Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Truluv4ever
How long should a should a child...
January 28 at 2:43 PM
Be "UNschooled"?????? Is there a certain amount of time that is ok???
Thanks~

Replies

• KickButtMama
    January 28 at 3:10 PM

I think it varies chid to child, if they are desiring more formal textbook education, then give it....it may be even done by individual subjects rather than switching all the schooling at once. My eldest is going to be 13 and I don't foresee changing his style of learning at all. Unschool more resembles college IMO - where the impetus is really upon the student how much and what type of work to do, what classes they want, etc.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28 at 4:37 PM

Do you mean deschool? Where you let the child take time to decompress from being in public school? If that is what you mean then 1 month for every year the child was in school is the recommended amount. It well do you good as well to deschool!

Unschooling in a lot of respects is a lifestyle & it never stops! My hubby & I have been unschooling (unknowingly until the past few years) for over 20 years.

• KickButtMama
    January 28 at 5:28 PM

I agree. When I first read the post and responded I thought she had asked about deschooling, then I re-read the post and had to go edit my response...lol.. I also agree Unschooling is a way of life, something that doesn't fit into a 9-3 time frame or even grade levels...it's a completely different way of thinking.

Quoting usmom3:

Do you mean deschool? Where you let the child take time to decompress from being in public school? If that is what you mean then 1 month for every year the child was in school is the recommended amount. It well do you good as well to deschool!

Unschooling in a lot of respects is a lifestyle & it never stops! My hubby & I have been unschooling (unknowingly until the past few years) for over 20 years.

• Bwanna12Bree
    January 28 at 5:40 PM

Appearantly, you had been unschoooled a little too long. How long should a should ???

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28 at 5:46 PM

Really! So you are all perfect & have never made a mistake with writing or posting something that you did not proofread first!

Get over yourself & get out of our group!

Quoting Bwanna12Bree:

Appearantly, you had been unschoooled a little too long. How long should a should ???

• Truluv4ever
    January 28 at 7:56 PM
    No, I was mobile and my phone sometimes doubles a couple of words!

Quoting Bwanna12Bree:

• Truluv4ever
    January 28 at 7:58 PM
    Thanks for your reply and vote of confidence!

Quoting usmom3:

Really! So you are all perfect & have never made a mistake with writing or posting something that you did not proofread first!

Get over yourself & get out of our group!

Quoting Bwanna12Bree:

• Truluv4ever
    January 28 at 8:07 PM
    Oops! Yes, I do mean deschool. So if you deschool for the amount of time that is recommended will that affect their grade level or their learning?? Thanks for your help~

Quoting usmom3:

• debramommyof4
    January 28 at 8:32 PM

With deschooling I think it depends on the child.  I have never had to deschool.  My kids have always loved learning with me and done well. 

I have seen it recommended that for every year of public school you deschool for a month. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28 at 9:18 PM

It isn't supposed to but every child is different & some don't need the full amount of time & some do!

There is a thing you can do to keep the learning going, it is called strewing & what you do is bring in books, games & kits that might interest them. You leave these things around the house so they will find them (you don't make them use them or look at them). If the stuff interest them they might come to you & say something about it, tell them what the thing is & that you where interested in it but that they are more then welcomed to check it out because you are not going to be using it anytime soon! If they really like it you will find them using what ever it is all on there own. Also take them to museums, zoos, aquariums, for nature walks & to the stores to "help" shop for grocery's & house hold needs. There are so many learning opportunity's that happen every single day that you will find them learning in ways you never thought of that way before!

Quoting Truluv4ever: Oops! Yes, I do mean deschool. So if you deschool for the amount of time that is recommended will that affect their grade level or their learning?? Thanks for your help~

Quoting usmom3:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts