Homeschooling Moms

KickButtMama
Would you do it?
January 13 at 12:18 PM

I've been asked by a couple of people to teach an engineering / robotics class at our local co-op. I don't think they realized how much that might cost....or maybe they did...I'm super frugal so I'd never pay more than $40 for a co-op class..but robotics would be roughly $65 per student. Shoot, if we were to do the Lego robotics it's upwards of $400/robot!  The $65 would give the kids each a robotic arm that they would build, and I'd teach them about the computer programming so they could program their robot to perform tasks. Does that seem too expensive or would you still sign your child up?

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 13 at 12:38 PM
    I would for that price! DS1 wants.to do the BSA Robotics merit badge but the cheapest kit on their suggested list was $80. So a class, plus the build for $65 is a steal.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 13 at 12:38 PM
    How long? I would pay $65 but could not do $400. I have priced robotics and they are expensive. I think $65 is very reasonable. You can easily pay that much for a kid.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 13 at 12:40 PM
    I meant kit.
  • KickButtMama
    January 13 at 12:41 PM

It's a 12 week co-op class, yeah I think the 400 would only work if it was a large class and they all pitched in for 1 robot. I'd rather a lesser quality robot that is cheaper and that each child got to keep.

Quoting jen2150: How long? I would pay $65 but could not do $400. I have priced robotics and they are expensive. I think $65 is very reasonable. You can easily pay that much for a kid.

• KickButtMama
    January 13 at 12:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/OWI-OWI-535-Robotic-Arm-Edge/dp/B0017OFRCY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2H772XJ4KJBN&coliid=I3TFYK82DO6EDP 

they also have a seperate curriculum you can get to go with it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I would for that price! DS1 wants.to do the BSA Robotics merit badge but the cheapest kit on their suggested list was $80. So a class, plus the build for $65 is a steal.

• kmath
    by kmath
    January 13 at 1:11 PM

For a robotics class I would pay that in a heartbeat!

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    January 13 at 1:11 PM

We got that one for $39, but it was also from Amazon.  I know the price swings a lot.  I think $65 is appropriate for that kind of class, but you might want to feel out interest at that price because I'm kinda cheap, too, and that pricetag might freak me out.

Quoting KickButtMama:

http://www.amazon.com/OWI-OWI-535-Robotic-Arm-Edge/dp/B0017OFRCY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2H772XJ4KJBN&coliid=I3TFYK82DO6EDP 

they also have a seperate curriculum you can get to go with it.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I would for that price! DS1 wants.to do the BSA Robotics merit badge but the cheapest kit on their suggested list was $80. So a class, plus the build for $65 is a steal.

• Knightquester
    January 13 at 1:13 PM

It depends on how long the class last, what they'd get out of it and so on.  I don't think I would pay $400 unless the class lasted most of the school year, then I would strongly consider it.  I would, and do, pay up to $65-$250 for my kids to take a class that lasts half a semester and teaches them something I'd like them to learn.

Talk to the parents and let them know the cost it would be, buffer the cost so you're not walking away paying some things out of pocket or not getting paid at all for your services.  Let the parents decide if they still want to do it, and at what cost.

• bluerooffarm
    January 13 at 1:24 PM

Around here a single day course (8 full hours) on programming (so no robotic arm which is very cool!) is listed at a museum for $95 and the parents are required to send a lunch and a snack or send money for the cafe.  So yeah, in a heart-beat!

• AutymsMommy
    January 13 at 1:25 PM

Not too expensive at all. I'd sign my kids up!

Homeschooling Moms