Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TidewaterClan
1800s school day - would love extra ideas
January 9 at 9:22 PM

Hello Ladies!

The girls and I read a super fun story today about a group of children who went to an 1800s settlement and lived for a week as a child there.  We want to 'live' it, so we're going to wear dresses tomorrow and move the bench into the family room for our 'school.'  They'll write on their small chalkboards, and I'll use the bigger one.  

Later we'll make biscuits and a pie from scratch to go along with dinner.

Do you have any other ideas off the top of your head we could use?

Thank you! 

Replies

• irvinehiker
    January 9 at 9:51 PM
    I have no ideas to add but that sounds like fun! Have you guys read the Laura Ingals books? That might be a fun addition.
  • TidewaterClan
    January 9 at 10:08 PM

That's a great idea!  I still have my set from when I was their age, so we can start those.  I found "Pioneer Sampler" at the used book store, and it's filled with recipes and schoolwork, so we'll use that too.

Quoting irvinehiker: I have no ideas to add but that sounds like fun! Have you guys read the Laura Ingals books? That might be a fun addition.

• SarahNElijah
    January 9 at 10:39 PM
    Maybe living without electricity? Sewing or making a homemade toy or old fashion game (like ring toss, bean bags or maybe making a cornhusk doll)?

Sounds like great fun!!
  • kmath
    by kmath
    January 9 at 10:46 PM

Sounds like a cool experiment.  No electronics that day.  You should look up some of the games children played and try to incorporate them.  Have fun!

• TidewaterClan
    January 9 at 10:51 PM

That never hit me, but it's an excellent idea!  I'll leave the lights and such off.  That part of the house is sunny, so we'll be fine. :)  We have some rings, so that would work.  I have extra fabric scraps, so a fabric-cornhusk doll would be an easy thing to do.

Thank you!

Quoting SarahNElijah: Maybe living without electricity? Sewing or making a homemade toy or old fashion game (like ring toss, bean bags or maybe making a cornhusk doll)?

Sounds like great fun!!

• TidewaterClan
    January 9 at 10:53 PM

Excellent idea!  The girls and I will have to see how we handle not having electronics (except the stove later on, we'll pretend it's a wood one!) until after dinner.  I'll check in here real quick in the morning before we get started though, lol. smile

Quoting kmath:

Sounds like a cool experiment.  No electronics that day.  You should look up some of the games children played and try to incorporate them.  Have fun!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 9 at 10:56 PM

Sounds fun & the others have already suggested all the things I thought of! I hope you have a great adventure!

• kmath
    by kmath
    January 9 at 10:56 PM

I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Excellent idea!  The girls and I will have to see how we handle not having electronics (except the stove later on, we'll pretend it's a wood one!) until after dinner.  I'll check in here real quick in the morning before we get started though, lol. smile

Quoting kmath:

• TidewaterClan
    January 9 at 10:58 PM

Thanks BJ!  I'm packing their lunches in pails (plastic is all I have but it'll work) before I send them off to school.  It should be a lot of fun.

Quoting usmom3:

Sounds fun & the others have already suggested all the things I thought of! I hope you have a great adventure!

• irvinehiker
    January 9 at 11:00 PM

I bet if you look over on currclick.com they would have unit studies to go along with the LI books.  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a great idea!  I still have my set from when I was their age, so we can start those.  I found "Pioneer Sampler" at the used book store, and it's filled with recipes and schoolwork, so we'll use that too.

Quoting irvinehiker: I have no ideas to add but that sounds like fun! Have you guys read the Laura Ingals books? That might be a fun addition.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN