Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Remy11
looking for some advice
by Remy11
December 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Hi everyone! I have been a member for a long while but I dont post much because my son is only 2. I have always planned on HS him when the time comes to do so "officially" and I have experience as I homeschooled my ex step children for years (i know that sounds bad but they were my ex husband of 10 years kids) Anyway. My son gets early intervention services as he is speech delayed. He was a preemie and also had medical issues when he was born etc.. Anyway I am conerned that if he has some learning disabilities in thr future that homeschool may not be the right thing for him. He learns better when around his peers as I take him to a parent child program at a local Waldorf school..

So my question I guess is to get some opinions but also if anyone has experience with Waldorf education, Thank you in advance! And i apologize for typos but i have a huge head ache and the words are sort of blurry to me right now on the screen!

Replies

• hipmomto3
    December 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I think Waldorf is wonderful. Where we used to live, there was a Waldorf trained teacher who taught some classes to homeschool children (my own children were too young for that at the time, but I remember a homeschooling friend raving about how her kids loved it).

I understand about the special needs. My son was born deaf in one ear. I think, you have to do what is best for your child. If you can homeschool and get him this therapy and other classes for socialization, great. But if he needs to be in a regular school that's fine too. I think you have to do what is right for your family.

• Remy11
    by Remy11
    December 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    Thank you so much for your support! I had always planned to utilize the school system for extra curricular activities and sports etc.. And also classes that I didn't feel i can't teach. Thankfully I live in a state where this is possible.
    But now I'm thinking waldorf may be a happy medium?

Quoting hipmomto3:

I think Waldorf is wonderful. Where we used to live, there was a Waldorf trained teacher who taught some classes to homeschool children (my own children were too young for that at the time, but I remember a homeschooling friend raving about how her kids loved it).

I understand about the special needs. My son was born deaf in one ear. I think, you have to do what is best for your child. If you can homeschool and get him this therapy and other classes for socialization, great. But if he needs to be in a regular school that's fine too. I think you have to do what is right for your family.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM

You could see if there are homeschool co-op classes in your aria or classes at the community center for Homeschoolers. I would not give up on the idea of homeschooling yet even if you don't find those things now because things could change in a few years & there might be a whole lot more options that come about by the time he is school aged.

• Remy11
    by Remy11
    December 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Thank you! And I won't give up on it but I want to be well prepared as we approach the time of "preschool" next year. Mind you I don't think preschool should be about learning but about socialization and learning from peers.

Quoting usmom3:

You could see if there are homeschool co-op classes in your aria or classes at the community center for Homeschoolers. I would not give up on the idea of homeschooling yet even if you don't find those things now because things could change in a few years & there might be a whole lot more options that come about by the time he is school aged.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts