Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
dazguti
Help! My Excellent Reader No Longer Wants To!
by dazguti
December 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

My son is 5 and has been fluently reading for about a year - he easily reads at a first grade level, and has always asked for more to read. He's always loved it! Now, quite suddenly, he says he doesn't want to read any more and that he hates it. What!? I've never pushed, and have always kept it short, sweet, and informal.  Why this sudden change of attitude? And just before the age when he'd be starting Kindergarten in a regular school...very frustrating and disheartening...the only time he still delights in reading is if I write him little notes around the house, or even on the white-board. But he refuses to read books anymore :(

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    December 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Back off a bit. He's a boy and he's 5. I'm not saying he shouldn't have to read, but I am saying I would only require him to read for only his actual reading LESSON. Beyond that, don't force it; instead, leave quality, interesting literature around the house. New books, if possible (there's something irresistible about the smell of a new book to most avid readers).

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 27, 2013 at 2:56 AM
    I would start leaving him notes every where. Maybe even get a notebook & start writing short stories just for him to read about him & things he loves. I would not push him to read but make sure that interesting books where all over the house for him to stumble upon.
  • PurpleCupcake
    December 27, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Maybe take him to the store and let him pick out what he wants to read?

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    December 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Find things he loves to read. Does he like you to read to him? My son loves Garfield comic books. Go with whatever he enjoys.
  • kirbymom
    December 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    I think that him reading at 5 is great! Great job mama. :) I wouldn't worry about his feelings and not wanting to read right now. It's just a phase he is going through. As long as you don't make a big deal, then he won't either and this will just beat phase. I think you writing little notes is actually perfect for keeping his interest in reading alive. Plus, if you keep reading material laying about in places he is sure to see, as Yemen suggested, he might go through this phase more quickly than normally.
  • dazguti
    by dazguti
    December 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Thank you, Ladies! All great suggestions...I will keep you posted. Hopefully he'll come back around. I won't push for now, but at some point I'll have to insist (right?) like when he actually is first-grade age...I'm still thinking short and sweet at that point...
  • mem82
    by mem82
    December 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    I agree with this.it's how I got my reluctant reader to read.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Back off a bit. He's a boy and he's 5. I'm not saying he shouldn't have to read, but I am saying I would only require him to read for only his actual reading LESSON. Beyond that, don't force it; instead, leave quality, interesting literature around the house. New books, if possible (there's something irresistible about the smell of a new book to most avid readers).

• JKronrod
    December 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I agree with the other posters to ease up a bit.  I expect that part of this is that he's been happy that he could READ as opposed to wanted to read because he was interested in what he was reading.  Let's face it, first grade reading material is not particularly exciting, and as his interest and sophistication outstrips his reading level the excitement of knowing that  he can do the act of reading will pale as he becomes bored with what he is reading.  This transition from likes to read to uses reading to learn/entertain himself is sometimes a hard one, but it does happen.  I'd suggest focusing on increasing his reading level, and then spend some time at the library getting books that are a bit over his  level but are more interesting read a bit and then stop when he's getting interested.  He'll probably read just to find out what happened.  Also, one teacher I heard of used the trick of finding the most graphic and violent books about the sinking of the Titanic, etc. and then covering up the words with a simplified version, telling the students that she had cleaned it up and made it easier for them because it would scare them.  She'd have them read the simple version in class, but pretty soon they were peeling back the paper that covered the real (more advanced) words to find out what was so shocking, LOL.  The point is that you can't focus now on being able to read to keep him going.  Focus on content and you'll do better. 

• paganbaby
    December 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

This is exactly what I was going to say. In fact, it's pretty much what I do with my 8yo son. Except he tells me short stories which I write down and he reads again later.

Quoting usmom3: I would start leaving him notes every where. Maybe even get a notebook & start writing short stories just for him to read about him & things he loves. I would not push him to read but make sure that interesting books where all over the house for him to stumble upon.

• LostTheSlipper
    December 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Maybe he misses you reading books to him.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN