Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
paganbaby
Time 4 Learning for middle school?
December 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I'm still struggling to find a good curriculum for 14yo dd. She's behind in everything and is not looking forward to working with me. We tried a few times before her vacation and she just drug her feet. So I saw Time 4 Learning and thought I'd give it a try. She loves being on the computer anyway and I figured this way she can work more independently. I've heard it's a little light so I was planning on adding some extra creative writing, reading and Life of Fred math.

Do any of you have experiances with it?

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I do not but I don't think it would hurt to let her give it a try for a month or so!

• paganbaby
    December 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

That's what I'm thinking too. Anything to get her excited or even just not dreading school work, works for me,lol. And if not, I'm flexible. We'll try something else.

Quoting usmom3:

I do not but I don't think it would hurt to let her give it a try for a month or so!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Yep, Some times you have to try a little bit of everything, maybe even a few different times before you find what works best!

Quoting paganbaby:

That's what I'm thinking too. Anything to get her excited or even just not dreading school work, works for me,lol. And if not, I'm flexible. We'll try something else.

Quoting usmom3:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    December 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    I think it is good for younger grades but I am not sure about middle school. I would give it a try and see how it goes. Do they still have a trial period?
  • paganbaby
    December 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Ain't that the truth! Ds and I are still finding our footing. Our new creative writing seems to be going well, reading will more than likely stay the same I let him pick whatever book he wants) science will always be a favorite. He's learning about pathology currently (dh is grossed out,lol) We're still picking our way in history and social studies. Early Greek life was a flop :-/ And I have high hopes for Life of Fred. All in all, I feel good about his.

Quoting usmom3:

Yep, Some times you have to try a little bit of everything, maybe even a few different times before you find what works best!

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting usmom3:

• paganbaby
    December 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

That's the thing, I've a lot of good things about the elementry but not so much about the upper grades. When I checked they added highschool so that's pretty exciting. If this works, dd can take it all the way. And yes, I think they have something like 2 weeks?

Quoting jen2150: I think it is good for younger grades but I am not sure about middle school. I would give it a try and see how it goes. Do they still have a trial period?

• nicki1018
    December 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I have experience with Time4Learning but not middle school. We used it for the first year of homeschooling. We loved it. I enjoyed all of the activities and the kids did as well. Again thought this was for K and first grade.

• AutymsMommy
    December 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The girl I tutored used it as a base. I can't stand it. It's light, easy to cheat, and definitely NOT a core, imo.

• AutymsMommy
    December 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

As an aside, you could get a very nice curriculum for the amount you spend on that. It's $20/monthly; for that cost, for say a 10 month school year, you could buy some very good pieces of curriculum, suited to her needs, that are MUCH better than T4L.

• paganbaby
    December 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I'm looking. I just worry about shelling out X amount of money for something she probably won't like :-(

Do you have any suggestions?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As an aside, you could get a very nice curriculum for the amount you spend on that. It's $20/monthly; for that cost, for say a 10 month school year, you could buy some very good pieces of curriculum, suited to her needs, that are MUCH better than T4L.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts