Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jwhit8791
How do I start again?
January 7 at 4:45 PM

I just don't seem to have it in me to get things started at all again.  The kids are wanting to....my 6yo asks when we are going to start school again.  

I had a baby 7 weeks ago and am still having a hard time getting basic stuff done around the house.  Not to mention that we have had 3 power outages in those 7 weeks (2 of which we had to leave the house because it was freezing).

I am just frustrated seeing as this was the fourth, I thought we would be out for a little while but this is just silly.My house is a wreck, the kids aren't getting done what they need to, and I can't seem to get it all done.  We don't have a schedule yet (with the baby I mean).

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    January 7 at 4:50 PM

Can you pick up one subject at a time?  My second year homeschooling, we took the whole summer off and I just could not get moving.  So I started with one subject, every 3 days I added another.  It eased us back in.

Good luck!  It is always difficult to add another human being to the mix! 

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    January 7 at 6:28 PM

Yeah, I don't think it gets easier as you get more.  I have 5, and each took just as long to get adjusted as did any of the others.  I like Blue's idea of easing back in.  Honestly, when I had my surgery last spring, and I was just doing my oldest and youngest at that point, I had a much longer period of being out than I thought I would.  Give yourself permission to be off your groove, but also push yourself to get that groove back.  Does that make sense?  I think if you're feeling it at this point, you're ready to push yourself.  But also know that your normal is not what your normal was.  You could also start studying Chinese new year and talk about new and what that means.  How do things change with new?  What chances does new afford us?  Why are we fascinated with new?  And why won't that new baby settle down?????  :)

• ripemango
    January 7 at 6:32 PM

after having mine the house was just insane.

Maybe instead of making it this big thing just focus on having the 6 yr old do something learning related tomorrow. Don't make it bigger than it is! (I sometimes spend so much time stressing over doing something and thinking about all of the steps, but when I just jump in it is much easier than I had been worrying about.)

This time will pass. You can do this!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 7 at 7:12 PM

If the children are asking for school then make up things that they can do with little to no help from you or that they can figure out together. Take your time, things will get back on track & even if it takes a long time you will get everyone where they need to be in no time at all!

• kirbymom
    January 7 at 9:52 PM
    Oh sweety! *HUGS*

These women are giving you great advice. Listen to that advice. You know why you should listen? Because YOU JUST HAD A BABY! :)
    I was the same way with each new addition to our happy little family(7). Just take one subject at a time. Start with something that can be started with a conversation. Like the one Helmut suggested or something like things they already know. That way it is getting back into the swing of things more easily.
    Remember, your body, mind, spirit, are all in an chaotic change. You are in a process of finding your way to a normal balance of yourself. You might make sure that you are taking in as much of the vitamin B's as you can since they are extremely helpful in balancing out your body and your mind.
  • ablackdolphin
    January 7 at 10:34 PM

Can you hire someone to come in one time and clean/organize your home? Just having things clean and organized sometimes helps give you a fresh start.

• KickButtMama
    January 7 at 11:33 PM

I agree with the others, take your time. 7 weeks isn't that long! I remember when my youngest was about 3 months old I was pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt...I burst into wailing tears "I'm just so tired!" 

When my youngest was born I signed my eldest up for fun online 'school' like time4learning. Also I tried to include the eldest in assisting me with simple chores. Don't worry about formal school, it will all work out in the end! 

• jwhit8791
    January 8 at 8:03 AM

Thanks ladies!  I think that I am just frustrated with everything lately (might be those hormones still left over, LOL).  We will just take it one day at a time and see how it goes.  I like the one subject at a time.....and I wish I could get my eldest to help with chores.  He does ok, but I still get a lot of whining when I ask for some things.  It will all work out.  That should be my new mantra.

• PurpleCupcake
    January 8 at 8:49 AM

Good advice above. 

But, I would like to add, is there any possibility you are depressed?

Post partum depression? 

If so, please see your doc! 

• jwhit8791
    January 8 at 9:36 AM

Thank you for the concern, but I don't think that it is PPD.  I think that we have just gone through a lot in the last 7 weeks.  Natalie came 2 weeks late and I had to deliver by c-sec after 20 hours of labor (and she was my first non-natural delivery) so that took it's toll on me mentally and physically.  Then about 2 weeks ago we had a really bad ice storm (along with about half the country, it seems) and we went without power for 6 days.  We ended up having to leave the house after 1 day........and after coming back, a week later it went out again for almost 24 hours.  Both those times we ended up living in a hotel for a short period of time because with 4 kids.......we just couldn't rough it.

That is part of the reason my house is a wreck.  It seems like we haven't been here in forever.  Hoping to get my groove back soon though, or at least some kind of order.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Good advice above. 

But, I would like to add, is there any possibility you are depressed?

Post partum depression? 

If so, please see your doc! 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN