Homeschooling Moms

mlefferts
Need advice- New to homeschooling
January 21 at 10:29 AM

Hi All!

I'm new to homeschooling. My kids are currently in public school, but we will be full-time RVing soon and that just isn't a feasible option, not to mention Common Core is BS (coming from a highschool math teacher). We are going to homebase in a place that offers K12 and Calvert for free through the state, and I was wondering if anyone had tried them and has input? I really would love not to have an added expense for homeschooling, and this would make it readily possible. 

Thanks!

Meghan

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    January 21 at 10:47 AM

First I will admit that I am biased against K12.  But it is different state by state.  When I used them in PA, I needed to meet with our teacher coach regularly.  So it was not as accomadating to our moving around the country with hubby as they had professed.  Also the kids needed to be in "attendance" to their online classrooms at given times.  So we could not travel from 9am to 12:30 on Monday-Thursday.

I (at this point) welcome the expense of homeschooling for the freedom of being away from the system that was set up.  It certainly works for some families (especially ones with ony 1 child) but you need to really reseach the K12 from the state you are basing out of.  

• debramommyof4
    January 21 at 11:47 AM
    I have to agree with Blue on it being something that would be hard to do on the road. In California we have to meet with the teacher once a month. Plus you always have to have Internet and there are a ton of books and things.

I will say if you and your children need super structure it may be the best way to go. But you can get stuff for almost free or buy your own curriculum. I think it would be easier and you can teach your kids about the places you are at.
  • mlefferts
    January 22 at 4:38 PM

Any thoughts on Calvert?

• mlefferts
    January 22 at 4:51 PM

And the state is Florida in the four corners area, so county may be polk, lake, orange, or Osceola.

• chotovec82
    January 22 at 5:23 PM
    I honestly have no clue about the online virtual school programs. I'd personally just go with your own curriculum and teach from that. I love doing my own independent schooling with my kids. We keep it at their pace (which is something you cannot do with the K12 programs). Also you're able to specialize your curriculum if you find that your child needs a higher level or a lower level in certain courses. I never use prepackaged programs so that I can specialize my curriculums. Perosnally, I'd never use K12. Hope someone else has a more positive viewpoint
  • Leissaintexas
    January 22 at 5:33 PM

I don't know about Calvert, but if common core is an issue, K12 won't work for you, as it too will be common core based. K12 is essentially public school at home, er, RV as the case may be lol. If you really want the freedom to homeschool and incorporate your travels, unit studies or other on-your-own curriculum would be best. BTW, I'm so jealous! I would love RV living!

Homeschooling Moms