Homeschooling Moms

HeatherMarieT88
I don't homeschool but I want to Edit
December 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Mobile Photo

I don't homeschool but I want to. This is my 6 year old Katrina. She has hypo plastic left heart syndrome, a congenital heart disease. She basically only has half a heart. Since she was born she has had 10 surgeries three of them being open heart surgeries. Her immune system is not as strong as a child without this condition and she has spent numerous times at the hospital and has had numerous absent days from school from being ill. She started preschool when she was 3 and she took two years of preschool before going into kindergarten this year. Her condition and numerous hospital stays have resulted in her learning at a slower rate than other children her age as well as a speech problem and she obviously isn't as well off physically as other kids. Now that she is in kindergarten there are a few children who bully her to the extent of giving her bruises by pushing her off the monkey bars and shoving her. Also her report card was horrible. I think it was worse because her teacher can't understand some of the things she says. It states on her report card that she can only count to twelve and not to twenty. Well her thirteen and fourteen sound the same and she can count all the way to 39. I want to homeschool her but I have two obstacles. One being her father gets her Sunday night through Wednesday after school. I am not sure he would want her to be homeschooled seeing as he is very lazy and he has four other kids who all live with him. Also my daughter told me that her older siblings do some of her homework for her and I have even see their handwriting on her homework. This bothers me a great deal. The other obstacle is I am a single mother of a six year old and a 9 week old and I work a full time job. Do any of you homeschooling mothers face similar obstacles? How do you work around them? I want to homeschool her so she gets the one on one that she needs, so she isn't being bullied at school, so we can work around her hospital stays, and because I don't think the teachers are teaching her the right way. Please give advice. Is there any way I can still homeschool?

Edit:
I talked to my dd's father and he didn't really show or say anything towards the idea. So I am trying to make a list of any concerns he may have and the solutions to those concerns with homeschooling. One of them is that my dd wants to do cheerleading like her older sister. Is there a way for a homeschooled child to be able to cheerlead without being enrolled in public school? Also I just found out how amazing she is at swinging a bat yesterday at a birthday party that had a piƱata. She swung better than two boys that were a year or two older than her. I used to play softball as a kid and if she is interested in it I would like to sign her up (with her doctors approval of course with her medical condition and all) need advice!

Replies

• debramommyof4
    December 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    I know that there are many working homeschool mom's on here. So do not give up there is a way if you can talk her Dad into not throwing a fit. I would not send work with her though if the older kids do her homework.

I also want to reach out and hug both you and your dd. It has to be hard for both of you.
  • HeatherMarieT88
    December 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    I have no control over the other kids doing her homework on Mondays and Tuesdays because I don't have her at all those two days.

Quoting debramommyof4: I know that there are many working homeschool mom's on here. So do not give up there is a way if you can talk her Dad into not throwing a fit. I would not send work with her though if the older kids do her homework.

I also want to reach out and hug both you and your dd. It has to be hard for both of you.
  • HeatherMarieT88
    December 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    Trust me it's frustrating.

Quoting HeatherMarieT88: I have no control over the other kids doing her homework on Mondays and Tuesdays because I don't have her at all those two days.

Quoting debramommyof4: I know that there are many working homeschool mom's on here. So do not give up there is a way if you can talk her Dad into not throwing a fit. I would not send work with her though if the older kids do her homework.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    December 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I'm flabbergasted by the other kids doing her homework...HOWEVER, if she is giving the answers but they are helping her write, maybe she really needs the help.

I know that there are many full tie workng Moms that homeschool, but where would she be during the day if not at school? Does her step-mom stay home and could watch her and you could team teach? Would you have to hire a nanny/teacher? If you have tohire someoen, is it cheaper for you to stay home, than to work only to pay for child care? (That ended up being the issue with us, so once kid #3 was born I became a SAHM)

• HeatherMarieT88
    December 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Well that is another reason I want to homeschool. I work second shift so it is hard to help my daughter with her homework. My work schedule varies every week to which days I have to work but if I have to work second shift on a day that she has school we have to wake up an hour earlier just so I can help her with her homework. I want to spend more time with her too and it's just hard working second shift and having to pick her up from school and drive her straight to my babysitters. I haven't been able to find another job that pays decent enough for me to maintain our bills and will work with me with my schedule to go on first shift. All the jobs around here are either 6am-2pm or 7am to 3pm. I can't drop her off at school before 7:30 and I have to be there to pick her up at 2:45.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I'm flabbergasted by the other kids doing her homework...HOWEVER, if she is giving the answers but they are helping her write, maybe she really needs the help.

I know that there are many full tie workng Moms that homeschool, but where would she be during the day if not at school? Does her step-mom stay home and could watch her and you could team teach? Would you have to hire a nanny/teacher? If you have tohire someoen, is it cheaper for you to stay home, than to work only to pay for child care? (That ended up being the issue with us, so once kid #3 was born I became a SAHM)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Homeschooling as a single parent is doable but it might be harder then if you didn't have to work. Have her off days be the days she is at her Dad's that way you don't have to worry about him getting school work done or not. I would sit down with your ex & just lay it all on the line about how this is for her & her health not you & that if he cares about her mentale & physical well being he would be willing to at least try this for the rest of this year!

• debramommyof4
    December 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    I meant if you homeschool.

Quoting HeatherMarieT88: I have no control over the other kids doing her homework on Mondays and Tuesdays because I don't have her at all those two days.

• HeatherMarieT88
    December 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    I can't do that though because this schedule is now a court order for that reason. We were doing week to week without any court order and we have always changed the schedule around. So I told him I was going to start keeping her more because I can help her better with her learning than he can because they have five kids in the house all together including my daughter when she is there. So he tried taking me for full custody and then this is the schedule that came out of it. He said she needs stability. No he doesn't care about her stability if he did then he wouldn't have begged me to drop the child support because he "couldn't find a job" and didn't want to go to jail. Me like the sucker I am dropped it and six months later he was trying to take me for full custody. Anyways he is just lazy and if he really wanted her to be stable he would've just let me have her and him take her weekends like I wanted before.

Quoting usmom3:

Homeschooling as a single parent is doable but it might be harder then if you didn't have to work. Have her off days be the days she is at her Dad's that way you don't have to worry about him getting school work done or not. I would sit down with your ex & just lay it all on the line about how this is for her & her health not you & that if he cares about her mentale & physical well being he would be willing to at least try this for the rest of this year!

• HeatherMarieT88
    December 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Gotcha. Yea that's a good idea.

Quoting debramommyof4: I meant if you homeschool.

• PurpleCupcake
    December 6, 2013 at 5:16 AM

I have a different opinion. 

I say don't homeschool yet. Yes...You can, and should. But at thus point your schedule us too tight. 

If I were you. Take the time you would be able to homeschool and you go back to school. Maybe for nursing. Then you can get a more flexible schedule to homeschool.

But as it stands now. You don't have to homeschool every day. Just take the days off she has with her dad, then home school her the days you have her. 

Homeschooling Moms