Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Silverkitty
I hate putting it together myself!
January 28 at 4:40 PM

I really do.  I love curriculum.  I love looking at all the different types and ideas out there.  I HATE putting together what will work for my children.  For the first 5 years I used a complete box.  My daughter loved it and it was easy for me.  The last year of the box curriculum was because I didn't like what they had put in for science and I couldn't just not buy it from this place so I had to put together my own thing for everything.  That first year I did, it bombed and my husband was mad at me and my daughter hated school.  The next year wasn't any better.  This year I did a mix of Sonlight and adding to it.  It has gone a lot better, but we are not going to use Sonlight next year, we didn't even really use it except for the books and dictation.  

My husband is going to file our tax return, I have until we get the money back to find EVERYTHING we are going to use next year.  He will buy it in one lump sum and be done.  If something doesn't work, I have to use it or change it with something free.  So now I"m looking at so much it's making my head spin.  My son will be doing PK/K/1 stuff.  My daughter will be doing 7/8/9 stuff.

Literature we are using study guides.

Saxon Algebra 1/2

SciSaurus with the Daybooks.

History - lterature based- ???

Writing - Jump In - my daughter hates writing

Grammar - Easy Grammar 

Phonics and lots of books

Math in Focus

Science

Social Studies

Did I say I hate pulling together stuff?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    January 28 at 5:04 PM

Why not just go boxed again and sub out the one or two subjects you dislike?

• KickButtMama
    January 28 at 5:26 PM

I agree. If boxed works for you and building your own causes too much stress, then buy boxed and then you only have to worry about supplementing one or two subjects.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• Silverkitty
    January 28 at 5:33 PM

I can't find a box that would work.  My daughter hates textbooks.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• AutymsMommy
    January 28 at 5:40 PM

Oh. I misread - I thought you said that boxed was enjoyable for both you and your daughter.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• AutymsMommy
    January 28 at 5:41 PM

To be frank, I'm considering going boxed this year, and only subbing out mathematics, lol.

• CowgirlMama0508
    January 28 at 5:46 PM
    we will be using Christian Light Education. its workbooks and you only buy the subjects you want. the only thing I might sub is the science.
  • Silverkitty
    January 28 at 5:52 PM

She liked the work texts, which doesn't seem to be anything outside elementary school.  When it comes to history she likes literature, but I need questions and stuff to help discuss it with her.

Science has been okay, just I always seem to find experiements with hard to find things so they don't get done. 

Literature is much easier done with study guides, but my daughter hates to write anything that asks her opinion.

Math we finally found what works.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Oh. I misread - I thought you said that boxed was enjoyable for both you and your daughter.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• Silverkitty
    January 28 at 5:56 PM

Is that anything like AOP LifePac?  We tried those and it was sooo boring.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: we will be using Christian Light Education. its workbooks and you only buy the subjects you want. the only thing I might sub is the science.

• kirbymom
    January 29 at 12:21 AM
    Yep. I have to agree.
    If it works and learning is a progression of learning, then you go with what works.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree. If boxed works for you and building your own causes too much stress, then buy boxed and then you only have to worry about supplementing one or two subjects.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• KrissyKC
    January 29 at 12:27 AM
    I've heard good things about the institute for excellence in writing from the moms in my hs groups.

My older two have done well with rod and staff english. I rotate it up, though with literature and I combine them for the literature and any oral review of their english.

Math u see has been a huge blessing this year. It takes way less of me. Also less headaches.

Apologia science is fun. Very creation/religion based so not every one wants that.

History still is my weak area. Havent found anything I love.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN