Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MamaJwlz
Homeschoolers in Georgia? - Help!!
December 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

HI! My name is Lisa...I am new to the group....I joined to find out mkore about homeschooling, get some support and information and pointers for homeschoolers...

My husband and I have been discussing homeschooling for a few years now...I want to start gathering info and finding out how to get started, what I need to do, where I find the info, etc....ANY info would be great - info from homeschoolers in Georgia would be even better!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• JadeTigr7
    December 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I'm not in Ga anymore but I homeschooled there for four years.  It's ridiculously easy to homeschool.  

http://www.gadoe.org/Curriculum-Instruction-and-Assessment/Pages/Home-Schools.aspx    

That's the site that you can submit your letter of intent online, or the address to mail it to.  You have to keep attendance of 180 days, and turn that in at the end of the year.  You are supposed to do standardized testing every 3 years starting in 3rd grade but you do NOT need to turn that in, just keep in in your records in case they are asked of you (in writing).

That site also contains the laws for homeschooling.

• katyq
    by katyq
    December 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I am about to move to Georgia. From what I have read, you simply need to give notice of intent to homeschool at least 30 days prior to the start of each school year via an online form. You also are supposed to keep track of attendance but that is the most asinine thing I have ever heard of since you can simply create a document entitled "attendance 2013-2014" , type in 1-180 and x them all out in maybe ten minutes time should you ever gave to provide such evidence. :p

• MamaJwlz
    December 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Awesome, good stuff, ladies! Thanks so much! Do either of you have any homeschooling pointers...things to keep in mind....maybe things you wishyou hadnt had to learn the hard way...or things to make it easier? How did you choose your cirriculums, etc? Thanks again!

• JadeTigr7
    December 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

That is exactly what I did, then just filed it it away for the end of the year, then turned it in. ;)

Quoting katyq:

I am about to move to Georgia. From what I have read, you simply need to give notice of intent to homeschool at least 30 days prior to the start of each school year via an online form. You also are supposed to keep track of attendance but that is the most asinine thing I have ever heard of since you can simply create a document entitled "attendance 2013-2014" , type in 1-180 and x them all out in maybe ten minutes time should you ever gave to provide such evidence. :p

• JadeTigr7
    December 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Keep an open mind and be willing to be flexible.  I've been homeschooling for 6 years now, and have only made two curriculum changes so far, but it's okay to make as many changes as you need to fit you and your children.

I use abeka for language arts, writing and math.  I use All about Spelling for Spelling and My Father's World for Science, History, Art, Bible and Music.

It's a good mixture of classical and hands on for us.  I started out exclusively with abeka and tweaked that program until I found I didn't like Science and History they had and the spelling wasn't working.

Other than that there's nothing I really learned the hard way.  I keep a baseline of work for each of my kids, which is not required by Ga but it's something I do for myself and because we're military and move around. 

Quoting MamaJwlz:

Awesome, good stuff, ladies! Thanks so much! Do either of you have any homeschooling pointers...things to keep in mind....maybe things you wishyou hadnt had to learn the hard way...or things to make it easier? How did you choose your cirriculums, etc? Thanks again!

• debramommyof4
    December 28, 2013 at 3:14 AM
    When you and/or your child hits a wall step back and recheck. Do not just push on.

The out come will not be worth it.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts