Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
LilliesValley
We did it!
December 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM
So per our state guidelines we sent our letter to the school and odd last day of school is Friday. We met with a local hs group yesterday and that was the final push to convince my dh to pull odd mid semester. I'm excited and nervous. I feel a little unprepared even though I have all my resources together but I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!

I just had to share and if anyone has any more advice on hs in general or especially pulling mid year or suggestions on first grade curriculum or whatever I'd appreciate it.

I'm so excited. I didn't think dh would come around.

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    December 19, 2013 at 6:37 AM

congratulationsyou rock

• mem82
    by mem82
    December 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    Yay! Welcome!
  • mem82
    by mem82
    December 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    Make sure you deschool!
  • kmath
    by kmath
    December 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Take some time off before you guys jump into schooling.  She needs time to get used to being home first.  Congrats and good luck!

• LilliesValley
    December 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    Yeah we are planning on it. She wants to jump right in right away and I'm like slow down! Lol

Quoting kmath:

Take some time off before you guys jump into schooling.  She needs time to get used to being home first.  Congrats and good luck!

• Edenpeden
    December 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Can I ask what made you pull her mid semester? Im just wondering if the school did something you didnt approve of. I have no experience with schools yet, but I have heard some horror stories.

• debramommyof4
    December 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    That is exciting. We just did that with my 6 year old though it was from an online school.
  • LilliesValley
    December 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    She was starting to be really bored and when she would finish something they wouldn't give her anything else to do. So then she would talk etc and you can only say don't talk so much. I didn't even care if they gave her worksheets or books and didn't count them for credit jyst give her SOMETHING so she doesn't have to stare at the wall.

So that played a big part but my dh was still on the fence. We knew we were going to start in the fall but we got an email Monday saying that tge schools attendance was bad and parents needed to send the kids to school even if they were sick and THEY WOULD DECIDE IF THEY WERE SICK ENOUGH TO GO HOME. We were to send otc meds and only if they thought it was necessary would they send them home. All so they could have a blue ribbon or something rating. So that pushed us over the edge.

Oh and there are chicken pox and some stomach virus going around the school currently. I just find it insane that someone else's judgment is supposed to be better than mine and this is one of the best private schools in the area so it was time.

We also took her opinion in on this and she wanted to learn at home so that really helped too. Basically a lot of build up with the school and she was losing her love of learning so I was worried what six more months of school would do.

Quoting Edenpeden:

Can I ask what made you pull her mid semester? Im just wondering if the school did something you didnt approve of. I have no experience with schools yet, but I have heard some horror stories.

• LilliesValley
    December 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    Has it been a good experience so far?

Quoting debramommyof4: That is exciting. We just did that with my 6 year old though it was from an online school.
  • bluerooffarm
    December 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

We did that a couple years ago with my oldest son (to k12 school him) then we pulled everybody mid-year from the K12 school last year!  Both were really great choices.  The freedom has been great and to watch my kids thrive....it's very much worth the homeschooling effort!  Welcome!  And Congratulations!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts