Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Homeschooling different levels
January 22 at 9:32 AM

Is there anyone who homeschools multiple children on different levels?  How do you arrange your day so that each child is getting the instruction they need?  Right now I'm managing fine with 2, but next year we might keep all 4 home!  Currently we do history and science together and they often do spelling together since the activites are the same with the words being different, but all other subjects are split. 

Replies

• hipmomto3
    January 22 at 9:46 AM

Mine are 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 5th grade.

We start the day together, usually reviewing stuff we are all working on (like Spanish or state capitals, watching a video, doing the date/calendar, etc). Then we start off with math. The younger two have a practice worksheet (skill review) so I give them that, first, while I teach the lesson for the day to the 5th grader, then once she gets started on her problems, I usually start with the 1st grader on her math lesson because she's faster at her practice sheet than her 2nd grade brother. :) We do her lesson, then she starts her problems and then I do the lesson with the 2nd grader. Occasionally I will have to stop helping one to answer a quick question for another, but usually I make them wait until I'm finished with the child I'm working with, first. 

Once they finish math, they have another list of things to do - maybe spend 20 minutes on Cosmeo, do some phonics or other type of worksheets (the younger ones), reading a chapter from a history/literature reader (oldest one), watching an educational video, correcting work from the day before... somehow it all kind of works out.

One great benefit to homeschooling multiple ages is that sometimes, if I'm say, helping the 2nd grader, and the 1st grader wants her math worksheet graded, the fifth grader will check it. It's nice to see them help each other out, and it reinforces kindness and empathy (she always makes sure to tell her which ones she did a great job with).

I've found that other than math and reading (what they read themselves), they can all benefit from the same activities and materials. Sure some of it might be slightly over the six year old's head, or some of it might be slightly dull to the fifth grader, but the basics are the same for all grades.

I know this will change next year as the oldest is entering 'middle school' grades and will do more academic coursework (we are not fans of pushing academics too hard through elementary - let them be little! is my motto :) ).

• KickButtMama
    January 22 at 9:49 AM

Mine HS at the same time, they come to me with questions. Also I try to teach them together some subjects - like history, social studies, etc. They learn the same thing at the same time, saving me some time. 

• debramommyof4
    January 22 at 10:09 AM
    I have a 2nd,1st, k and preschooler. All my. Children do history and science together.

My 2nd and 1st graders do spelling and writing together. They do separate lit and math. My 2nd grader is learning Spanish and my 1st grader is working on sign language.

My k and preschooler do math and lit together. My preschooler is working on recognizing her letters. I have to add she is 3 so it is more like she is getting exposure to all letters and their names over and over till hopefully she recognizes them on her own. My kinder is 4 and knows how to read so we play games and do a bit of work in a workbook when he wants.

We all do a circle time where I review the calendar and weather. We say the pledge. Then I read them a few problems from Bedtime Math or we do a brief literature activity.

After that the older two go work on their math on their own while the youngest two and I do our math lesson. We then work on letter recognition with my 3 year old then she goes to color the letter. My 4 year old and I do a bit of reading. Last I read them a story, we are currently doing fairy tales, they draw a picture and I write a sentence they narrate. Then they copy it as best as they can. Then they are done for the day and go off to play or work in workbooks of their choice. It takes about an hour.

Now my oldest two are done with math, unless they got stuck. So I look over their work. We then do spelling. After which we work on what ever we are writing. The way the book works I read them something and they do the work in small chunks. Then I send one off to watch the video for their language of choice while I go over missed math and practice their language with them. I also go over literature at this time. What we are reading and what projects we are working on with it. Then I switch.

We do science and history 2 times a week and on those days we do them right after circle time so we are all still together.
  • bluerooffarm
    January 22 at 10:31 AM

I have a early k, 1st and a 3rd grader (who is taking classes at multiple levels).  We all hs at the same time.  They have all of their class times together.  Everyone is studying the same topics in history, geography, and science at the same time, but we teach them at different depths.  (while my pre-k is learning where Europe is and the cardinal directions on the map and the surrounding oceans, my 1st grader is learning the regional areas and the seas and major mountain ranges, and my 3rd grader is learning the countries)

We all sit down to do language arts together but while I am reading a story to the younger 2, my older goes to his room to read his story.  Then the younger ones will either put the events in sequential order, draw a picture and describe a character,  or something along those lines while my older and I discuss the conflict or fill in a witch's hat plot diagram or write a character sketch about his story.

Then everyone moves onto the more mechanics based LA.  My oldest will fix a paragraph or circle all of the verbs and practice with spelling or phonetical word building while my middle boy reads a phonics book (HOP or Bob) or puts together letters phonetically to make words or practices his sight words.  Since my middle works on that for about 30-45 minutes and the oldest works on that for nearly an hour, middle gets a break while the youngest and I practice finger stretching, dropping phonemes, rhyming, letter sounds, etc for 15 minutes.

We just try to put our day together like puzzle pieces.  

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 22 at 10:53 AM
    Mine are 10th, 8th and 5th grades.

My youngest is advanced and the middle one has some issues so for several years they did science, ASL, and language arts together and I helped them separately with math and history.

My.oldest has always been am independent worked and wants his assignment sheet and to be left alone. Sometimes he will jump in if he sees.us doimg something fun but I don't usually hqbe to "teach" him.
  • paganbaby
    January 22 at 11:27 AM

I have 8th grade and 3rd grade home right now. It's a big gap and we're still sorting things out,lol.

We usually start off with a video or show in history or science (whatever we're learning that week) then I read Life of Fred to ds while dd does her language arts on the computer.

Then ds does his writing practice (mazes) while I read dd her Life of Fred.

After that, I supervise ds as he creates a comic book online (language arts) DD reads a book.

Then all of us sit down for history or science.

After that, ds might choose to write a note. DD makes lunch.

After lunch we all do Arts, Home Ec, or Science experiments.

• KrissyKC
    January 23 at 10:17 PM
    Mine are....advanced 6th grader...4th grader... kindergartener... and 19 month old.

I combine them as much as I can.

All three students do.... science, asl, family reading, bible study, missionary and map study, exercise... and special activities.

My older two combine history, some math warm ups, spelling, and I'm challenging them with a 7th grade lit program.

They do their individual work at baby's naptime and I have a full daily board with activities for the kindy and time to read Or play an educational game with her. I end my time with her practicing printing something for her independent work. If baby isn't up yet...I get a little mommy time.

• KrissyKC
    January 23 at 10:19 PM
    Forgot to mention that my older two do math u see this year on their own. I'm pretty hands off which really helps. I just make sure they do a decent little bit every day, test properly, and grade the tests.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts