Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bldjrs123
Math u see????
January 23 at 9:54 AM

How many of you use this?

What do you like/ dislike about it? 

Any one used the delta or gamma books? As those will be the ones we start with if decide to use it..

Are the teacher books good? 

Are the teachers books really needed? Do they help you explain the things to the children?

Replies

• debramommyof4
    January 23 at 9:56 AM
    Bump! I am looking into these as well but we will be starting with Alpha and Beta I think.
  • bluerooffarm
    January 23 at 10:09 AM

We are using Gamma this year with my oldest.  I like them.  I don't remember exactly what comes with the student pack and what comes with the teacher pack, but the teacher textbook has the answers for all of the workbook pages in it.  I have used it a couple times when there has been a mistake or something.  Also there are days when the videos hve come in handy as well.

We use the blocks a lot!  Maybe every Monday and Tuesday, usually by Wednesday or Thursday they are ready to do the problems without a net so to speak.

I also like the fact that it relates nearly everything to real life....Multiplying the 5s tables to nickels, the 7s tables to days in a week etc.

Dislikes....hmmmmm.....I don't really have any, but I do rearrange everything (all curriculums) so we just don't do anything we don't like.  I run it differently for each of my boys because they have different learning styles, so one uses the video a lot while another uses the blocks every day and another uses the texts more.

• Chasing3
    January 23 at 10:24 AM

i like it.

I have a 4th grader who might have a math learning disability. I have not sought an actualy diagnosis. But once I started homeschooling this past Sept, something with his ability to understand and make connections in math was not right. Advice I got was to try MathUSee.

I started with Alpha and he finished in about 2 months - but he clearly had many "ah-ha!" moments with using the manipulatives and finally getting why adding two numbers works the way it does! He is almost done Beta now. We'll probably start Gamma next week. This is a kid who really needs mastery practice. It's my secret goal to start Delta before June, but whatever happens is fine... he might slow down once the multiplication starts in Gamma.

I love how easy it is and there is no planning involved on my part and I like that he can put the dvd in the computer himself.

From what I can gather, it gets knocks for being considered behind what is taught in schools. I'm not sure that's true, as it appears to land kids in the same relative age/grade by algebra. I also would imagine a lot of homeschoolers would get thru the books at a faster pace than a classroom would using the same curriculum.

• Chasing3
    January 23 at 10:27 AM

oh, I think it's worth getting the teacher pack, because of the video. I think you could get by without the hardcover teacher manual, but we use the video for every lesson. Plus his video lessons are like 3 minutes long - so a perfect length for a kid who isn't loving math!

i have not used the test books at all for alpha and beta because he's going thru at such a quick pace (IMO) so this is really like a review/solidify concepts at this stage. I will start with gamma though, I think.

and I'd say get one set of manupilatives.

• bldjrs123
    January 23 at 10:29 AM

Great thanks my ds has a hard time mastering stuff and he needs repetive work and stuff that breaks it down for him and this seems to be great for him from what i see... I could always add more worksheets and other things for him to do to get him to have more repetive stuff... my dd pretty much "gets" bout anything we do after a few lessons. My ds just has a major memory problem with everything we do

Quoting Chasing3:

i like it.

I have a 4th grader who might have a math learning disability. I have not sought an actualy diagnosis. But once I started homeschooling this past Sept, something with his ability to understand and make connections in math was not right. Advice I got was to try MathUSee.

I started with Alpha and he finished in about 2 months - but he clearly had many "ah-ha!" moments with using the manipulatives and finally getting why adding two numbers works the way it does! He is almost done Beta now. We'll probably start Gamma next week. This is a kid who really needs mastery practice. It's my secret goal to start Delta before June, but whatever happens is fine... he might slow down once the multiplication starts in Gamma.

I love how easy it is and there is no planning involved on my part and I like that he can put the dvd in the computer himself.

From what I can gather, it gets knocks for being considered behind what is taught in schools. I'm not sure that's true, as it appears to land kids in the same relative age/grade by algebra. I also would imagine a lot of homeschoolers would get thru the books at a faster pace than a classroom would using the same curriculum.

• bldjrs123
    January 23 at 10:32 AM

we have been working on mult and just started some division.. so thats why im not sure which to start with (gamma or delta) im thinking of getting both so we can just work on the multi and division together like we have been.... ughh i hate decisions lol

Quoting Chasing3:

oh, I think it's worth getting the teacher pack, because of the video. I think you could get by without the hardcover teacher manual, but we use the video for every lesson. Plus his video lessons are like 3 minutes long - so a perfect length for a kid who isn't loving math!

i have not used the test books at all for alpha and beta because he's going thru at such a quick pace (IMO) so this is really like a review/solidify concepts at this stage. I will start with gamma though, I think.

• KrissyKC
    January 23 at 10:46 AM

It's not really "behind"... it's taught totally differently.    For example, in the Gamma level, it teaches the basic multiplication very slowly, but covers many subjects in depth that have to do with multiplication that are probably covered in a higher grade.   However, they aren't introduced to division or anything to do with division that same year... JUST multiplication.    This makes them seem "behind" in some ways, but after several years of using it, you realize they are mastering math concepts at a deeper level.

Quoting Chasing3:

i like it.

• bluerooffarm
    January 23 at 10:50 AM

I love the way you put that!  I agree totally!

Quoting KrissyKC:

It's not really "behind"... it's taught totally differently.    For example, in the Gamma level, it teaches the basic multiplication very slowly, but covers many subjects in depth that have to do with multiplication that are probably covered in a higher grade.   However, they aren't introduced to division or anything to do with division that same year... JUST multiplication.    This makes them seem "behind" in some ways, but after several years of using it, you realize they are mastering math concepts at a deeper level.

Quoting Chasing3:

i like it.

• KrissyKC
    January 23 at 10:51 AM

We were in the same boat when we switched to MUS this past year.    My son was going into the fourth grade and I was in a dilemma.   He already knew multiplication itself really well, had done some division... but he didn't have some of the other concepts that is taught in the Gamma level.   We looked at the chapters and scope and sequence on the website and realized we didn't want to skip Gamma.

Instead, we skipped some of the stuff that was too easy at the beginning.   He watched the video's 3-5 times per week and would just take the test and ace it.   Midway through the book, it got more challenging, and now that he's on the final couple lessons... he takes a week or even more if we are busy, to finish a lesson.

He has one lesson left, and I need to order Delta this week so we have it soon.    He should finish delta by the beginning of next school year, which puts him more back at his grade level.   We didn't mind backing up.   It was a success.

Quoting bldjrs123:

we have been working on mult and just started some division.. so thats why im not sure which to start with (gamma or delta) im thinking of getting both so we can just work on the multi and division together like we have been.... ughh i hate decisions lol

Quoting Chasing3:

• KrissyKC
    January 23 at 11:04 AM

So, I've responded to two posts so far, but haven't answered the basic questions.

Yes, we use it this year.

I bought the student book and the teacher manual/dvd off the manufacturer for my elder two.   Gamma (as I explained previously for my son) and Zeta for my elder daughter.   At the time, I didn't buy it for my kindy nor did I buy the manipulatives.   We used a cheap dollar store punch out cardboard base ten "blocks" for the few lessons that they NEEDED the manipulatives (one or two for each of them).

We love it, math was grueling in Saxon, Rod & Staff, and BJU for us.   It just was such a chore every day for me and for the kids.   They learned much of it, sure, but it was such a pain to get them to be willing to do it.   We are almost done with both Math U See books and it's been the easiest subject to do this year.   They still groan when I say, "Math Time" ... but not with as much emphasis and they both say how thankful they are for MUS because of how much better math is.   We have had to deal with a ton less dawdling over math as well.   I wish we had found it sooner.

RE:   Teacher's book.    If you are buying from the website, the DVD and the teachers book go together.   Honestly, I've only used the teacher's book for grading so I don't have to do it all in my head.   It was very helpful at the Zeta level for grading.   I never once cracked it open to teach the kids.   So if your kids don't seriously struggle with math or if you are at a level you can re-teach the video to them at the table without a teachers manual and you can grade their work in your head... then no... buy the DVD used off some one and you don't need the book.   However, if you think your child will need more than the 5-15 minute video once a week, then go ahead and get it and make your own decision.   My kids did great with only the video.

((although, I worry about my kindy and if she will need more in the future, for now, I can do the activities with her without the teachers guide because hey, it's kindergarten.   I found a used DVD for her (primer) and we just watch it together, and then practice what we saw on blank paper.   It cost me $4.00 for it.   With our calendar activities that include a lot of math (counting, money, 100's chart, etc.) This is all she seems to need at the moment.))

Side note:   I found a double set of the manipulatives used and the algebra inserts.   I bought them because the price was so low, $25 for all of it.)   My kids have enjoyed playing around with them now and have used them a few times just for fun.   It has been much more valuable for my kindy.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN