Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
My 9 year old son can tell time!!!!
January 28 at 11:14 PM

I am soo excited! I never thought I'd be this happy that one of my kids can read a clock,lol.

I've tried teaching him before but he couldn't grasp the concept. Then yesterday while we were reading Life of Fred, something just clicked. I could see the wheels turning as he looked at the page and told me what time it was. I don't know who was prouder, me or him,lol. He's been telling me the time all day since then. I love it!

He just seems to be growing by leaps and bounds recently. I don't know what it is. Just today he went outside and initiated play with some neighborhood kids. They didn't speak English but that didn't seem to bother anyone. They played for two hours before I had to call him home. Then tonight, he tried three new foods and didn't gag on anything! Followed by two bowls of salad and an apple.

I just want to pinch myself!

*Background. For those who don't know, my son has mild autism. That makes these milestones that much sweeter :-)

Replies

• irvinehiker
    January 28 at 11:19 PM

That is awesome!!! :)  My son is autistic so I know how exciting these things are.  It's awesome when they MAKE A CHOICE to socialize.

We are still working on telling time LOL.  He can read the clock just fine, he just cant understand how it relates to his daily life.

• paganbaby
    January 28 at 11:23 PM

Yes! I've tried I don't know how many times to get him to play with kids. He either climbs a tree, hides under a table, goes like a statue or gets super goofy. I gave up then he goes ahead and does this,lol.

Ah, yes. We've done picture schedules and the like. Really, one day he just pops up and "gets it".

How old is your ds?

Quoting irvinehiker:

That is awesome!!! :)  My son is autistic so I know how exciting these things are.  It's awesome when they MAKE A CHOICE to socialize.

We are still working on telling time LOL.  He can read the clock just fine, he just cant understand how it relates to his daily life.

• irvinehiker
    January 28 at 11:36 PM

Ah, yes. I've tried to get my son do so many things.  Eat politiely, play with others, be on a schedule, dress correctly (matching).  But, I have learned time and time again that it's not about me at all.  When I just sit back and let him be who he is, things fall into place.  I try to live unconditionally with both my kids.  I guess it's about choosing your battles and deciding what's important at the end of the day.

Quoting paganbaby:

Yes! I've tried I don't know how many times to get him to play with kids. He either climbs a tree, hides under a table, goes like a statue or gets super goofy. I gave up then he goes ahead and does this,lol.

Ah, yes. We've done picture schedules and the like. Really, one day he just pops up and "gets it".

How old is your ds?

Quoting irvinehiker:

• Bluecalm
    January 28 at 11:57 PM
    That's great!
  • kirbymom
    January 28 at 11:57 PM
    That is so wonderful! I'm so happy for you! Both of you. :)
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    January 29 at 7:56 AM
    *smile*
  • bluerooffarm
    January 29 at 9:23 AM

Yay!  I'm so happy for the both of you!

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 29 at 9:43 AM
    Yay!
  • mamamedic69
    January 29 at 9:47 AM
    Hooray!!!!
  • debramommyof4
    January 29 at 10:15 AM
    That is so awesome! I am happy for you both!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN