Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Home school and working
January 9 at 12:57 PM
Do any of you home school and work? We are facing some really big life changes and there is a possibility I will need to work, at least part time. My kids are 10, 6, 3, and 1. They have never been to a school. I would rather them not go to a public school and I just don't think we will be able to swing a private school. My 6 and 3 year old daughters are autistic and I worry about them not getting the support they need/deserve in a public school, and being labeled as problem children.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 9 at 1:16 PM

Do you have family close by that can help with caring for the kids so that you can work? You could work opposite shifts from your husbands so that you don't have to worry about child care!

• redhead-bedhead
    January 9 at 1:17 PM

This is what I was going to ask too.

Quoting usmom3:

Do you have family close by that can help with caring for the kids so that you can work? You could work opposite shifts from your husbands so that you don't have to worry about child care!

• kirbymom
    January 9 at 1:18 PM
    Yes, we do. Where there is a will..there is a way. There are many here who work and homeschool.
    It can be done. It just depends on how you want to homeschool.
  • ambcortez
    January 9 at 1:20 PM

I do. Z worked 8-4, so I homeschool in the mornings. I work 5-9 shifts a few nights a week. Sometimes if our day goes longer than planned or if we have any distractions, I write down lesson plans and Z will usually help out if I have to go to work.

Mine are 7 and 4.

I support homeschooling and Z and I had to decide how we were going to make it work if I had a job and this way works for us.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 9 at 1:33 PM

I picked up a part time job in November to help with a tight time. Now, I think I will hold onto it until we have our savings replenished. I have 4 kids, too. 12,8,4,2. It can be hard but not toooooo hard. 8)

• ripemango
    January 9 at 1:38 PM

I do.

We work around it. I *think* it's fairly common knowledge that DH does most of the HSing.

You can make this work too.

• KickButtMama
    January 9 at 1:51 PM

I actually always worked part-time, roughly 20 hous per week. But it was at a gym so the kids could come. About 3 years ago I had to stop working outside the home due to my medical issues. But now I work on commission for my craft pieces. It's hard to juggle both, but it is totally possible. 

• LavenderMom23
    January 14 at 2:28 PM

I go to school part time and leave mine with my mom or husband if he's off work that day. My oldest has to do work while I'm gone for two days a week. But I find time to do my first grader myself. 

Others hire nanny's. OR do night jobs and then stay up part of the day to home school. Basically running on coffee, but say it's worth it.

Why don't you go into avon or scentsy? Something you can do and still be home?

• rsrangel
    January 14 at 3:47 PM

I work part time at the hospital (4 days a week).  My mom keeps the kids 2 days out of the week, and my husband is home the other 2 days (he works for himself so it's flexible).  I send what they need to do, and check it when I get home.  On my days off we add in science and history, and I focus on teaching them new things or reviewing things they need more help with. 

• armygirl16
    January 14 at 4:55 PM
    I work full time and am a full time student myself. My husband is a stay at home dad and does the homeschooling. My mom may move in with us and if she does then my husband may get a job. We will try to do semi-opposite shifts so someone can be home most of the day.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN