Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
AmyMamie
Need Suggestions for 1st Grade Hands-On History Curriculum
November 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM

My son is a kinesthetic learner, and he does NOT like listening to me read to him unless he's tired and relaxed.  Usually he falls asleep during the story then.  So I'm having trouble planning a history curriculum for 1st grade.  It needs to be FUN, hands-on, interesting.  Not just reading out loud and then asking him questions.  I have the Story of the World set (volume 1 book and activity book), and after looking it over, I think I'll plan to save it for 2nd grade.  Hopefully he'll be a little better listener then.  I really do want to work in some general early American history for 1st grade, though.  Is there something out there that has projects involved?  Not lapbooking - he hates it, for some reason.  Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Replies

• KamiLynn
    November 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Magic Tree House books? Not 100% fiction, but interesting enough for that age AND you can supplement with real facts :)

• debramommyof4
    November 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM
    We use these and look stuff up online and then do crafts. I want to do videos like their website suggests but have not got there yet. When we studied mummies we made jewelry and we're were going to make pyramids but did not get around to it.

Quoting KamiLynn:

Magic Tree House books? Not 100% fiction, but interesting enough for that age AND you can supplement with real facts :)

• AmyMamie
    November 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Okay, I'll look into that.  Even if it makes a good jumping board to give us a place to start, then that helps!  Thank you.  big smile mini

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM

On the Magic Tree House website they have printables & teacher resources that go along with the books HERE IS THE LINK

• PinkButterfly66
    November 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Have him do a poster or a diarama on the lesson.  What are some of the topics that you will be covering?

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    dioramas are fun & he can work on it while you are reading to him. The Poster idea is also something he could work on while you are reading!
    Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Have him do a poster or a diarama on the lesson.  What are some of the topics that you will be covering?

• Leissaintexas
    November 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Historical coloring sheets. I used to find stuff on abcteach to print for them to color while I read. Or try Heart of Dakota. Its really hands on.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    November 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

That is a good idea! I have heard great things about Heart of Dakota!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Historical coloring sheets. I used to find stuff on abcteach to print for them to color while I read. Or try Heart of Dakota. Its really hands on.

• AmyMamie
    November 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Thank you for posting the link. :)  That always helps to have some teacher resources to use.

Quoting usmom3:

On the Magic Tree House website they have printables & teacher resources that go along with the books HERE IS THE LINK

• AmyMamie
    November 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I want to start with Christopher Columbus, then work through the Colonial Days, and maybe finish the year with the American Revolution.  I want to cover all the major/famous aspects and people of those times.  A diarama to work on while we read the stories is a great idea!!  Thanks :)

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN