Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
2chillins4me
Confused
January 22 at 9:27 AM

When I come on here.  I feel bad.  Y'all seem to have it all together.  We started homeschooling this year, and we don't seem to know what we are doing.  We do the curriculum we bought, but it's not very fun.  I don't know if we are doing enough.  We delayed my 6 yr old because of his b-day.  However, we are still working on Kindergarten level things.  He can read and do some math, not much though.  Then I have a 7th grader and she does the bare minimum she doesn't want to do anything extra or fun.  Is she doing enough? 

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    January 22 at 9:36 AM

Oh, sweetie!  Do not compare yourselves to others.  You are on your own path.  First, it does get easier over the years, so you comparing yourself to someone who has been homeschooling for 2 or more years is just going to frustrate you.  

I cannot speak to how much you are doing.  What do you mean by the bare minimum?  You say you are doing a curriculum.  For some curriculums, the bare minimum is a lot of work, for others IMO more supplements are needed.

I always have my kids read for a half hour (yep, even the ones who "can't read", they can looks through magazines, picture books, easy readers, graphic novels, etc and often they do pick up a few words or can piece together some meanings.) extra every day.  I also read while they do.  It's nice to have a quiet environment and they get to see that reading is important to me as well.

• debramommyof4
    January 22 at 9:38 AM
    With the 7th grader it is to the point she needs to take some responsibility for her own education. The bare minimum in my mind means she probably would not do great in college. But I do not know your curriculum. So maybe find out what her goal is and go from there. If she does not want to go to college it is not a big deal.

With your 6 year old it is not a big deal. I would try to add in some fun so later it is not so hard to do.

You have to remember most have us have been homeschooling a longer than a year. The first year is always the hardest. You are finding your feet and what works for your family. Every year I make changes and every year it is easier not to always second guess myself. But every year I still worry "am I doing enough".

You can do this. And if all you can get from your children is the bare minimum, change it a bit at a time.
  • KickButtMama
    January 22 at 9:46 AM

Well, first let me tell you, no one has it all together all the time. Secondly many of us who post on this board have been HSing for close to, or more than a decade.  If you had spoken to me during the first year I was a basket case! I tried to follow a specific curriculum and felt it was an epic fail. I felt like it was boring and that my son was miserable. It took a little while, and trying a lot of different things, to find what worked for us.

my eldest is turning 13 this year. One thing about these tween'ers, they push buttons. I made it so that life outside of learning is super boring. No tv time, no games, etc. I give my kids the choice of a project that they have to do all on their own to present to the family in 2 months. They work on the projects out of boredom as much as excitement. 

• ablackdolphin
    January 22 at 10:05 AM

I think that's the nature of being a homeschool teacher, you always feel like you are not doing enough.  I heard long ago that MORE is not always better.  Go for quality rather than quantity.  Maybe the prgrom isn't the right one, don't force it.  You may have to try others to see what fits for each of them best.   A program that works for one child may not be the right one for another.

Have you looked into RightStart Math? It's a lot of fun, lots of games and tons of hands on.  You certainly have to be involved but it's worth it to see them catch on in a fun way. Lessons are short, usually 10 - 15 min or so and there are very few boring worksheets.

• 2chillins4me
    January 22 at 10:07 AM

I read on here that teaching textbooks is behind level.  That is what we use for math.  She failed math at the public school level last year, she was being bullied and just hated school.  I don't have to fight to do school, she just doesn't like "extras".  My 6 yr old loves anything to do with learning.  He reads constantly.  My 12 yr old refuses to read unless I read with her.  That's what I mean by no extras. She loves music and art but I have to get her to do the basics also right?

• debramommyof4
    January 22 at 10:18 AM
    I use teaching textbooks and they do seem behind but if you put her were she is at then that is enough in math. If she wants to do art and music maybe you can say today we are doing this lesson in math if you do all of it then I will let you work on this art project for 30 min. But there can be no fighting or dragging of feet. Than if you read this chapter and do this assignment for English I will let you do this for music for an hour. Then with science and history I would make hands on projects and experiments that she will want to do.

This works with my kids, but they are younger. I hope it helps.

Quoting 2chillins4me:

I read on here that teaching textbooks is behind level.  That is what we use for math.  She failed math at the public school level last year, she was being bullied and just hated school.  I don't have to fight to do school, she just doesn't like "extras".  My 6 yr old loves anything to do with learning.  He reads constantly.  My 12 yr old refuses to read unless I read with her.  That's what I mean by no extras. She loves music and art but I have to get her to do the basics also right?

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 22 at 10:47 AM
    My 13 yo is the same way. He has adhd and a mild processi g disorder that makes reading very hard for him. He went to publik K and 1st amd it shattered any love.of learning or.desire to learn necause tje teacher convinced.him he was stupid and worthless. It took until 6th grade for him to even consider a co-op type settimg or do anything but the bare minimum.

You need to give it some time. I agree with PP who suggested finding out what ger long-term goal is and also what her interests are now. Use those to your advantage. Mine has 2 goals right now, Eagle scout and be a massage therapist.

Eagle scout requires merit badges in lots of educational subjects. Three Citizenship badges..community, Nation and world
    First aid, finance, family life, sports/fitness. Cooking, etc so I use those as his school work. I do that with DD's girl scout badges as well.

He will not need a.high speed university for massage therapy so we.are.wprking to get him ready for community college and a trade program. That is perfect for him!
  • Cemommster
    January 22 at 11:26 AM

Hun, first of all we don't have it all together.  The first year is the toughest. Remember, she is learning more then you think, because she is in a 1 on 1 enviromenet

• NYCitymomx3
    January 22 at 11:35 AM

I have a 7th grader too.   He has a big say in what curriculum we're using and what kind of schedule we have.  We use various books and programs and we're very relaxed about it.  Everything is tailored to his learning style.  In addition to formal academics (maybe 2 hrs/day) we watch documentaries, go on field trips, and do classes and activities with some local homeschool groups.  Ds also does martial arts several times a week and a weekly religion class.  He has a lot of interests and spends a lot of time pursuing them.  I encourage and foster that in any way I can.  

If you are concerned about not doing enough, then take a look at the Typical Course of Study (from Worldbook).  It has a nice list of general things to cover for each grade.  I always refer to it and even use it as my instruction plan I send to my district (I'm in NY where there are more homeschool rules).  You can use it as a starting point or a monthly checklist, whatever you like.   Look into the Charlotte Mason method.  If focuses on good literature, nature study, art and composer study, and history.  It's a gentle and fun method of learning, yet very thorough.  

Also, look at the bigget picture, not just the sit-down table work she does.  Try to come up with a "curriculum in retrospect" if it makes you feel better.  Every evening jot down everything she did all day.  Does she write in a diary or a blog?  Does she research things on the computer?  Did you go out somewhere?  Did she read anything?  Did she create something?  What did she watch on TV?  These all count as learning.  Write them down and you'll probably be amazed at how much learning she actually does on her own.  

• paganbaby
    January 22 at 12:21 PM

I do not have it all together LOL! This is my first year too. I've bounced around so much it's not even funny. We seem to be finding our pace though, sort of,lol. My first question is, what curiculum do you have and what do you find boring about it?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts