Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
krysxo
All about Reading Help!
by krysxo
January 28 at 6:46 PM

Im thinking of getting all about reading for my kids VERY soon. Hailey, she's in 3rd, but struggles. I did the placement test and she would be in Level 2. Also my 1st grader, scored Level 2 also. They both need Level 2 spelling like asap (they finished level 1 this week.) Do you think it would be beneficial to get level 2 and 3 and start getting them caught up?

Theres sorta a rush trying to get them caught up (well as much as possible by end of summer) due to I have to put them back in school so I can go to college this year.

Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    January 28 at 9:40 PM

Sorry, I have no idea but wanted to say that we just started using All About Spelling and LOVE it!  You might contact the company and see what they say.

• kirbymom
    January 28 at 11:07 PM
    How did they do with level one? Do the like reading? What are their weak points and their strengths?
  • Bethbeth
    January 29 at 11:44 AM

go to the forums on the all about reading site and post your questions there!

• krysxo
    by krysxo
    January 29 at 2:37 PM

Quoting kirbymom: How did they do with level one? Do the like reading? What are their weak points and their strengths?

They only have done Spelling from the allaboutlearning. They LOVE it with the tiles. Lily does amazing with reading (she's 1st grade, and reading 2nd grade books) but Hailey is my struggler. She at 2nd grade reading. They all have learned so much with the spelling tho :)

• DyslexiaParent
    January 29 at 7:06 PM

If they're behind and need help getting caught up, I don't know why you'd want to wait.  Is there a particular reason you are considering not going ahead?

• krysxo
    by krysxo
    January 30 at 12:37 AM

The price is hurting me LOL. The kids are just finishing spelling level 2, thats why I havent got the next level.

• No_Difference
    January 30 at 9:34 AM

So I don't know how much help I'll be entirely, but I'm using All About Reading with my 4 yr old. We're using Level 1. It follows closely to what is gone over in Level 1 spelling, but not at the same time necessarily. For instance, Step 18 in spelling is FF LL and SS, but it is step 26 in reading. It is set up very similar in set up how the spelling is. You can use the tiles to start the concept of blending the sounds of words together. Sometimes there are activites to do. Some chapters introduce rule breakers like "I" and "said" and "the" so they can progress in reading stories. You learn how to read phonetically, but you also are given sight words in a sense that follow the rules of the lesson you just went over, and tons of fluency practice. 

I would get the level 2 spelling and the level 2 reading and just run the two together. Since the same rules are essentially applied through both programs, they'll have a thorough review. Also, just because they went quickly through the level 1 spelling, doesn't necessarily mean they will with level 2. There have been a few times, where I've FLOWN through the majority of lessons, and then suddenly we've reached a hickup.  Even though the third grader might be behind a little still, you can always even when you're doing school, when she gets home, work on level 3 on your own for just extra practice. I would not try to rush the process of learning to read. She'll get it when she gets it, but extra practice to get "caught up" is extra stress and then usually a dislike for the whole reading process.

Now I don't know about the schools by you, but many I'm noticing are anti phonics. So by teaching her how to decode, even if she's a level/yr behind, might just put her ahead of some kids since she'll have the idea behind figuring out what a word is without having to memorize words.

• kirbymom
    January 31 at 1:10 AM
    At this rate, I would get them both as it would be a benefit for both of them. You might try playing a memory game with Hailey. Work on her memory skills. You can use a deck of cards for this. It may be that she has lost the thrill and excitement of learning to read. Playing a game like this may be the thing that jump starts her in finding it again and and improve her skills in
    reading and comprehending. It might also help if you play the game with her. She can get excited about being able ti "beat" at getting the most matches.

Quoting krysxo:

Quoting kirbymom: How did they do with level one? Do the like reading? What are th weak points and their strengths?

They only have done Spelling from the allaboutlearning. They LOVE it with the tiles. Lily does amazing with reading (she's 1st grade, and reading 2nd grade books) but Hailey is my struggler. She at 2nd grade reading. They all have learned so much with the spelling tho :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts