Homeschooling Moms

paganbaby
Fun, engaging history for a figety 8 year old?
December 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I'm still looking for a fun way to teach 8 year old ds history and social studies. Right now we're using books from the library. It's going okay but I'd really like to find something more put together for him. Maybe something in a series? He's not a strong reader yet and gets bored easily, so finding a good curriculum is really a challenge!

Any ideas?

Replies

• kirbymom
    December 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    Have you tried picking a time period that he is interested in and making it a themed time period where you combine subjects? Maybe even cook something from that time? You could learn what math was in use and what type of dress. Maybe even make a day where you speak the lingo all day?
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Have you thought of using the Magic Tree House books? They have a website & teaching materials that you can put with it!

• Jinx-Troublex3
    December 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    I am loving Story of the World. It is well planned out and has fun activities and additional stuff with each lesson.

I know that is considered secular since we get it from our public charter school but it does present stories I learned from the bible as historical events, which they are. I'm not sure if that would be an issue for.you.

We got the book on CD and DD reads along with it.
  • paganbaby
    December 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

We tried that with Greece. It went so so. But maybe it was the just the time period he didn't like. I like the idea of combining as many subjects as I into a common theme though.

Quoting kirbymom: Have you tried picking a time period that he is interested in and making it a themed time period where you combine subjects? Maybe even cook something from that time? You could learn what math was in use and what type of dress. Maybe even make a day where you speak the lingo all day?

• paganbaby
    December 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I was thinking that but I was worried it wasn't real history and I'd be teaching him the wrong thing,lol. I didn't know they had teaching materials to go with it though. That's cool!

Quoting usmom3:

Have you thought of using the Magic Tree House books? They have a website & teaching materials that you can put with it!

• paganbaby
    December 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

No, that wouldn't bother me at all. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I am loving Story of the World. It is well planned out and has fun activities and additional stuff with each lesson.

I know that is considered secular since we get it from our public charter school but it does present stories I learned from the bible as historical events, which they are. I'm not sure if that would be an issue for.you.

We got the book on CD and DD reads along with it.

• PinkButterfly66
    December 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

The DK Eyewitness History books are really cool.  They're colorful, with lots of pictures and geared towards kids at that age.  There are books on specific events in history like ancient greece and rome, native americans, etc.  You can easily use the book for the particular portion of history you're covering.  Public libraries usually have them in the juvenile reading section.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    December 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

With SOTW, we also go the book on CD. DD reads along with the CD for the lesson. At first we had her color while she listened to it but she wasn't remembering much. Then I tried having her read it (that was torture!) Now she reads along wit hteh CD and her comprehension has skyrocketed!

There is one coloring and or activity page with each lesson and one map activity page. Then inthe Parent/teacher section there are discussion questions, directions to have them fill out the map and activities.  There is usually a craft option (or two or threee) sometimes recipes to try, etc 

Here is the Amazon page for the WORKBOOK with the "LOOK INSIDE" option.

• kirbymom
    December 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    What toy does he like a lot? Use that to go back through history and compare what toys were played with then? Does he like gladiators? Use the things he likes to start with maybe?

Quoting paganbaby:

We tried that with Greece. It went so so. But maybe it was the just the time period he didn't like. I like the idea of combining as many subjects as I into a common theme though.

Quoting kirbymom: Have you tried picking a time period that he is interested in and making it a themed time period where you combine subjects? Maybe even cook something from that time? You could learn what math was in use and what type of dress. Maybe even make a day where you speak the lingo all day?

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

The main characters Jack & Annie are fictitious, but the places & times they go to & the people they meet are real. Most of the books have companion books filled with facts & information to enhance the books educational side.

Quoting paganbaby:

I was thinking that but I was worried it wasn't real history and I'd be teaching him the wrong thing,lol. I didn't know they had teaching materials to go with it though. That's cool!

Quoting usmom3:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts