Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mom2many747
New and I have Questions
December 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I haven't started homeschooling yet, but I will be starting with my 6 year old at the start of the 2nd semester. I'll then be homeschooling my 8 and 9 year old at the start of the 2014-2015 school year. I also have a 17 month old that I already work with a little but will get more serious with his education next school year. My 6 year old has average intelligence but also has a severe speech delay and some language issues. She has been bullied by the other students since she started pre-k at the age of 2 1/2 (she qualified for early start because of her speech and language problems). She's been begging me to teach her at home because she can't take it anymore. To be honest, neither can I. I'm so sick of my little girl coming home crying because children are calling her horrible names and pushing her around. Before I start though, I need some help.

Do you use virtual schooling or do you act as the teacher? If you use virtual schooling, how do you like it? Is it beneficial to the kids? If you are the teacher, where do you get the curriculum? Do you have a set schedule with yours or do you just wing it? Is it difficult keeping track of the portfolio? My concern would be me forgetting to keep records lol Do you create a report card for the children every quarter? How do you simulate speech/language/OT at home (if your child needs it)? Is there any testing you did at home to give you an idea of where to start? For those living in Florida, do you follow common core, sunshine state standards, or do you create your own lesson plans based on what the kids are doing? How many hours a day do you do school? Do you do field trips or other things for educational purposes? What types of places do you frequent? How do you get your child socialization? Do you find that homeschooling is more beneficial than a public school?

That's all the questions I can think of right now. I appreciate any responses I get. Thanks.

Replies

• Bluecalm
    December 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    My 6 year old has severe speech issues and a moderate language delay. I guess I'd say I'm a relaxed homeschooled. I make my own curriculum, but I also do Time4Learning and Reading Eggs with him. Reading Eggs really helped with his auditory processing. We started two months ago and he couldn't hear a sentence and remember it long enough to unscramble the words and put it back in a sentence. That activity always had him in tears. I had to repeat the sentences over and over. Now he whips through that on his own. He used to ask "What?" to everything I say and he has stopped doing that because he's processing faster. His speech is improving as he learns to read.
  • Bluecalm
    December 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    I forgot to add that he gets private speech therapy.
  • sbutcher3
    December 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Get a homeschool magazine .... practicalhomeschooling.com offers a bundle of info that parents should know. this will answer a great deal of your questions.
  • PurpleCupcake
    December 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I have a son with speech issues. You really need a professional.

Ask your doctor for recommendations.

Insurance/Medicaid will often pay for someone to come to your house to teach speech. 

You are gonna have to do the leg work and find out what is available to you in your town.

And no...the school will not help you at all. 

• kirbymom
    December 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    I'm not sure I would be much help. I am similar to usmom. I do some unschooling as well as some structured schooling. I supply or make my own curriculum.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN