Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
The mixed feelings we can have about our kids...(kind of OT)
January 19 at 8:15 AM

Yesterday I went from being very proud of my DS11 for placing 4th in the spelling bee...to wondering wth he was thinking when he cut himself deeply with a pocket knife and chose to hide it instead of telling a parent!

What are they thinking sometimes?!

Am I the only one that has children that makes them feel a myriad of feelings about them throughout a day?

Replies

• TidewaterClan
    January 19 at 8:47 AM
    Not at all but I would discuss the cutting with your pediatrician. My older dd Haley has OCD and her therapist & psychiatrist have asked if she's ever cut herself. Does he have any symptoms of OCD? Haley's comes with a heaping helping of depression, but Zoloft & cognitive behavior therapy have done wonders. It could be something else, of course, but getting treatment would help him immensely.
  • TJandKarasMom
    January 19 at 9:06 AM

Quoting TidewaterClan: Not at all but I would discuss the cutting with your pediatrician. My older dd Haley has OCD and her therapist & psychiatrist have asked if she's ever cut herself. Does he have any symptoms of OCD? Haley's comes with a heaping helping of depression, but Zoloft & cognitive behavior therapy have done wonders. It could be something else, of course, but getting treatment would help him immensely.

oh, I should have been more clear.  He cut himself trying to do something with the knife..he was trying to take a pen apart and was using the knife to pry the end off...it slipped and kind of stabbed his thumb.  He hid it because he thought he would be in trouble because he is supposed to let us know before he uses the knife.  He wasn't trying to cut himself, he just wasn't being safe.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 19 at 9:13 AM
    My sons do that all the time. Their common sense seems to take longer to develop. One moment I am in awe and the next I am wondering what he was thinking. I remember as a kid using tree limbs to break our fall as we slid down about 15 feet or so. It was not our brightest idea. The tree never recovered. Who knew the tree depended so much on their limbs. LOL
  • TidewaterClan
    January 19 at 9:14 AM
    Now I'm with you. I have a younger cousin who cut herself due to depression & she ended up having all sorts of issues but never had treatment.

Sorry he got hurt, and I hope it wasn't too bad. Hopefully he'll ask permission next time.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting TidewaterClan: Not at all but I would discuss the cutting with your pediatrician. My older dd Haley has OCD and her therapist & psychiatrist have asked if she's ever cut herself. Does he have any symptoms of OCD? Haley's comes with a heaping helping of depression, but Zoloft & cognitive behavior therapy have done wonders. It could be something else, of course, but getting treatment would help him immensely.

oh, I should have been more clear.  He cut himself trying to do something with the knife..he was trying to take a pen apart and was using the knife to pry the end off...it slipped and kind of stabbed his thumb.  He hid it because he thought he would be in trouble because he is supposed to let us know before he uses the knife.  He wasn't trying to cut himself, he just wasn't being safe.

• TJandKarasMom
    January 19 at 9:25 AM
    Treatment can make all the difference in situations like that!

The knife now lives in my bedroom, so he has no choice but to let us know before using it ;). I questioned giving them the knives for Christmas, but decided they should learn to use them safely. DH showed him how he should have done what he was doing.

The cut wasn't too bad, it's fairly deep but it didn't bleed for too long. He also got some practice at properly cleaning and dressing a wound. Learning experiences are all around us!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Now I'm with you. I have a younger cousin who cut herself due to depression & she ended up having all sorts of issues but never had treatment.

Sorry he got hurt, and I hope it wasn't too bad. Hopefully he'll ask permission next time.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    January 19 at 9:25 AM

Yeah, all the time.  My kids are brilliant.  And dumber than dirt.  It's amazing to me how they can discuss some really advanced stuff, but completely fail to notify a parent of an overflowing toilet.  OR even choose to use a different one?

My mom cut herself so bad prying the pit out of an avocado.  Surgery, bad.  Proper knife handling is key!

• TJandKarasMom
    January 19 at 9:26 AM
    Their common sense seems so far behind their 'book smarts' lol. I hope it catches up soon! I'm sure we have all done things as kids we look back on wondering why we thought it was a good idea!

Quoting jen2150: My sons do that all the time. Their common sense seems to take longer to develop. One moment I am in awe and the next I am wondering what he was thinking. I remember as a kid using tree limbs to break our fall as we slid down about 15 feet or so. It was not our brightest idea. The tree never recovered. Who knew the tree depended so much on their limbs. LOL
  • TJandKarasMom
    January 19 at 9:33 AM
    My kids are just like that...we only have one toilet, so you should probably let someone know if you can't fix it yourself!

I wasn't allowed to do much as a child. I didn't cut an onion until I was 24. Seriously. My parents just did everything, it's a lot easier than taking the time to teach, and reteach. I made some stupid choices, but the stories my DH tells...I never would have been allowed to do half the stuff he did. But he is so competent now and has so much common sense. So I try to give my kids more chances to learn things on their own and be more independent. I actually cut myself on one of the knives when I was closing them to wrap them for Christmas.....and decided it was because I had never handled a pocket knife in my life. So DH gave us all a lesson on Christmas morning. We should all know how to handle a knife! Hope your mom was ok!

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, all the time.  My kids are brilliant.  And dumber than dirt.  It's amazing to me how they can discuss some really advanced stuff, but completely fail to notify a parent of an overflowing toilet.  OR even choose to use a different one?

My mom cut herself so bad prying the pit out of an avocado.  Surgery, bad.  Proper knife handling is key!

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    January 19 at 9:52 AM

I totally get the part where it's just easier to do it yourself.  My 5 kids are all in a 6 year span, so if one wants to learn something, they ALL want to learn something.  And my oldest is your youngest's age.  So it gets toooooooooooooooooo much for me.  I am trying to let them do more, but somedays I'm not really capable of it.  Somedays I have no choice--my now 6 yo used to climb the counters, get the banana bread, use his knife of choice (a freaking cleaver!!!!), and just hack away at the loaf to get him some breakfast.  If I live through this whole experience, I will be one lucky ducky!

My mom is mostly fine.  There's nerve damage, but I think she can mostly feel in most of her hand.  The funny thing, she gets on me now for how I get a pit out of an avocado.  I always use the blade to lodge into the pit and twist it out.  She used the tip to try and shove it out.  I don't recommend her method.  EVER.  But you do learn from your mistakes, and if you're lucky (and close enough), you can learn from others' mistakes as well.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: My kids are just like that...we only have one toilet, so you should probably let someone know if you can't fix it yourself!

I wasn't allowed to do much as a child. I didn't cut an onion until I was 24. Seriously. My parents just did everything, it's a lot easier than taking the time to teach, and reteach. I made some stupid choices, but the stories my DH tells...I never would have been allowed to do half the stuff he did. But he is so competent now and has so much common sense. So I try to give my kids more chances to learn things on their own and be more independent. I actually cut myself on one of the knives when I was closing them to wrap them for Christmas.....and decided it was because I had never handled a pocket knife in my life. So DH gave us all a lesson on Christmas morning. We should all know how to handle a knife! Hope your mom was ok!

Quoting hwblyf:

• TJandKarasMom
    January 19 at 10:19 AM
    It's way easier to do things yourself. There are plenty of things I just do and don't teach because teaching it takes so much more time and energy, both of which I could use more of.

My parents just had two kids, and we were three years apart. I think they could have let us be a bit more independent and make some of our own mistakes. But I've learned plenty.

A cleaver for the bread!!! Ahh!!! I'd say if your kids live through it you'll be lucky! Lol, just kidding, they will learn from their own mistakes. And someone must have been watching out for him with a cleaver in his hand!

Quoting hwblyf:

I totally get the part where it's just easier to do it yourself.  My 5 kids are all in a 6 year span, so if one wants to learn something, they ALL want to learn something.  And my oldest is your youngest's age.  So it gets toooooooooooooooooo much for me.  I am trying to let them do more, but somedays I'm not really capable of it.  Somedays I have no choice--my now 6 yo used to climb the counters, get the banana bread, use his knife of choice (a freaking cleaver!!!!), and just hack away at the loaf to get him some breakfast.  If I live through this whole experience, I will be one lucky ducky!

My mom is mostly fine.  There's nerve damage, but I think she can mostly feel in most of her hand.  The funny thing, she gets on me now for how I get a pit out of an avocado.  I always use the blade to lodge into the pit and twist it out.  She used the tip to try and shove it out.  I don't recommend her method.  EVER.  But you do learn from your mistakes, and if you're lucky (and close enough), you can learn from others' mistakes as well.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: My kids are just like that...we only have one toilet, so you should probably let someone know if you can't fix it yourself!

Quoting hwblyf:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts