Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KaraBethE
Next week I will start homeschooling 6 instead of 2, I'm nuts.
January 17 at 11:02 PM

I am bringing 4 of my 5 foster kids home to join my 2 bio kids to homeschool. I have to have them enrolled in our states virtual academy which doesn't make me real happy but as things are moving to severance and adoption soon it won't be too long before I can change that if I don't like it. We have been trying to get them out of the school for months now and now that it is happening I don't feel anymore prepared than I was when we first started. I am excited and nervous and several other emotions all at the same time!! I hope my bio kids don't get upset because it has always been our time without the foster kids. My boys love them and want us to adopt them as much as my husband and I do but still they have always had me during the day alone. They are 13 and 10 and I enjoy them so much (well, most of the time!)

Any advice from any of you who use the virtual academy in your state or have large families? We have 7 kids so it;' not new or anything but I haven't attempted to homeschool more than 2 at a time.

Replies

• ablackdolphin
    January 18 at 7:35 PM
    I have no advice but can I just say you are amazing and a huge inspiration!!!!
  • KaraBethE
    January 18 at 9:21 PM

My foster kids are 3, 6,7,9-those will be the newly homeschooled ones. My boys are 10 and 13 and I have 16 yr old foster that is going to high school. With this curriculum I get 1 computer for the 3 kids, and of course its a desk top which doesnt make me all that happy. I have no place for it in the boys classroom for it and I am not going to share my laptop with them. So this weekend is being spent trying to figure out what to do and how to rearrange.

I love the 287 kids comment, I would love to know their system. I hope this works out well for us. My only concern right now is I have a herniated disk in my back and have to go to physical therapy several times a week and have no one to watch them. I have to find someone who is back ground checked and available during the day. I think I will contact the therapist clinic and see what they recommend.

I love having them with me and people think I am nuts when I say we ahve seven kids and I take them to the grocery store and all the place I go regularly. I am looking forward to this and am nervous too, but mostly excited. They deserve this chance to have a home life that isn't so sad, no more cages and no more starvation and no more fear of going to school right next to their old house and having their dad come and kidnap them and kill them. It's really no wonder they can't get through the day there and the 6 yr old has to be taken out from under tables and chairs because he is afraid he is going to be found.  They will get a whole lot of love and laughter here and finally get to be kids.

• KrissyKC
    January 18 at 9:46 PM
    Wow... there is going to be a huge adjustment. Especially with one computer. Also, if you were doing it yourself, you could combine their subjects and teach them together. Using the public school at home stuff is going to be harder. One computer, too. Wow...

Quoting KaraBethE:

My foster kids are 3, 6,7,9-those will be the newly homeschooled ones. My boys are 10 and 13 and I have 16 yr old foster that is going to high school. With this curriculum I get 1 computer for the 3 kids, and of course its a desk top which doesnt make me all that happy. I have no place for it in the boys classroom for it and I am not going to share my laptop with them. So this weekend is being spent trying to figure out what to do and how to rearrange.

I love the 287 kids comment, I would love to know their system. I hope this works out well for us. My only concern right now is I have a herniated disk in my back and have to go to physical therapy several times a week and have no one to watch them. I have to find someone who is back ground checked and available during the day. I think I will contact the therapist clinic and see what they recommend.

I love having them with me and people think I am nuts when I say we ahve seven kids and I take them to the grocery store and all the place I go regularly. I am looking forward to this and am nervous too, but mostly excited. They deserve this chance to have a home life that isn't so sad, no more cages and no more starvation and no more fear of going to school right next to their old house and having their dad come and kidnap them and kill them. It's really no wonder they can't get through the day there and the 6 yr old has to be taken out from under tables and chairs because he is afraid he is going to be found.  They will get a whole lot of love and laughter here and finally get to be kids.

• KrissyKC
    January 18 at 9:48 PM
    You will do great though! It will just take some trial and error getting them all enough time on the computer to do their work.
  • KaraBethE
    January 18 at 10:24 PM

I wish I could just do my own thing with these kids like I do with mine, but since they are foster kids I can't. It took months to get everyone on the team to agree they need to be away from the public school they are at now. It isn't safe for the kids to be there and it isn't safe for the school.

However, once the adoption is done I can take them out of the virtual school and we will do our own thing. My boys are ahead in everything but math and have fun with learning. I hope this school doesn't turn them off of school even more since they will have so much make up work to do. One of the girls also has permanent damage because of the things her dad did and after the treatments start its going to make her farther behind. I am going to concentrate on teaching them to read. They barely can read, its so sad.

• KickButtMama
    January 19 at 7:10 PM

Heheheh, I'm so tired from my move I thought that was a typo at first...lol

Quoting katyq:

The duggars homeschool their 287 kids, they just developed a system ...don't know what it is but it works for them :p 

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 19 at 7:27 PM

I would start the oldest this week, and then the next, and then the next. It sounds like the younger two aren't really school aged yet so that should help. 8)

• KaraBethE
    January 21 at 6:05 PM

I unenrolled them from public school today, well I guess the virtual academy is public but you get my point. I am excited about not having to take them to school in 20 degree weather and I don't have to get up at 6 anymore. Yay, me!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts