Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
abuckalew
teaching my barely 3 yo??
November 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Dd who just turned 3 a couple of weeks ago loves to learn:) she knows her colors and count up to 20 but I can't get her into letters and sounds. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

I know she's still little but I would like for to learn at least a couple of letters and maybe she will learn to like reading too

Replies

• Bethbeth
    November 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM

let her play! there are tons of fun puzzles and toys that have the letters on them. Let her play with them. I wouldn't push her too hard, just keep giving her fun things to play with. And read lots of books together!

• Precious333
    November 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    Play together and read her books :) go out and explore the world! :)
  • PurpleCupcake
    November 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Most of the time starting with songs works.. Include phonetics

http://www.songsforteaching.com/phonics.htm

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    November 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    Read, play games and wait. Keep showing things to her and follow her lead. Make sure she sees you doing the things she wants to do. What things is she into? I honestly wouldn't start till around age 4 with anything structured.
  • SiennaSkye
    December 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Hi There,

I am not trying to push anything on  you, but I used to teach elementary school and decided to write Christian Children's books after having my chidlren. To keep things brief, I started teaching my children extremely early and once I noticed my oldest demonstrated phonemic awareness--I knew I was on to something. If interested, I could probably email you an excerpt from my book that guides parents on teaching phonemic awareness and reading ---and it's real simple.  If you want to know the title of that book, it is "How to Prepare my Child for Pre-Kindergarted: English Language Arts and Math" under my pen name, Taylor Wyatt.  I may even try to post the excerpt here to show you--I'll see how it goes :)

• SiennaSkye
    December 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I'm pretty new to this site--like I have been a member less than one hour ( lol). I am looking to upload some information on teaching phonemic awareness---any suggestions?

• debramommyof4
    December 1, 2013 at 2:59 AM

My 3 1/2 year old joins us for circle time (we sing alot), she also does signing time (her favorite show) on netflix.  For a curriculum I do not do much but my kids all of them, including my current 3 year old loves cullensabcs.com online preschool.  It use to be free, now you have to pay a bit.  But it is worth it.  She can sit in with the older kids if she will pay attention and she chooses to sometimes for science and history.  But with those subjects she mostly joins for the art and video portion.  She loves learning and has been dong this for 2 years.  She still does not know her letters but she is learning and happy and loves, loves books. Everyone is suprised when they see her reading as she sits and looks at every page and makes up a story to go with the detailed pictures.  So I do not worry she will decide she wants to read when she is ready.

My best advice is keep it fun and follow her, not the other way around..  Oh and I forgot a free curriculum for letters would be letteroftheweek.com.

Good luck.

• ablackdolphin
    December 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    My dd started reading at 2.5 and was crazy about science so we started early!

We have done handwriting without tears, RightStart math, magic school bus dvds, magic tree house books, apologia astronomy, usborne the body flap book, its not the stork, music class, preschool prep dvds, little pim french dvds, counties around the world dvds, and lots of reading!! She just turned 4 this fall
  • mem82
    by mem82
    December 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    This isn't a file sharing site. 8)

Quoting SiennaSkye:

I'm pretty new to this site--like I have been a member less than one hour ( lol). I am looking to upload some information on teaching phonemic awareness---any suggestions?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts