Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mommy990109
Homeschool
December 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
I need some advice on homeschooling a 4 1/2 year old child. I'm going to start her when she turns five. And when I say advice I'm asking for help on I need to do since I don't have any money :(

Replies

• katyq
    by katyq
    December 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Teach math, science, history, language arts/phonics, reading, geography (my neighborhood), health and social studies (citizenship, being a good person, empathy) as well as music and p.e. I use math in focus singapore math, two books for each year. History in kindergarten is basically pilgrims and dinosaurs, music and art are whatever you want them to be but you can look up curriculums online. What you want to do is look up what a child should know by the end of kindergarten and try to build a curriculum around that. There are literally dozens of websites that offer free lesson plans and entire curriculums for free. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    December 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

As a home school workshop leader, I prepared a free web page to answer the most common questions for beginning educators. In the following web page, you will note that the first thing is to know your State Laws, and it gives you a link for that.

How To Home School

It also has a link to grade level requirements.  But keep in mind each child is unique, and the beauty of home education is that your child is not in a race with any other child.  It is OK if they are ahead of these things, and it is OK if they are not.  It is best that a child learn the basics before  proceeding to a "one size fits all measuring stick."

Grade Level Requirements.

I am also a tutor as well as a home educating grandmother.  Some parents get upset with me when I tell them that the most common cause of reading problems is caused by learning the phonic sounds incorrectly. For example: computers teach the sound of H as Hu, and P as Pu.  But we do not say Hu-a-pu-y for  happy.  As a result many children appear to know their phonic sounds,  but but run into trouble  blending  them to form words  It does not effect all children, and for those that are enunciating them incorrectly,  but are reading just fine, there is not need to reteach them.  However to avoid the problem all together , it is wise to teach them correctly to start with. 

Hear Phonic Sounds Free (for the educator so that you can make sure they are  getting the basics. )

Teaching The Phonic Sounds incorrectly confuses many children who are trying to learn to read. 

From now until tomorrow, Ring Around The Phonics is offering an opportunity  to win a free phonics game (14 early reader books included). 

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans  (very economical to do this as much as possible)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM

You can use what you have in your house for kindergarten with out ever buying a workbook or curriculum. Blocks & toys can be manipulative to learn to count & do math with. Anything that has color can help learn colors. All books can help learn letters & reading. You can make homemade play dough, homemade finger paint, homemade flash cards & home made worksheets.

• collinsmommy0
    December 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    There's several free online curriculums. easy peasy all in one homeschool curriculum is one.

• debramommyof4
    December 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
    Another free one is lessonpathways.com.
  • ablackdolphin
    December 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    Look at your library for preschool prep dvds, countries around the world dvds, read lots of books
  • PurpleCupcake
    December 17, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Thrift stores are full of curriculum especially around spring/summer. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts