Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mom2many747
New and I have Questions
December 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I haven't started homeschooling yet, but I will be starting with my 6 year old at the start of the 2nd semester. I'll then be homeschooling my 8 and 9 year old at the start of the 2014-2015 school year. I also have a 17 month old that I already work with a little but will get more serious with his education next school year. My 6 year old has average intelligence but also has a severe speech delay and some language issues. She has been bullied by the other students since she started pre-k at the age of 2 1/2 (she qualified for early start because of her speech and language problems). She's been begging me to teach her at home because she can't take it anymore. To be honest, neither can I. I'm so sick of my little girl coming home crying because children are calling her horrible names and pushing her around. Before I start though, I need some help.

Do you use virtual schooling or do you act as the teacher? If you use virtual schooling, how do you like it? Is it beneficial to the kids? If you are the teacher, where do you get the curriculum? Do you have a set schedule with yours or do you just wing it? Is it difficult keeping track of the portfolio? My concern would be me forgetting to keep records lol Do you create a report card for the children every quarter? How do you simulate speech/language/OT at home (if your child needs it)? Is there any testing you did at home to give you an idea of where to start? For those living in Florida, do you follow common core, sunshine state standards, or do you create your own lesson plans based on what the kids are doing? How many hours a day do you do school? Do you do field trips or other things for educational purposes? What types of places do you frequent? How do you get your child socialization? Do you find that homeschooling is more beneficial than a public school?

That's all the questions I can think of right now. I appreciate any responses I get. Thanks.

Replies

• Bethbeth
    December 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I can't really answer your questions, but wanted to throw this in.....it's possible your daughter may be able to do some speech therapy through the school district even though she is homeschooling, if that is something you want to look into.

• mom2many747
    December 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I checked into that but the school district basically said they have no obligation to provide services to homeschooled students. Thank you though :-)

Quoting Bethbeth:

I can't really answer your questions, but wanted to throw this in.....it's possible your daughter may be able to do some speech therapy through the school district even though she is homeschooling, if that is something you want to look into.

• debramommyof4
    December 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    I used virtual school (k12) and we just left them. It is a lot more street in my opinion to use them than go on your own.

I am in California and we pick and choose from different things. 2 free curriculums I know of are allinonehomescool.com ( Christian based) and lessonpathways.com (secular). You can use them as a start and add in other websites, worksheets and books.

I just follow what my children are doing because they each work at their own pace.

For socialization we go to Sunday school, Co-op, playdates, the park and visit friends of mine who have kids in public school.

School usually lasts about 4 hours, though if my children work hard they can change it up.

My children are convinced we do field trips weekly (grocery store), but we do other actual field trips as I find they will add to what the kids are learning. They are helpful and I have found kids learn everywhere!

We do not do speech therapy but I had a friend who did. She would sit with her son and after picking a flash card or item she would show it and play games with it till he could say it correctly. I would have to ask her how she did it but he speaks clearly now.

As for finding where my kids are I looked up reading level tests from different curriculum and math tests and gave one to her one day and one to her the next. It helped and I found a good level in the median of where the tests said they each were.

Quoting mom2many747:

I haven't started homeschooling yet, but I will be starting with my 6 year old at the start of the 2nd semester. I'll then be homeschooling my 8 and 9 year old at the start of the 2014-2015 school year. I also have a 17 month old that I already work with a little but will get more serious with his education next school year. My 6 year old has average intelligence but also has a severe speech delay and some language issues. She has been bullied by the other students since she started pre-k at the age of 2 1/2 (she qualified for early start because of her speech and language problems). She's been begging me to teach her at home because she can't take it anymore. To be honest, neither can I. I'm so sick of my little girl coming home crying because children are calling her horrible names and pushing her around. Before I start though, I need some help.

Do you use virtual schooling or do you act as the teacher? If you use virtual schooling, how do you like it? Is it beneficial to the kids? If you are the teacher, where do you get the curriculum? Do you have a set schedule with yours or do you just wing it? Is it difficult keeping track of the portfolio? My concern would be me forgetting to keep records lol Do you create a report card for the children every quarter? How do you simulate speech/language/OT at home (if your child needs it)? Is there any testing you did at home to give you an idea of where to start? For those living in Florida, do you follow common core, sunshine state standards, or do you create your own lesson plans based on what the kids are doing? How many hours a day do you do school? Do you do field trips or other things for educational purposes? What types of places do you frequent? How do you get your child socialization? Do you find that homeschooling is more beneficial than a public school?

That's all the questions I can think of right now. I appreciate any responses I get. Thanks.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Welcome to the group! I can't really help you with your questions because we unschool & don't have the same requirements in Texas as you do. How ever virtual schools are on line public schools & might have some kind of help for you for her speech, so you might look into that!

• coala
    by coala
    December 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I'm in Central Fl.  We do not use FLVS (florida virtual school) this is essentially doing PS at home.  I don't want them involved in the education of my children.  We purposefully chose a program (boxed curriculum) that does our record keeping for us...we get a report card every 6 weeks.  With the program we chose we DO NOT have to take the FCAT...I repeat DO NOT have to take it.  That part thrilled me more than you can imagine.  Our curriuclum is NOT following common core...they refuse to lower their standards...that was the info I got directly from the school.  The program we use is intense and my children are growing and learning quickly becuase they havne't changed the basic fundamental parts of learning.  We are highly socialized...I asked my children to make a list of their friends so that we can do small gift bags for Christmas...they had 40 friends on their list.  We particpate in a local HS group and do a playdate once a week, and we are at the local skating rink 4 days a week. 

• Chasing3
    December 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

i use my own curriculum and have not come across an on-line school or curriculum that looked like I want to try.

I research my own curriculum materials and stay pretty much in-line with the content covered in public for his grade. I have a basic grade level text book for science and social studies and readign that I got used. I have spelling, vocab, grammar and math that I bought new. I research a lot all day long while ds works. I find awesome hands on science projects, social studies field trips, independent projects... jsut stuff to try. We read daily and use a reading fluency and comprehension program pretty much daily. Writing, I kind of wing it. Art, music, PE, we wing it.

I've signed up for some home schooling classes for social time. We do scouts, some sports activities, friends and nieghbors, etc.

I keep a notebook with everything we do every day. I am only planning to submit a few samples for the portfoilo. These will be larger projects. Probaby our state report, a report on a planet, a writing composition, maybe an end-of-year math test?

I do not follow common core or state standards. BUT, I think you can back any lesson into the standards if you were ever required to do so. I am not trying to prepare for the state standardized tests. I have thought of doing an online DORA assessment at the end of the year and maybe even one of the IOWA or CAT or Terranova that i can give at home just to see where we stand.

We do on average 3 hours a day of sit-down, "school-looking" lessons. More hours if you count other activities.

I"d recommend you research all things speach therapy and figure out if you can do it yourself. I have done math remediation myself and it's going fabuolously! The public school offered my son NO services to help him in math - he did not grasp the simplest concepts and had troupbe even counting forwards and backwards in September when we started homeschooling. We mastered addition and subtraction and are just staring on multiplication now - amazing.

I know I am providing a better education at home. I have 2 kids in public to compare to.

• mom2many747
    December 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I was more looking into the FLVS FT homeschool program. Have you heard anything about that? With that program, the kids wouldn't have to take any standardized tests and have a less structured schedule.

Quoting coala:

I'm in Central Fl.  We do not use FLVS (florida virtual school) this is essentially doing PS at home.  I don't want them involved in the education of my children.  We purposefully chose a program (boxed curriculum) that does our record keeping for us...we get a report card every 6 weeks.  With the program we chose we DO NOT have to take the FCAT...I repeat DO NOT have to take it.  That part thrilled me more than you can imagine.  Our curriuclum is NOT following common core...they refuse to lower their standards...that was the info I got directly from the school.  The program we use is intense and my children are growing and learning quickly becuase they havne't changed the basic fundamental parts of learning.  We are highly socialized...I asked my children to make a list of their friends so that we can do small gift bags for Christmas...they had 40 friends on their list.  We particpate in a local HS group and do a playdate once a week, and we are at the local skating rink 4 days a week. 

• mom2many747
    December 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

what is unschooling?

I had planned on using a virtual homeschool program that is provided by the same site as the virtual public school.

Quoting usmom3:

Welcome to the group! I can't really help you with your questions because we unschool & don't have the same requirements in Texas as you do. How ever virtual schools are on line public schools & might have some kind of help for you for her speech, so you might look into that!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

This link explains what it is better then I can. Also if you can see my siggy at the bottom it has a short definition of it! 

Quoting mom2many747:

what is unschooling?

I had planned on using a virtual homeschool program that is provided by the same site as the virtual public school.

Quoting usmom3:

• coala
    by coala
    December 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Locally there are some families that have used it and absolutely hate the way things have changed....they are now insisting that the children use the SSN as their student numbers and there are something like 100 students to 1 teacher.  The stuff I have heard is alarming.  I have also heard that if students don't turn their work in by a specified date the"teacher" can choose to drop the student from the program.  Honestly, from what I have heard I personally wouldn't want to deal with it.

Quoting mom2many747:

I was more looking into the FLVS FT homeschool program. Have you heard anything about that? With that program, the kids wouldn't have to take any standardized tests and have a less structured schedule.

Quoting coala:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN