Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Small Group/Middle School group ideas?
January 28 at 11:19 AM

We are doing a small group thing with our neighbor.  We were doing cake decorating, now I think we are ready for something different.  The neighbor is a 14 yo girl, then I have an 11.5 yo boy and a 10.5 yo girl.  At the neighbor's house (where we would most likely meet) they also have almost 5 yo and 4yo boys.  The 5 yo likes to try to join in, but can't do as much as the big kids.

Anyway, we are trying to come up with ideas of a little group thing they could do once a week.  Any ideas?  It is freezing here, so it really needs to be doable inside only for the winter.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    January 28 at 11:35 AM

Is there something in particular you are looking for?  Is the group doing like home-ec type stuff (cake decorating)?  Or is it more liek art lessons?

• TJandKarasMom
    January 28 at 11:38 AM

It's really just me and the other mom trying to get our kids together.  She has kind of taken me under her wing in this first year.  So it could be anything.  My kids thought of a science lab, creative writing, robotics, and critical thinking using the Constitution (we got that idea online lol).   So really anything goes.  Just something to keep them interested and learning.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Is there something in particular you are looking for?  Is the group doing like home-ec type stuff (cake decorating)?  Or is it more liek art lessons?

• bluerooffarm
    January 28 at 11:45 AM

Ahhh I see!  That's a really cool idea.

Board games?  Book club?  Cooking?  Weaving or knitting or crocheting or emboidery?  Sculpting?  Metal tapping (art)?  

How about designing a house....you could build it with cardboard and plan out the lighting etc, then do the interior design.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

It's really just me and the other mom trying to get our kids together.  She has kind of taken me under her wing in this first year.  So it could be anything.  My kids thought of a science lab, creative writing, robotics, and critical thinking using the Constitution (we got that idea online lol).   So really anything goes.  Just something to keep them interested and learning.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• romacox
    by romacox
    January 28 at 12:17 PM

Go for what the kids thought of.  When we create something ourselves, we are more likely to make it work, than if it is dictated to us....kids are no different.   Also involve the older children in helping keep the younger ones involved.  I have taught  from K through 6th grade using games and discussions.  The little ones love watching the older ones, and learn quickly from them. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• KickButtMama
    January 28 at 12:20 PM

It sounds like your kids had some awesome ideas!

• PinkButterfly66
    January 28 at 12:25 PM

Have you ever played with sculpy?  The kinds of crafts that you can do with sculpy is almost endless.  The kids could make jewelry, little figurines, etc.  and then bake them in the oven.  There are lots of tutorials and books to get you started.  The little ones can do simple things like making animals and the older ones can do jewelry or cover altoid boxes  for example.  Check youtube too.

• TJandKarasMom
    January 28 at 1:40 PM

Great ideas!  Thank you everyone!

The mom and I talked some more and decided we don't need to limit it.  We will spend a week or two (or longer depending on interest) on a topic and just let the kids lead.  We have quite a list of things to try.  I'm just excited to have a consistent day and time to get the kids to be with this other girl and the little ones to have that interaction at least weekly. 

• coala
    by coala
    January 28 at 3:47 PM

We have a girls craft group that has been set up locally....and the girls are the ones who come up with the ideas and the parents pull it together with the items we have on hand in our own supplies.  I think if you let them decide what they want to do then they will stay engaged longer and you can even come up with things the little guys can do that is more age appropriate for what the big guys are doing.  You would be surprised at how much information the LO's pick up while the big ones are learning.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 28 at 4:41 PM

Such great ideas! I have nothing original to add but I wanted to say I think it is great that you & the other Mom are working together to do this!

• TJandKarasMom
    January 28 at 7:42 PM
    She has been such an awesome support for me. I left a note on her mailbox last April after a lot of thought (years of thought) about hsing. She emailed me that evening and invited me over to talk about it all. She has let us borrow tons of books and has answered my millions of questions. And has been super supportive when others in my life weren't.

She was exactly what I needed. If I can do anything to repay her, I try! I'm glad we have become friends and that our kids enjoy each other :)

Quoting usmom3:

Such great ideas! I have nothing original to add but I wanted to say I think it is great that you & the other Mom are working together to do this!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN