Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
JaniceEckenroth
Anybody Doing a Mid-Year Switch?
December 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Looking for advice on doing a mid year curriculum switch --

Have you done it?  How did it go? Was it costly?  What was the deciding factor for you? And how did you figure out what to switch to once you decided it wasn't working for you? 

Thank You!

Janice E

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    December 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

We started the last six weeks of the school year and went for 9 years through high school. I bought grade level workbooks for both of my kids and supplemented with online and library resources. So it cost us less than $40. Best thing we ever did for our kids and family.

The kids were miserable in thier "very good" schools and begged us. So mierable I was constantly taking them to the doctor, we couldn't afford private school and were worried about truency, that's what decided us.

• bluerooffarm
    December 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Not this year.  We did a mid year switch in 2010 when we pulled my oldest out of public school.  We did a mid year switch last year when we pulled the older 2 out of a k12 program and bought our own curricula.

• kirbymom
    December 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    I don't think I am much help as I come up with our own curriculum so it isn't too costly to move onto something else if needed.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    December 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I am switching up Math, Math Mammoth isn't working for us.  Not sure exactly what we are going to switch to yet though.  We are adding in Handwriting.  We are changing typing to computer science because he pretty much has typing down and wants to learn codeing.  Since I piece mine together it isn't hard to change pieces of it up.  Depending on what math program I decide on it isn't going to be too expensive.  I got Handwriting without Tears for handwriting and we are going to use codeacademy and code.org for codeing, they are both free. 

• JaniceEckenroth
    December 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Not this year.  We did a mid year switch in 2010 when we pulled my oldest out of public school.  We did a mid year switch last year when we pulled the older 2 out of a k12 program and bought our own curricula.

How did those switches go for you?  Were they a positive thing for your family?

• JaniceEckenroth
    December 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quoting kmath:

I am switching up Math, Math Mammoth isn't working for us.  Not sure exactly what we are going to switch to yet though.  We are adding in Handwriting.  We are changing typing to computer science because he pretty much has typing down and wants to learn codeing.  Since I piece mine together it isn't hard to change pieces of it up.  Depending on what math program I decide on it isn't going to be too expensive.  I got Handwriting without Tears for handwriting and we are going to use codeacademy and code.org for codeing, they are both free. 

Great tips, thank you!!!!! :)

• bluerooffarm
    December 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Quoting JaniceEckenroth:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How did those switches go for you?  Were they a positive thing for your family?

Both switches were for the better.  We are much happier than we were with either Public school or k12!  

• AutymsMommy
    December 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I frequently switch things out if they do not work for us. Since I choose different pieces of different curricula (not one boxed curriculum for every subject), it's fairly easy to switch out. Costly? Depends on what I'm switching out. I can usually sell whatever didn't work for us though.

• KrissyKC
    December 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I haven't switched everything, but if things aren't working, yes... it's a wasted effort to continue something that is that bad!  It just makes them start to hate learning and you to hate teaching.

You can do it a number of ways.   Just come right out and say, "Hey, this stuff doesn't seem to be cutting it for our family.   We will take a week off (or two weeks or whatever) and then we will start again with X... however, if we don't want to fall behind, we will skim the stuff in here we know really well and maybe skip some stuff. "

As for costly, it depended on what we were buying and how much we felt needed changed.

As for what to switch to, we wrote down the stuff that absolutely was making the other curriculum "not work for us"... and what things MIGHT be working.

I read all the reviews about the curriculum I think MIGHT work, I look at any and all available samples, share what I find with DH and the kids....

Then make a plunge.

So... what specifically are you using?   What are you looking for?   What do you find is working?   What isn't working?

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    December 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Do do every subject yourself? I do science and history myself but use curriculum for the other subjects with a lot of tweaking.

Quoting kirbymom: I don't think I am much help as I come up with our own curriculum so it isn't too costly to move onto something else if needed.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts