Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
redhead-bedhead
New Bill that Ohio HSers need to be aware of. HUGE UPDATE! It's been withdrawn!!!
December 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

There is a Bill in the Ohio Senate that opens homeschoolers(including those using web-based schools) up to interviews, home visits, monitering, and more by JFS.

Any family who has had alleggations of abuse (doesn't matter if the allegations weren't substantiated.) will not be allowed to Homeschool. This will make it possible for those who do not agree with our choices to have power against us.

Here is the Bill:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=130_SB_248

UPDATE:It was posted on the Teddy's Law Facebook page that the Bill is being withdrawn. There hasn't been an official statement released yet.

Quote:https://www.facebook.com/Teddyslaw01

I will be posting a statement from senator Capri Cafaro on our withdrawing senate bill 248. I am sorry everything has become this way. We will continue our fight against child abuse. At this time Teddy's Law is done responding to questions and comments. And anyone who supports Teddy's Law I would urge the same.

I would like to apologize to Teddy for all of this. Our vision was to protect children from abuse and carry on his memory. This was about him and was never intended to be political. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Shawn Tedesco and the Teddy Law Team

It's official! The bill has been withdrawn:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Senator-Capri-S-Cafaro/279952678729649

Replies

• ablessedlife
    December 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    Wow! So if you neighbour doesn't like seeing your kids around during the day, she just needs to make a call and claim that she saw/heard something abusive.
  • irvinehiker
    December 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Hsing and abuse are 2 seperate issues.  Many abused kids go undetected in the ps system.  Scary stuff.

Thanks for posting to make us aware.

• redhead-bedhead
    December 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Yep, isn't that just grand! My grandmother doesn't like me homeschooling. Hopefully this doesn't pass because she will make a call the next day.

Quoting ablessedlife: Wow! So if you neighbour doesn't like seeing your kids around during the day, she just needs to make a call and claim that she saw/heard something abusive.

• redhead-bedhead
    December 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I just read that it's being fast tracked and will be in effect next school year if it passes.

• romacox
    by romacox
    December 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I am not in Ohio.  But if I were, I would joine with other home educators, and fight this.   It is unconstitutional, and according to Justice Kennedty, an unconstitutional law is no law at all.

• mhaney03
    December 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM

If the CPS agency would have done their job in the first place and rescued that boy, this wouldn't be an issue.  leave it to the gov't, state or otherwise, to use anything as an opportunity to limit freedoms.

• PurpleCupcake
    December 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Cafaro is an effing moron. Who does she suppose pays for all that "intervention"?

How many times has cps proven themselves as morons. 

So morons + a moron. 

And they name it "Teddys Bill".....more like "cafaro needs attention bill".

Under her logic I couldn't homeschool because my ex called cps on me when he was arrested and ordered to pay child support... 

A cps report is not a conviction. 

• TidewaterClan
    December 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM

This is bad news all the way around.  The father has a website about it, but I don't understand why he wasn't involved more before Teddy's death.  

Anyhow, thanks - I'm going to write to Cafaro via this website, as well as my local representative and U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown.  I just need to look through that bill again, and the Constitution, for some good wording.

• TidewaterClan
    December 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

The HSLDA has a new web page on it now, and mentions two Supreme Court cases that I'm going to include, as well as some good arguments. 

Like they said, this bill would not have stopped Teddy's abuse because CPS and the police never pulled him out of a house that was known to have an abuser (the mother's boyfriend). 

If this passes in Ohio it seems like it would open up the same kind of response in other states as well.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I really hope some of the homeschool legal defence organizations step up to help the Ohio homeschoolers to stop this bill before it gets passed.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN