Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Leahsmom2007
Shared Time??
December 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I haven't posted on here since the beginning of the school year. I am so stressed out about science/history and PE. I would love to teach the other subjects and put my daughter in public school for those subjects only. My state (Minnesota) says districts allow shared time. But my daughter is in first grade. Would they let her do it in elementary school?? Anyone ever done this?

Replies

• paganbaby
    December 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

They don't have out here. But here's a bump!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I am in Texas & I have only ever heard of it being done for high schoolhere! If you really want to know call the elementary school she would attend & ask the principal!

• collinsmommy0
    December 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    When I taught at a public school, science & history were like 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, and PE was twice a week. And the science & history were pretty basic.

Why don't you sign up for something like passports (a kit that comes to your house once a month with fun projects about a county)? Or a history or science magazine? Or buy a science kit thing from lakeshore? & then use one of those as your base for your curriculum?

• Bethbeth
    December 11, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I have heard of homeschoolers joining in for band at a public school, but I can't imagine doing it for a regular subject like science/history. There are some easy curriculums you can check out. Or just read a lot of books together about science and history topics. I'm sure you can find some good reading lists online to help look for books at the library.

• Bluecalm
    December 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    I have a 6 year old. To me Science and Social Studies are about exploring their world. I mostly follow my son's lead with those. He was given seeds and that led to learning lots about plants both on the computer and watching his plants grow. He has an online friend and asked for a map of the US to see where she lives which led to him working with cardinal directions, identifying states, using a map scale to measure etc. It all had purpose and was more meaningful that reading a textbook.PE is just being active.
  • LilliesValley
    December 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    I would think that it is completely dependent on your local school district. I think pe would be easy but to have a student come in for social studies and science would likely be disruptive to the class. Theres lots of good science books and websites. The same with social studies. I agree with someone else, a lot of those subjects you let them take the lead. Dd loves space and that's really a broad subject that can include all subjects. What are you finding difficult?
  • Chasing3
    December 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

i think for PE, have her do anything she likes - dance, gymnastics, swim lessons, classes at a local Y or town sports, ice skating, karate... anything! And mix it up a lot, don't pick one thing and only that.

For history and science If you want to know you're covering the same content as schools, look on your local school website and they probably list the curriculum coverd in each grade somewhere. So, they might do a report on ancient cultures, or native americans, or what not... you can use that as a starting point but feel free to move on to whatever else seems interesting. For science it's probably something like planting seeds, raising guppies, etc.

As much as I could see the allure of going to public for some stuff, I'm not entirely sure how it'd work out in reality. I kind of can't imagine public schools in my area being so open minded. There is a private christian school around her ewho offers "homeschool day." It's going to their school one day a week for extracurricular activities liek art, music, pe, hands on activities. I wish I"d known about it sooner - it's only for K - 4th

• ablackdolphin
    December 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Have you looked at apologia science? I'm using it with my 4 year old and she loves it.  History is a struggle for us too but I do like the Who Was books for this age.

My family lives in MN (where I grew up!!). I don't know much about the rules in MN but I do recall picking up a card at a booth at the State Fair (education bldg) for a homeschool group up there.  It might be worth googling.  I wish I knew the name or still had the card, but I don't but maybe the information is online.  It was 2 yrs ago at the fair.

• kirbymom
    December 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Hi. Welcome back! :)

Why are you so stressed out about those subjects? Do you feel like you can't handle teaching these subjects? It's okay if you feel that way. Most of us feel that way. One of the great things about being at home learning is that you and your children can express and learn together.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts