Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
MY child was reading Harry Potter at two years old.
December 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I decided to try out the Magic tree house series for history for my 8yo ds. I showed it to him and he seemed interested so I'm going to run with it,lol. Finding interesting ways to teach him is a challenge to say the least. So I went on a few message boards to see what other homeschooling moms had to say and I was floored!

I don't know if my son is exceptionally dumb or everyone else has geniuses. But so many of these women are saying, "My 5 year old reads a Magic Tree House book a day just for fun." "My 4 year old reads two books a day!" "My daughter has been reading Harry potter since she was 2." And I'm like, my 8 year old is just getting comfortable with Cat in the Hat...

Replies

• Precious333
    December 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    I think thats normal. Thats about the level i was on at that age, my 7 year old is readong mth with me, and my 5 year old reads hop on hop with me (he will read words like ,hop, pop and that's it). My three year old I think is picking up reading really really fast! He knows the letters and sounds, without me even.encouraging it....all on his own! I bet he will start reading by next year!
  • TidewaterClan
    December 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    Lol, I was working when my youngest (8) was born. My best buddy & another lady each had children around the same time.

Every time my buddy & I would say something like "my child rolled over for the first time!" the other lady would say hers was walking. Ours walked, hers danced. We both figure by now her child is in college while ours are tackling 3rd grade!

Magic Tree House & Dr. Suess sound great btw.
  • tansyflower
    December 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM

reading and comprehension are two different things.  thats all i got to say about that O.o

• debramommyof4
    December 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    I think your son is right on level. My dd's read magic tree house rather quickly but my husband was gifted, and their sitter started working with them at 1 until my oldest was 3 1/2.

But I do not think any 2 year old can read Harry Potter and even if they could there are parts I would not want want my 2 year old to read.

My 6 year old has issues when it comes to retaining what she reads. So I have to work on that. My 7 year old does however. But they both love Magic Tree House.
  • PurpleCupcake
    December 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Sometimes those chicks are just full of it. 

Is it possible...yes. Is it likely...no.

That kind of genius is rare...if it was common we would be living on Pluto by now. 

• debramommyof4
    December 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    Oh and I forgot that even though my 7 year old could comprehend Harry Potter I still do not think she is old enough.
  • Bluecalm
    December 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    If she meant " flipped through the pages and scribbled on some of them" then yes, my 3 year old reads grown up books lol. I was going to say adult books, but it didn't sound right haha.
  • katyq
    by katyq
    December 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Yea, internet moms exaggerate like crazy. Don't let it get to you. There are a million developmental milestones in early child hood and each child meets them at his or her own pace. Usually, when a child is exceptional in one area they are typical in every other area. If a child is extraordinary in one area, they tend to fall behind in another. Was Einstein a literary genius? The moms who claim their child walked at 6 months and was fluent in baby sign language at 9 months and is singing the abcs in order at 12 months....sorry ladies, that is a rare thing indeed and in my personal experience, moms of truly gifted children learn to be quite humble and down to earth about it. I call b.s. on brag-moms.
  • julesjerry
    December 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

There are genious kids out there. I trust when people say 1st grader reading like 3rd grader.

Last week, My friend told me that her son who is 6 years old but reading like 5 th grader. My daughter is 6 and she is just trying to read. What can i do. I told her good for him. My daughter is doing fine.

• debramommyof4
    December 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    This is very true. While my oldest is great at math and reading she can not write or make friends to save her life.

My 6 year old can read above grade level but her compression is not that high and math is hard for her.

And online is the only place I can be honest. But I let other people to know their limitations.

Quoting katyq: Yea, internet moms exaggerate like crazy. Don't let it get to you. There are a million developmental milestones in early child hood and each child meets them at his or her own pace. Usually, when a child is exceptional in one area they are typical in every other area. If a child is extraordinary in one area, they tend to fall behind in another. Was Einstein a literary genius? The moms who claim their child walked at 6 months and was fluent in baby sign language at 9 months and is singing the abcs in order at 12 months....sorry ladies, that is a rare thing indeed and in my personal experience, moms of truly gifted children learn to be quite humble and down to earth about it. I call b.s. on brag-moms.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts