Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
midwestmom1977
Curriculum and Accreditation
December 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

What curriculum are you all using and is accreditation something that you are concerned about?  Edit: Thank you, ladies for all your replies!

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    December 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    We use a combination of bought and my own curriculum. Honestly I don't even think about accreditation.
  • debramommyof4
    December 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    This!

Quoting jen2150: We use a combination of bought and my own curriculum. Honestly I don't even think about accreditation.
  • Chasing3
    December 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

my state doesn't have any sort of accreditation for homeschoolers. 

I use a mix of curricula from large and small publishers - all of which had been or is currently used in public, private and religious schools. And lots of free stuff on-line.  

• Silverkitty
    December 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Most high schools are not officially accredited anymore, but since they are public high schools it seems not to matter.  I don't worry about accedation or any of the formal tests since the schools my daughter is looking at have alternate ways of enrollment. 

• TidewaterClan
    December 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM

We gaven't reached high school yet, but I know some people (in Ohio) are using the same classes at the local community college as the public school students.  I'll research that more this coming year, so I can make sure we have the prereqs taken care of.

• kirbymom
    December 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    We aren't worried about accreditation as we use our own thought of curriculum. We also buy old books such as encyclopedias, world history, science, English, events old math books. We even buy theological books, opinionated books. We buy(very cheaply) what we think we further their education.
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    December 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    We use a public charter.program but I pick/mix-n-match and choose all my own curriculum. As long as it is grade level or higher (and secular), I can pretty much have whatever I want.
  • celticdragon77
    December 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Our state (Pa) doesnt recognize anything homeschool related.

To be honest, I personally have ever known two homeschoolers (in my state) who "graduated" from homeschooling and went on to college. The one family had a mom that is teacher, the kids took a GED test, joined the army, and went to college. The other family had a mom that is a bookstore owner and used to be a teacher. Not all of her kids went on to college. The youngest one recently went on to college and the mom said it was a difficult process. Her daughter was flat out denied at some schools and it took quite a bit of work to get into the college that she eventually was accepted into. 

My daughter had been behind back in 3rd and 4th grade. 5-9 grades she homeschooled. She was really into homeschooling until 9th grade. She still wanted to homeschool, but she was screwing off quite a bit. So I put her in public school (for a few reasons).

The public school would not accept the 9th grade credits because we homeschooled. So she was made to repeat 9th grade when returning to public school. However, she still managed to graduate in 3yrs. 

When she returned to public school... she had to be put into honors classes and she STILL found it to be easy. Her teachers loved her and her grades were excellent. We didn't do anything rigorous or special when homeschooling. In high school her complaint was that the teachers sucked at teaching - and she learned best at home after school. 

My daughter wishes that she would have just kept homeschooling through high school and I don't think she would have had much of an issue getting into a local college. She now works and attends a local college. She is paying her way through - debt free.

• Leissaintexas
    December 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    I never consider accreditation. It has no importance. No actually looks at a school and says, oh wow, look at at that accreditation.
  • JKronrod
    December 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I don't think that accreditation is something to worry about unless you are doing high school, where it CAN make a difference in certain cases -- both if you and your child decide to give public school a try and/or for admission to universities.  There are ways around it, but you simply have to be careful (I recommend The Home Scholar website for information on high school home schooling and "validation" in lieu of "accreditation") and do your homework.    

Our oldest did 9th grade as a home schooled student.  He decided that he really wanted to do "regular" high school in 10th.  I strongly suggested that he do 9th again since he was a year ahead anyway by age, but he insisted.  The school would not recognize most of the classes he had taken (they did recognize a couple of math classes through EPGY and Japanese classes at the local community college but nothing else) since they were not "accredited".  This meant that in order to graduate with his class he would have to take 7 classes -- one each period with no study hall.  Having done that myself, I knew that this was very, very difficult.  It also meant carrying 40 pound of books on his back, since he had to do all his homework at home.   I think this was one of the reasons (although not the only one) he decided that he'd rather go to a smaller, private school.  It ultimately worked out (he's graduating from college next June if all goes well), but IMO if there is any possibility that your child wants to go to "regular" high school, you should check to see whether the school(s) you are interested in will only accept credits from accredited schools since that may affect your decision as to when you do the transfer over and/or which school is truly open to you.  (And, BTW, I consulted with an HSLDA-recommended attorney about the refusal to give credits -- there was apparently nothing that could reasonably be done.)

With respect to colleges, virtually all colleges have ways of dealing with unaccredited schools since even public high schools are sometimes not accredited.  In those cases you usually can "prove" the student's level of achievement (validate the grades in other words) by taking tests such as the SAT subject exams.  I know that the University of California system publishes the test scores necessary to comply with the so-called "a-g" requirements (essentially, if you are a resident that meets certain standards in a set curriculum with certain test scores they MUST offer you a place somewhere in the U.C. system).  Note, however, our second son  is only  a freshman in HS this year, but obviously I've checked, and we have a plan for how we are going to comply.

The other way that you can deal with this is to find an accredited school that will allow your student to take certain classes.  For example, most community colleges are accredited and colleges will not require additional verification for those grades.  We are fortunate to have an independent learning school (one-on-one tutoring) which is fully accredited.  My son is taking AP Spanish there this year which means that even if he didn't take the AP test (although he will, of course) the "A" that he will hopefully get in that class will be counted as meeting the language requirement for U.C. and other colleges. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts