Homeschooling Moms

paganbaby
What to do when homeschooling just isn't an option? I'm in tears... Update 12/19
December 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

She's doing great! I've also added a special school snack that only she is allowed to eat. Another thing I did is bump her bedtime back to 6:30, lights out at 7pm. That sounds so early I know but the extra sleep is helping the most I think. So far so good *Fingers crossed*

At my dh's urging, I've decided to give it a solid month. He says if we don't see any progress or she gets worse, I can take her home. So here's the new plan.

I bought her an alarm clock and set it for 6:00 am. When she wakes up, she has to get herself dressed, hair brushed, shoes on and backpack ready, then... we watch a show together until 7:00am when we leave for school. After the girl I babysit goes home, we can play any game or puzzle she wants. All of this is in addition to her star chart where she can earn ice cream and Chuck e Cheese. Our morning went much more smoothly! But walking to school was a little rocky :-/ Still, I have high hopes and I know Christmas vacation will help. But either way, it's nice to have dh's support.

I just don't know what's going on with 7yo dd. While it's true that she does very well in school; great grades, likes her teachers, has lots of friends. Getting her to school is becoming harder and harder.

It started in kindergarten. The beginning of the year was fine. But then she started having anxiety about school. She wouldn't get dressed or brush her hair. She'd fight me nearly every morning and we'd be late constantly. But once she was at school, she was the perfect student. Things started leveling out towards the end of the year and I thought that was that.

Now it's starting again. She crying, I don't want to go to school. Won't get dressed or get her shoes on. At school she's fine but now at home she's angry and emotional all the time. Anything will set her off. I've tried reward charts. For every 10 days she's in school I'll take her to get an ice cream cone. For every 20 days she can go to Chucke cheese. She erased all of her stars today.

I'm at my wits end. I don't want to force it but I just can't HS her right now either. Not that she wants too. She said she doesn't want to go to any school. Just stay home. I'm having a meeting with her teacher and the principal tomorrow. I don't know what to do :-( Forcing my baby to school is breaking my heart.

Replies

• paganbaby
    December 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

She reminds of myself in a lot of ways. My anxiety with school started in kindergarten also. It worsened every year but my grades were great. I wasn't as social as her but I did have friends.

I feel like I passed on some terrible genes :-(

• Bleacheddecay
    December 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

You can't help your genes. *HUGS* And that may not even be why she is this way. I would get her evaluated and possibly medicated for anxiety.

• Pukalani79
    December 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

What's causing her anxiety, do you know? Do everything you can to find out and then focus on the root of the problem.  My daughter did that too for awhile, or she'd just come home and explode.  It was awful. :(  ((HUGS))

• debramommyof4
    December 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    I know there has to be a reason but why can you not homeschool her right now?

And is she or has she been bullied as that may cause the reluctance?
  • MelanieJK
    December 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I wouldnt' think homeschooling would be the correct response even if it was an option.    If it's anxiety she needs to learn to deal with it.    Have you ask her doctor about it?      I know they diagnose everything as some sort of mental disorder now and prescribe drugs but there are some pretty mild drugs for anxiety disorders.

• mem82
    by mem82
    December 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    Maybe she has watched her sister struggle and is worried that's what she has to look forward to as she gets older?
  • Molimomma
    December 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM

My sister was like this in first grade. She used to come home, throw up and then lay on the couch. My mom took her to a child psychologist who helped but honestly what really helped was pulling out of the Catholic school she was in and finding a better fit for her(a different Catholic school across town). She also repeated first grade and was great after that, reading above grade level, eventually took AP classes and graduated National Merit Scholar. Is her birthday near the cut off date? Maybe it is an emotional maturity thing and she's just not comfortable where she is? Might consider finding a different school for her if this 1 isn't a good fit. Definitely need to figure out the source of the anxiety or it really will just get worse. Maybe see if there is a good child psychologist in your area that can help.

• paganbaby
    December 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Thanks. God I hope not. That would just make me feel terrible :-( I'm going to talk to the school and see if she can see the school psychologist. If that doesn't work, I'll take to another one.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

You can't help your genes. *HUGS* And that may not even be why she is this way. I would get her evaluated and possibly medicated for anxiety.

• paganbaby
    December 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I'm not sure but I know it's school related. She mentioned tests eaelier today but that's all she would say other than she hates everything about school. I'm desperatly trying to get to the root of it. I feel so helpless... And yes! DD will just explode too. Did you ever find out what was happing with your dd?

Quoting Pukalani79:

What's causing her anxiety, do you know? Do everything you can to find out and then focus on the root of the problem.  My daughter did that too for awhile, or she'd just come home and explode.  It was awful. :(  ((HUGS))

• TJandKarasMom
    December 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    This was my thought too.

Why can't you bring her home? She can take a break from school, then kind of unschool her along with your oldest. She will learn a ton just from hearing what the oldest in learning. Throw in some activity books and puzzles and then you can make it more structured as you go if you feel the need to.

Quoting mem82: Maybe she has watched her sister struggle and is worried that's what she has to look forward to as she gets older?

Homeschooling Moms