Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jen2150
Math insight
by jen2150
January 29 at 10:39 AM

My oldest came to me and told me he does not like teaching textbooks anymore.  It is too abstract for him.  Doing worksheets will not work for him.  It is also too abstract.  He loves hands on math concepts.  He loves his math journal.  He came up with his own math pyramid to figure out multiplication table questions.  He thinks very mathematically.  I am currently debating whether to find him math curriculum to use.

I just want to add that we are unschoolers but I use curriculum to teach what they are interested in.  I have curriculum for English and Math but science and History I design my own.  We use a living book approach.  My sons love all subjects.  I finally found a writing program that we both love.  I thought about math u see but I am unsure about how it will work.  

Here is what I am currently doing:

We are using the life of fred along with math journals.  I am currently teaching a creative math class.  Each week we are learning about a new mathematician.  This month we are working on geometry.  Last week we learned about Euclid.  I am also reading them a book called Exploring the world of mathematics.  It is a book about the history of mathematics.  It is filled with math and history.  In the past we were doing TT 3 X per week and life of fred 2 X per week.  Normally they do the questions in the life of fred and then I add a few more problems.  I found that they love doing problems on the dry erase board.  I also want to add that we are doing math building projects.  I have a book called Amazing math projects.  I also just ordered my son The Adventures of Penrose the mathematical cat and life of fred fractions.  I also purchased a math dictionary for kids.

I just want some imput on whether I should add an actual curriculum.  I would appreciate thoughts from everyone but especially those that do their own math curriculum.  Thanks

Replies

• paganbaby
    January 29 at 11:17 AM

I don't have any advice to offer, we're still finding our way. But could I ask what writing program you use? I'm still looking for one for dd.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 29 at 11:32 AM

We are using write shop.  It is very hands on with a lot of creative writing.  http://www.writeshop.com/

• TJandKarasMom
    January 29 at 1:48 PM

Have you been to amazingmathprojects.com?  Looks like it could have some extra fun stuff to do.  I can't get into it though because I don't have the book.  The book looks a bit overwhelming to me (look inside on amazon), but sounds fun.

I think you're doing a good job already.  Do you feel like if you drop TT you could do LOF 3x per week and then just do other/extra activities the other 2x per week?

I build our own and it is no where near as involved as yours.  I pick a topic and teach a lesson, then we do a math journal activity, and I usually do some review worksheets once a week to see if they are getting the concepts.  And we tend to do math 4x per week, the fifth day I have them do a game or just life math (math at the grocery store or handling money, etc).

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 29 at 1:54 PM
    Thanks. I just wanted some extra imput. My son wants to design and work in computers so he will need a good mathematical background. I think I am going to try mathusee. I downloaded a sample lesson and had him read it and he really enjoyed it.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Have you been to amazingmathprojects.com?  Looks like it could have some extra fun stuff to do.  I can't get into it though because I don't have the book.  The book looks a bit overwhelming to me (look inside on amazon), but sounds fun.

I think you're doing a good job already.  Do you feel like if you drop TT you could do LOF 3x per week and then just do other/extra activities the other 2x per week?

I build our own and it is no where near as involved as yours.  I pick a topic and teach a lesson, then we do a math journal activity, and I usually do some review worksheets once a week to see if they are getting the concepts.  And we tend to do math 4x per week, the fifth day I have them do a game or just life math (math at the grocery store or handling money, etc).

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 29 at 2:01 PM
    I just wanted to add that I really like what you are doing. I came across a book you might like. It is called math games around the world. It has a lot of great ideas. I love books that combine subjects.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts