Does Your Homeschool Need a Grace Year?
by usmom3
BJ
December 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I know we all struggle & I think sometimes this is needed CLICK TO READ

Replies

• paganbaby
    December 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I've taken a few months off just because I felt like my head was going to explode if I had to force one more kid to to do one more math problem/read one more page, ect. It worked out really well. All of us got a much needed break, tensions relaxed and we found a better way to do things.

DD's been out of school since September; after a few false starts I decided to give her until her brother's birthday (Jan 1st) off. She's spent most of her time at her aunts house having fun and working.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    December 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I have really been struggling.  Thank you so much for posting that.  I'm such a control freak, I just want to know that the final destination will be right.  Today I also want to send them to ps next year.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Sometimes the best thing to do is just live & let all the big stuff wait for another day!

Quoting paganbaby:

I've taken a few months off just because I felt like my head was going to explode if I had to force one more kid to to do one more math problem/read one more page, ect. It worked out really well. All of us got a much needed break, tensions relaxed and we found a better way to do things.

DD's been out of school since September; after a few false starts I decided to give her until her brother's birthday (Jan 1st) off. She's spent most of her time at her aunts house having fun and working.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Your welcome! I hope this has helped you & maybe you won't want to send them to PS if you take some grace time!

Quoting hwblyf:

I have really been struggling.  Thank you so much for posting that.  I'm such a control freak, I just want to know that the final destination will be right.  Today I also want to send them to ps next year.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    December 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    That would me after this week. I need a vacation. I got food poisoning last week and it has been hard getting back on my feet. I was supposed to make cheese fondue for our meeting for switzerland tomorrow for our culture club. I am instead stopping at the store to pick up swiss cheese and bread. My boys also have reports due next week for science at co-op. I just need to make it to Friday then I will be fine.
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    December 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM
    I take off a week here and there or do an easy week, only one or two subjects a day but my OCD would never allow me to take off a full month, much less a year..

I get.anxious just taking the traditional summer break.
  • Knightquester
    December 11, 2013 at 2:58 AM

When things get to be too much I do tend to step back and try to lighten my load.  I may let the house go a bit, or even the studies, but in the end we get what we need done at the time we wanted to.  Sometimes we move quicker and better than other times, that's just the way life is and I try to be as flexible as I can during such times.

I've moved 2x in 3yrs before, talk about a tiring time period for me, and while I might not take months or a year for a grace period, I may water or slow things down to a better pace for me.  To me homeschooling is much like dancing, when you are in the groove you move smoothly faster, when you are in a rut or having problems you slow it down to a better pace for you.

• kirbymom
    December 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    This is an interesting article! O am in one of those "Grace" periods!
  • Mommynay2
    December 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    I feel like I'm taking a grace period involuntarily. My head is a little messed up right now, my dad found out he has cancer of the pancreas. I gave Destinay work to do before Thanksgiving and told her if she finished it, she will get time off til December 5, then I got pink eye, and had to waste a day at the doctor's office. Now my head is all over the place. My parents are making funeral plans for my dad, and are putting me in charge over things being set. It is pitiful because they didn't even get the prognosis yet and they are already meeting with the insurance guy Saturday. All she did today was a word search with Christmas vocabulary, and I feel guilty over that.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts