Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
chotovec82
Maybe I'm being petty but this really annoyed me...
January 21 at 6:33 PM
So I went anon and wrote this post in another group and got mostly negative feedback. I'm gonna try to explain it better here.

My husband and I have a set of friends. We've been friends since our oldest kids were 4 and 5 months. Yesterday we had them over to hang out. Now they come over every weekend so we do not consider them guests in our home anymore. Ok a little background. This family has 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl. Their kids are spoiled rotten and whine about almost everything. They also expect to get what they want when they want. Once they pitch a fit one of their parents tries to do whatevr the kid wants.

So we were at my house and my kid and her kid were playing skylanders. My son likes to run through the game and pick up very few things. Her son wanted to pick up everything and fool around. Once you get so far away from each other, the character who is furthest away ends up dying. Now our kids have played this game tons of times before and this is the first time her son has pitched a fit over they playing style of my son. They also play other games such as Halo (yes I know it's violent and we supervise) and her son whines because Aiden hardly ever dies and he dies often.
Anyway the kids mother yells at my son to "play the game right." I got irritated and told her that he was playing "right" because there isn't a right or wrong and if her son didn't like how mine plays then he doesn't have to play; however, this is the first time her son has complained about it. She continued to tell my kid and her kid how to play the game. Eventually I turned the game off because of the fighting and arguing and her getting snippy with my kid. Her kid got an attitude with me about it. I ignored him and his dad did something about it.

Am I wrong to think that it was fine how my son was playing the game. He slowed down for her son and her son wanted to just mess around. My son wanted to actually beat the levels. Also my son wasn't doing it to be mean and spiteful; that's just how he plays and it's never been an issue before.

Replies

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    January 21 at 6:47 PM

No, I think that kids just have different playing styles and if it was a problem, you redirect just as you did.  I think it was odd for your friend to get on your kid about playing "right", which means her son's way, not his way.  Maybe take a time out from the video games for a bit so the friendship doesn't get affected.

• Precious333
    January 21 at 6:56 PM
    Sigh, i think taking the game away was a good idea, doesnt matter who was right or wrong. We have had meltdowns on our end with cousins,.especially with my oldest who geta frustrated very easily, so we just move on from what was causing the meltdown. I try and let the kids.work out things, but there is a limit and sometimes adults need to step in.
  • chotovec82
    January 21 at 7:03 PM
    Yea I think that I won't have them over for a while. Maybe we all just need a break from each other. I find their attitudes annoying after a while. The adults cannot play a game without her (the other kids mother) getting mad because she is losing, etc..
    For instance, we were playing Dicapades and she didn't know a lot of the answers. She got mad and yelled, "how am Isupposed to know that? I wasn't even born yet!" So it's a constant thing when they come around and it's drama. I probably wouldn't be friends with them still if it weren't for my husband and her husband being best friends.
  • celtic77dragon
    January 21 at 7:09 PM

Before I go any further - by negative feedback - do you mean that you didn't like the feedback or that they were actually mean spirited in nature?  

• chotovec82
    January 21 at 7:11 PM
    I didn't like that they were calling my kid a brat. I can take another persons opinion but you don't need to name call my kid.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Before I go any further - by negative feedback - do you mean that you didn't like the feedback or that they were actually mean spirited in nature?  

• xomrs.chase
    January 21 at 7:13 PM
    I wouldn't invite them over.

It sounds like both sides need to learn to compromise, but it seems her side had the worst reaction of the two.
  • Idntreallycare
    January 21 at 7:14 PM

I think it's pathetic that she got so upset about a game.... let the boys play how they want to

• Idntreallycare
    January 21 at 7:14 PM

she sounds like a brat, no wonder her son was whining

Quoting chotovec82: Yea I think that I won't have them over for a while. Maybe we all just need a break from each other. I find their attitudes annoying after a while. The adults cannot play a game without her (the other kids mother) getting mad because she is losing, etc..
    For instance, we were playing Dicapades and she didn't know a lot of the answers. She got mad and yelled, "how am Isupposed to know that? I wasn't even born yet!" So it's a constant thing when they come around and it's drama. I probably wouldn't be friends with them still if it weren't for my husband and her husband being best friends.

• chotovec82
    January 21 at 7:15 PM
    I'm more about letting the kids sort it out themselves. I don't think adults need to intervene all that much. I got irritated because she yelled at my son over a stupid game. I don't yell at her kids at all so I feel she shouldn't yell at mine.

Quoting xomrs.chase: I wouldn't invite them over.

It sounds like both sides need to learn to compromise, but it seems her side had the worst reaction of the two.
  • celtic77dragon
    January 21 at 7:19 PM

I totally agree - and it is actually against CM rules to talk bad on someone else's child in that manner. 

For what it is worth, you handled it exactly how I would have. Especially with how your friend was treating your son (that couldn't have been helping the situation).

I have a rule in my house that when a guest is here, that you compromise more in the guests favors. However, not to the point that you are being a "sucker". There are times though when it is just best to call something quits. 

Quoting chotovec82: I didn't like that they were calling my kid a brat. I can take another persons opinion but you don't need to name call my kid.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts