish that. I substituted at our church's private school and I was not impressed. I wanted my kids to have more freedom than I had.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    February 1 at 8:19 PM

I can't afford private school and DS wasn't doing so hot in public school, so I decided to homeschool. 

• Silverkitty
    February 1 at 8:51 PM

My daughter didn't want to go to school, but also the school system in the city where we started homeschooling did morning in English and the same stuff in the afternoon in Spanish, along with a really weird track system and a few other things we didn't feel like dealing with.  Since then we have moved three times and enjoy it to much to put her in.

Cyber school sounds like a good thing, but looking in to it I loved my flexibility.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    February 1 at 9:05 PM
    The public school wasn't the best option for our family and we have no close private schools, so homeschooling was the next best. It was an easy decision for me though because I was homeschooled and was familiar with it.
  • twyliatepeka
    February 1 at 9:53 PM

public schools here are awful and cyberschool is not an option for us.

• AutymsMommy
    February 1 at 10:05 PM

Well, we've never been public school fans, but we did consider private school/Catholic school, and we still DO consider it. We have no real problem with our children choosing private/Catholic school instead of homeschooling, assuming they get rid of common core, lol.

Right now, my eldest attends private school (for bright/gifted dyslexic children) and I homeschool my middle child.

So I would say we "choose" on a case by case basis.

• sstepph
    by sstepph
    February 2 at 9:22 AM

Thanks everyone. 

We started thinking about homeschooling last May when we were looking to buy a house and  the school district the house was in, was not the best. We ended up not buying the house but were still interested in homeschooling. I felt I didn't have enough knowledge to do it on my own, so I started looking into cyber schools and have a few friends that do it and have had awesome success. 

So, now, we're just trying to decide between the 2 cyber schools. And I will continue to learn and read up on homeschooling on my own. We will be starting Kindergarden in September for my 5 year old through the cyber school. 

• NYCitymomx3
    February 2 at 10:54 AM

When I saw that my precocious, bubbly, enthusiastic daughter became this indifferent, doesn't-want-to-try person by the time she was 6 years old, then I knew it that school had done this to her.  She spent an additional 2 years at the gifted academy, but it still wasn't enough to get her excited about learning again.  So, I told her how homeschooling could be a good option for her.  She thought about it for 2 weeks before she told me she was ready.  Within a few months I witness her joy coming back.  She was such a perfect unschooler for 5 years and then made it into her dream performing arts high school (she's graduating this year!).   

I knew it was the right decision and I went on to homeschool my oldest dd (for a year) and my ds since Kindergarten (he's still at it and has chosen to continue through high school!).

So, we did the school thing.  It works for some, but I know homeschooing is better, with more freedom, more choices, happier kids, a tailored curriculum, and (imo) better social dynamic.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts