Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Meg226
Camp-Read-A-Lot for Homeschoolers
by Meg226
January 31 at 10:31 PM

Has anyone heard of camp read a lots? They are very popular in public schools for grades 1-5. I thought it would be an awesome idea to bring it to my homeschool for my 2nd grader. It would change things up in the classroom and be some fun learning. I created a group just for Camp-Read-A-lot. I hope you do not mind me posting this here as it would not take away from this group at all. If anything it could bring more ideas to this group :) The group is called Camp-Read-A-lot for homeschoolers. It explains what camp is about, how to do one at your homeschool site, and more!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 31 at 10:34 PM

Soooo what is the camp about? lol

• Meg226
    by Meg226
    January 31 at 10:42 PM

The "camp" is actually your classroom or wherever you homeschool. For 1 week you focus on reading, set challenges/goals, activities, decorating your "campsite". The group has it all outlined.

Quoting mem82:

Soooo what is the camp about? lol

• katyq
    by katyq
    January 31 at 10:56 PM

That sounds so fun :) my son is only 3 1/2 but thinking ahead, I would love to do a week of intense writing maybe once a year and also a period of intense reading/science/math. You can really get deep into something that way. It sounds so fun :)

• Meg226
    by Meg226
    January 31 at 10:58 PM

Even though your son is only 3 1/2 you could still do it now and focus on preschool concepts :) Join the group and see what others come up with 

Quoting katyq:

That sounds so fun :) my son is only 3 1/2 but thinking ahead, I would love to do a week of intense writing maybe once a year and also a period of intense reading/science/math. You can really get deep into something that way. It sounds so fun :)

• KrissyKC
    February 1 at 8:57 AM
    We participated in NaNoWriMo this year. National Novel Writing Month. My kids wrote more than they ever have and loooooved it.

Quoting katyq:

• Meg226
    by Meg226
    February 11 at 11:06 PM

I also have a group I just started called Homeschooling Email Pals. Check it out. Instead of pen and paper they use an email (you monitor) to communicate with other homeschoolers to learn cultures. While they are learning from each other and the weekly challenges, we can teach them the proper way to communicate online/what is considered too much information/etc. The more homeschoolers the more diverse we can grow :) http://www.cafemom.com/groups/homeschoolingemailpals

• JasonsMom2007
    February 12 at 12:35 AM

Camp read a lot around here is a day at the library where they do crafts, plant flowers, have different things like sand, clay, and bubbles to play in, listen to stories, play with instruments, stuff like that.

• Meg226
    by Meg226
    February 12 at 1:29 PM

Sounds like a blast!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Camp read a lot around here is a day at the library where they do crafts, plant flowers, have different things like sand, clay, and bubbles to play in, listen to stories, play with instruments, stuff like that.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts