Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Honey_Comb
Teaching Art and Music...
January 30 at 9:18 PM

For those that teach Art and Music, how do you grade? Do you grade them based on effort or artistry/tone? I use K12 but I feel like making a child sing a song over and over again until they are pitch perfect is absurd considering not everyone can do that. Same goes for art. 

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 30 at 9:30 PM

We don't grade but if we did we would do it passed on participation & enthusiasm for what is being do. Because we all are not master singers/musiciansor  artist so to expect them to turn out great art or sing/play an instrument well is a very high expectation that will never get meet by most children!

• Honey_Comb
    January 30 at 9:36 PM

That's what I figured. I'm just sort of making it fun in Music. Art has a bit of history in it about the artists and we touch on that, but all the art projects they do if it's not something she would be interested in I let her get a craft of her own. She loves the walmart $10 boxes with painting and braclets and what not. I just feel that it should based on expression and what they love rather than something expected. Thanks for responding!

Quoting usmom3:

We don't grade but if we did we would do it passed on participation & enthusiasm for what is being do. Because we all are not master singers/musiciansor  artist so to expect them to turn out great art or sing/play an instrument well is a very high expectation that will never get meet by most children!

• paganbaby
    January 30 at 9:58 PM

If I taught it, I would do it this way. As it stands, art and music is maily ds writing comics and listening to his Mp3 player. DD doodles and listens to music as well.

Quoting usmom3:

• AutymsMommy
    January 30 at 10:00 PM

I would NEVER grade based on artistry or tone. Art/music is a gift and not one everyone knows. While we DO art and we DO music, I would be more apt to grade on participation and understanding of the material (regardless of ability to APPLY the material. If I'm frank, I haven't a musical or artistic bone in my body, so it would be hypocritical of me to expect mastery/application from my children (although my husband is a gifted musician).

For art, we do crafts at this stage. We also do art appreciation/art memory work. For music we use Making Music, Praying Twice (and again, I only care about participation and understanding of concepts, but not application).

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 30 at 10:03 PM

It sound's like you are doing great!

Quoting Honey_Comb:

That's what I figured. I'm just sort of making it fun in Music. Art has a bit of history in it about the artists and we touch on that, but all the art projects they do if it's not something she would be interested in I let her get a craft of her own. She loves the walmart $10 boxes with painting and braclets and what not. I just feel that it should based on expression and what they love rather than something expected. Thanks for responding!

Quoting usmom3:

• Honey_Comb
    January 30 at 10:06 PM

Thanks! I know when I was in school (I went to B&M) we were graded on artistry and tone. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Quoting usmom3:

• bluerooffarm
    January 30 at 10:07 PM

I have graded on knowledge not ability for art and music.  Do they recognize the scale is going up or down on a piece of music?  Do they recognize an artist or a style of painting?  Not on how well they can duplicate another artist.

• Honey_Comb
    January 30 at 10:09 PM

That's my thoughts exactly. I figure if she understands the patterns we are learning about and can apply them in her own way then I'm fine with it. She knows how the music has rhythm and beat and if it's high or low and that's all I'm concerned with.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I have graded on knowledge not ability for art and music.  Do they recognize the scale is going up or down on a piece of music?  Do they recognize an artist or a style of painting?  Not on how well they can duplicate another artist.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 30 at 10:12 PM

I agree! My kids are very artistic but that dose not mean they are great artist to others! I think having passion for it as children is so much more important then if they are good at it when it comes to art & music!

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Thanks! I know when I was in school (I went to B&M) we were graded on artistry and tone. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Quoting usmom3:

• SarahNElijah
    January 30 at 10:24 PM
    My son is very naturally gifted in art and music, but I would never grade on anything other than participation! We don't do grades anyway, but I think art and music should be enjoyable and come from the heart! We do monthly classes at the art museum here in Dallas, and I think I would grade some of the art there poorly if I graded on technique to be honest. :-b

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts