Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ablackdolphin
Are you using the Olympics as a teaching theme?
January 30 at 8:40 PM

Just curious if you had any ideas to share.....

Replies

• KickButtMama
    January 30 at 8:59 PM

We LOVE the Olympics. We watch it nearly 24 hours a day. (I love that you can watch the full competitions on apps and such now instead of the edited tv shows). Some of the things we do:

1: We always make a big poster listing the sports. Like a spreadsheet, we make columns for gold, silver & bronze, then the kids draw the flag of the country that wins the medal.

2: Then we make another poster with a list of the countries so we can keep a tally to see who earns the most. 

3: This year the kids are making little fan signs, like we were in the stands at the actual competition for their favorite sports - all things ice skating (dance, speed, team, couple, individual, etc), skeleton, bobsled, ski jumping, and snowboarding. I think that's all...lol...the kids have their favorite athletes they will be cheering for. I love that the kids even chose athletes from different countries to root for in different sports ;)

4: we always research the countries competing...like we were sad the one entry from Northern Africa withdrew, I think from skiing, since he's practically the only one from the continent that was entered! (He apparently lived on one of the only mountains in Africa tall enough to get snow).

5: we also like researching, and making, foods from the countries that win.

So, basically, we love the Olympics!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 30 at 9:14 PM

Nope!

• paganbaby
    January 30 at 9:58 PM

Lol, why not?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 30 at 10:09 PM

I feel that our government likes to use it (along with other big things that distract the masses) to do things right under our noses like pass bills & legislation that people would normally be PO-ed about but because they have a big distraction like that then they don't care so much & by the time they do care it is to late!

I know that the Olympics are a tradition that goes back all the way to Ancient Greece but it has not been about what it originally was about for a long time!

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol, why not?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope!

• paganbaby
    January 30 at 10:10 PM

Nice... I did not know that!

Quoting usmom3:

I feel that our government likes to use it (along with other big things that distract the masses) to do things right under our noses like pass bills & legislation that people would normally be PO-ed about but because they have a big distraction like that then they don't care so much & by the time they do care it is to late!

I know that the Olympics are a tradition that goes back all the way to Ancient Greece but it has not been about what it originally was about for a long time!

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol, why not?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope!

• collinsmommy0
    January 30 at 10:49 PM
    What apps?

Quoting KickButtMama:

We LOVE the Olympics. We watch it nearly 24 hours a day. (I love that you can watch the full competitions on apps and such now instead of the edited tv shows). Some of the things we do:

1: We always make a big poster listing the sports. Like a spreadsheet, we make columns for gold, silver & bronze, then the kids draw the flag of the country that wins the medal.

2: Then we make another poster with a list of the countries so we can keep a tally to see who earns the most. 

3: This year the kids are making little fan signs, like we were in the stands at the actual competition for their favorite sports - all things ice skating (dance, speed, team, couple, individual, etc), skeleton, bobsled, ski jumping, and snowboarding. I think that's all...lol...the kids have their favorite athletes they will be cheering for. I love that the kids even chose athletes from different countries to root for in different sports ;)

4: we always research the countries competing...like we were sad the one entry from Northern Africa withdrew, I think from skiing, since he's practically the only one from the continent that was entered! (He apparently lived on one of the only mountains in Africa tall enough to get snow).

• KickButtMama
    January 31 at 7:55 AM

NBC sports, (I've always done it through nbc, but probably any sports channel app would work.) this year there is also a TEAM USA app that is fun. Last Olympics NBC had an official Olympics app, but I haven't seen it yet.

Quoting collinsmommy0: What apps?

Quoting KickButtMama:

• KickButtMama
    January 31 at 8:02 AM

I love a good conspiracy theory. But I have Olympians in the family who would strongly disagree that the Olympics are swayed by politics or that it has been corrupted. 

Quoting 

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol, why not?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope!

• kirbymom
    January 31 at 8:38 AM
    Ha! My bids don't like watching the Olympics. I do though but can't get to the tv! lol
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    January 31 at 9:55 AM

So there are a ton of unit studies out there.  I've not found ONE that I like, so we're doing a hodgepodge of stuff.  I've pinned a bunch of sites:

http://www.pinterest.com/hwblyf/social-studies/

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN