Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Massage-Mom
NOT QUITE READY
December 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I want to homeschool my daughter...I called the superintendant of my school district and mentioned this and asked what steps I need to take etc....she said I dont have to do anything until she turns 6 years old...and that in the meantime i can do whatever i would like preschool wise and kindergarten wise because children do not have a responsibiolity to go to school until first grade or age six here....

so in the meantime...what would you suggest for a preschool/kindergarted curriculum in the meantime....DD is 3 and a half now so we have soem time before we get down to business so to speak...what would you reccommend for this age...

is there any free cirriculum stuff for preschool and kindergarten....or would you jsut go purchace some activity books at walmart etc. etc.

Replies

• debramommyof4
    December 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    My 3 year old does letteroftheweek.com because she wants to do school like her brother and sisters. It is completely free and has stuff to go up to kindergarten.
  • ablackdolphin
    December 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I used the library a lot.  Preschool prep DVDs, Baby Einstein videos, lots and lots of books.  Don't assume any topic is off limits.  I'm SHOCKED at what my newly 4 yr old is learning.  Astronomy, anatomy, etc.  The things she remembers and understands is just amazing!

I started handwriting without tears and rightstart math with her right before she turned 4. Love both programs!

Science experiements can be so much fun too.

Lots of crafts and art projects.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Play, play, play! Everything should be a game or fun, little children learn best when they are playing. Also let her help you clean & cook, she can learn all kinds of stuff just from being with you & you telling her what you are doing & what everything is.

• AutymsMommy
    December 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM

At this age, play, read, play, read (rinse and repeat).

Around 4 or 5, I would invest in a good curriculum (or various pieces of curricula - you have time to research now!).

I cringe a bit when I see people mention the activity books from wal-mart and the like. Those were only ever intended to be supplements, not full curricula. Unless you really know what you're doing and what you want from this, and you can supplement accordingly, using those can give one a false sense of security when, sincerely, they are NOT full curricula.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    December 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I would begin to introduce your letters, numbers, shapes, and colors. All this can be done through play as well as worksheets. Example Monday you introduce A with a worksheet. The next day you paint an apple, Tuesday you make an alligator and name her Allie, and so on. Pinterest is great for finding those kind if things.

I'm adding the link to my Preschool and Kindergarten board if you would like to browse it:

http://www.pinterest.com/dawn_p/homeschooling-preschool-and-kindergarten/

• romacox
    by romacox
    December 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Home Schooling the PreK child is very easy, and inexpensive.  It is also a great way to get your feet wet.

How To Home School The PreK Child.

• paganbaby
    December 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Play, and books. That's the main thing I did when they were little.

• kirbymom
    December 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    I Think what all these wonderful women are suggesting is that the more you and your LO play together and enjoy each other, the more your LO will pick up and retain.
  • No_Difference
    December 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Honestly, with Pre K, games works wonders. My little guy would watch Leap Frog Letter Factory and we'd go on letter hunts. I'd hide letters around the house, and ask him to go find that letter. Eventually it turned into I'd give him the sound, and he'd go find the letter, and then into he'd find a letter outside (on a sign or something) and then have to tell me the sound. For numbers, we'd count stairs as we went up or down, or count blocks, etc. Then we would count the dots on dominos and do "domino addition" add the two sides together. It wasn't until this year that we started using an actual curriculum, but he was also begging since his sister was doing "real school" lol, what I use with him isn't free tho.

With my little guy last year (who was 3) we used All About Reading Pre Level, and he did great with that, we're using Level 1 in both Reading and Spelling, and he is excelling with them :). For math this year we used Math U See Primer, and again, he did awesome. I will say, with some of the chapters  in the book, because it gets covered in again in both Alpha and Beta, if he didn't quite get it after doing every worksheet, we just continued on... The Primer is just an introduction anyway. We would go back and do it again every once in awhile, and many times things are gone over on review pages anyway. 

For Science last year with him, we went on nature hikes, and we caught a few native caterpillars, and after making sure the caterpillar wasn't poisonous, and that what it would turn into wasn't poisonous, we kept it alive to watch it transform and then set them free. This past fall, we did praying mantis egg sack that we ordered. Next year we get to watch the sac that a native mantis laid by our front door :). We did a little Astronomy this year, but only because his big sister did.

I'm leery with workbooks at that age, only because they typically don't want to sit still long enough to do them...but if she is a workbook kid it might work (my daughter was for so long, and now she can't stand workbooks...we may have over did them). With the workbooks though, I've learned that if you rip out all the pages, get a big binder and page protectors, stick the pages in the page protectors and have her use a dry erase marker - then you can use the sheets over and over again. That was how I had my little guy practice his letters and numbers until we got his grip down, and figured out which hand he was going to use (didn't figure out he was a lefty til this year!). My little guy LOVES Handwriting Without Tears, which we started using this year (again...I waited til he figured out what hand he was using...)

A free website you can look into is LessonPathways.com  I think they have K stuff on there. 
    StarFall.com is also free - mostly. You can print out worksheets too...I know somewhere on there.. Its over 90 pages, but it goes over all the letter sounds, both short, and then long, and the phongrams like /th/ and /sh/ etc. Starfall also has two apps that my little guy loves, that I think are the same as their website.

• ashybaby87
    December 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM

My daughter we're homeschooling for kindergarten currently and I got workbooks from the store, but also use teacherspayteachers.com, education.com and just google search generally helps you find a lot of stuff as well.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts