Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
celtic77dragon
What have YOU learned?
January 8 at 1:54 AM

What have you learned from being a mom and a teacher thus far - what would you tell your younger newbie self as a mother/homeschooler, if you could? Is there anything that your younger self would remind you of now?

girl giving flower

Replies

• debramommyof4
    January 8 at 2:09 AM
    Have patience. You can and will do it. Do not try to force learning down their throats. They will not love learning that way.
  • celtic77dragon
    January 8 at 2:10 AM

I was a optimistic creative free spirit when I got into motherhood. I had to learn the need for more structure and boundaries. Sometimes I wish that I had more of that same spirit (without the foolishness of youth). 

As for homeschooling, I don't have too many regrets because I know it took me living and learning to figure things out, but, I do have one. I wish that when I noticed my kids struggling in the area of reading, that I had not taken some of the advice that I did - and handled the situation more wisely (and sooner).

• TidewaterClan
    January 8 at 4:10 AM
    This is a great post Celtic! I'll have to think on it a little bit to give a better answer. Right off the bat though - I wish I had asked about a therapist last school year for older dd instead of assuming she was just nervous. We could have worked with her OCD so much sooner.

I've learned having everyone pitch in with the housework makes them proud AND it's so much faster. "Many hands make light work" really is true!

Teaching my peeps is the most enjoyable 'job' I've ever had. If I could do motherhood all over again I'd have been less nervous and started sooner.
  • PurpleCupcake
    January 8 at 9:06 AM

I wish I would have known the massive difference between my son and daughter as far as pace was concerned.

I knew ds was slower and dd was faster.

But I did not realize how much faster.

I think if I knew I would have change dds curriculum all together. And I would have broken dss curriculum into smaller units like I do now.

I also would have done 9-1 like I do now instead of my original 8-3. 

• tiredmomfor2
    January 8 at 10:06 AM
    I would tell myself to calm down and chill out. They will get there and in their own time. To enjoy it..because I would blink and there would be three of them and it would be three times harder to keep up with them all. Lol
    Oh and that the tears are worth it, but the yelling is not. :( I'm still learning this one. *sigh*
  • bluerooffarm
    January 8 at 11:57 AM

As a new mom, I was coming out of a teaching job.  I tried to follow a rigid schedule.  Specific nap times and the whole deal.  Then we spent a whole year living in a camper and building a house.  So I would tell me to enjoy it more.  Forget about stressing over the time schedules.  Enjoy the loooooong time it takes to cook over a campfire and enjoy the babes because before ya know it there are 3 running around.

For school, I would tell me not to sweat the laws so much.  The first year I gave myself an ulcer!  I was terrified by the evaluator and all of the horror stories.  I would remind me that I had been a teacher and I could argue down any complaints the evaluator had anyway.  And I would tell myself NOT to cave in and use k12 the second year.  It caused far more problems than it solved.

• crazybluedaisy
    January 8 at 2:01 PM

I have learned Algebra and have learned how to teach it!  I have also learned a lot of special things about my kids that I love and appreciate since we are at home all day together now.  The used to go to public school.  I would tell my younger selt to just enjoy them and don't worry about what you cannot check off.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 8 at 2:21 PM

I would tell my younger self to question everything now & make your own choices not just default what was done to you!  My younger self would probably remind me what it was like to be a child & to be more forgiving!

• KickButtMama
    January 9 at 12:09 AM

When I was in college I took a personality test that was supposed to tell me what type of carear I should shoot for. It said I should avoid working with children as I don't have the patience. And I believed it! But, miraculously, I've learned I actually do have patience....enough that I teach at 2 co-ops! So whenever I hear parents say they don't have the patience, or that they don't know if they could be around the kids all the time, I explain that I didn't think I could do it either until I tried! Now I couldn't imagine my life any other way! 

Ironically, that test said my best carear choices would be as a scientist or a CEO - as I'd have no trouble putting the needs of the company ahead of the needs of the people...lol...I must have had PMS while taking that test...lol

• KickButtMama
    January 9 at 11:11 AM

Heck I was never a teacher, and I still tried to jump right in to an 8-3 schedule....with a 4 y/o.....epic fail! Lol. I think those of us raised in the public/private school system can't imagine 'school' in any other way. But it doesn't surprise me how many homeschoolers, by the 2nd or 3rd year have completely relaxed into whatever wonky schedule works at their house..lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

As a new mom, I was coming out of a teaching job.  I tried to follow a rigid schedule.  Specific nap times and the whole deal.  Then we spent a whole year living in a camper and building a house.  So I would tell me to enjoy it more.  Forget about stressing over the time schedules.  Enjoy the loooooong time it takes to cook over a campfire and enjoy the babes because before ya know it there are 3 running around.

For school, I would tell me not to sweat the laws so much.  The first year I gave myself an ulcer!  I was terrified by the evaluator and all of the horror stories.  I would remind me that I had been a teacher and I could argue down any complaints the evaluator had anyway.  And I would tell myself NOT to cave in and use k12 the second year.  It caused far more problems than it solved.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts