Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Building vocabulary ideas
January 28 at 10:11 PM
My 6 year old has come a looong way since August. He started off on a K level and now he's on a beginning 2nd grade level for reading comprehension, phonics, and sight words, but beginning first grade for vocabulary. Not too surprising since he has a mild/moderate language delay, but I'm looking for ways to build his vocabulary. Any ideas?

Replies

• maggiemom2000
    January 28 at 10:13 PM

Read to him! Read him chapter books. Then read to him some more. Seriously, reading is the best way to increase vocabulary.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28 at 10:23 PM

I agree with this! I also think if you use big words when talking to him he will learn them understand what they mean & then you will start to notice him using them as well!

My kids where using words like conundrum, exasperated, astounded & flabbergasted when they where 6 & 7 because I used them!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Read to him! Read him chapter books. Then read to him some more. Seriously, reading is the best way to increase vocabulary.

• SusanTheWriter
    January 28 at 10:25 PM

I agree with maggiemom - reading is the best vocab builder out there. Bring in some of the older classics in your reading time, along with the new books. The language in them is frequently more advanced.

And don't be afraid to use your vocabulary, too. Use words they may not understand, then take the time to explain what you mean. When they ask what something means, don't just give them the definition, but illustrate what you mean with context. Teach them to use a bound dictionary, too.

It's a process that never ends, either. I still do this with my teens! After a while, it just becomes habit.

• Bluecalm
    January 28 at 10:37 PM
    I think I lost part of my post. I read to him all the time and I use a rich vocabulary when I speak to him. I also build on his conversation to give him new words. My 3 year old has a good vocabulary and uses adjectives and adverbs in his sentences. My 6 year old speaks in a much simpler style.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28 at 10:41 PM

It will come to him just keep doing what you are doing! Both of my sons are on the Autism Spectrum & they have struggled with vocabulary, but it has gotten better as they have grown & matured.

Quoting Bluecalm: I think I lost part of my post. I read to him all the time and I use a rich vocabulary when I speak to him. I also build on his conversation to give him new words. My 3 year old has a good vocabulary and uses adjectives and adverbs in his sentences. My 6 year old speaks in a much simpler style.

• Bluecalm
    January 28 at 10:42 PM
    That's what's hard, I do talk to him like that but he still speaks very simply. He tends to describe a word rather than using the word, like "the thing you hit nails with" instead is saying hammer.

Quoting usmom3:

I agree with this! I also think if you use big words when talking to him he will learn them understand what they mean & then you will start to notice him using them as well!

My kids where using words like conundrum, exasperated, astounded & flabbergasted when they where 6 & 7 because I used them!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

• SusanTheWriter
    January 28 at 10:42 PM

Is it that he doesn't understand a broad vocabulary, or that he doesn't use it? My husband has a very wide vocab, but he's much plainer in style than I am. My DS is the same - I know he has an excellent vocab, but my DD is the one who uses it.

Quoting Bluecalm: I think I lost part of my post. I read to him all the time and I use a rich vocabulary when I speak to him. I also build on his conversation to give him new words. My 3 year old has a good vocabulary and uses adjectives and adverbs in his sentences. My 6 year old speaks in a much simpler style.

• SusanTheWriter
    January 28 at 10:46 PM

Ok. So it's not just me with the problem posting tonight. I thought I broke the interwebz again!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28 at 10:51 PM

I have been having trouble with it too!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Ok. So it's not just me with the problem posting tonight. I thought I broke the interwebz again!

• Bluecalm
    January 28 at 10:51 PM
    His receptive language is better than his expressive, but that's not so great either. Fortunately he isn't afraid to ask what words mean.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Is it that he doesn't understand a broad vocabulary, or that he doesn't use it? My husband has a very wide vocab, but he's much plainer in style than I am. My DS is the same - I know he has an excellent vocab, but my DD is the one who uses it.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts