Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
melindabelcher
Need a complete system help
Mel
November 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Me and dh will be full time college students in addition to working part time.
We have 3 kiddos. 6yo, 4yo, 1.5yo.
We've been home schooling.
For kindergarten we did heart of dakota with "singapore math" but I really just pick what I want and jump around in the book to find pages that work. And I do my own writing, LA, spelling. He's currently in 1st/2nd grade range
Unfortunately because of our schedule i really don't think i'll be able to do it all. I really need a good complete system
Considering abeka even though I know it doesn't really fit his style but dh and I need something we can just explain and sit down with him to do it while we do our work. I've also heard good things about ACE but also that its boring?
Ideas?

Replies

• Bethbeth
    November 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I have a few friends using My Father's World for Kindergarten this year and they like it. I have been looking at it, but I don't think I want a complete system.

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    November 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Bump for possible other thoughts
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    November 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    The only complete system I like is oak meadow. I've never found another curric that has everything we need.
  • lovelylady83
    November 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM

We LOVE Sonlight... not sure if you would be open to it but it works for us...

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    November 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    What do you love about it?
    What might be my reservation about it?

Quoting lovelylady83:

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I would AVOID at all costs, picking something that doesn't fit your child. Would you be willing to use your winter break to sit down with a few Math books and write out your own list and lesson plans. It really won't take that long plus it's time well spent. Picking something that won't work well is just going to bog all of you down. Don't waste your time and money. 8) I have learned this the hard way. 8)

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    November 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    I've been considering this :/
    The complete systems can get quite pricey.
    I just have so much on my plate as it is and homeschooling I feel is going to overwhelm me if I don't get a grasp on organization

Quoting mem82:

I would AVOID at all costs, picking something that doesn't fit your child. Would you be willing to use your winter break to sit down with a few Math books and write out your own list and lesson plans. It really won't take that long plus it's time well spent. Picking something that won't work well is just going to bog all of you down. Don't waste your time and money. 8) I have learned this the hard way. 8)

• lovelylady83
    November 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I love that it is open and go and literature based.  My daughter loves being read to and reading now more than ever before.  The readers for the 3 and 4/5 levels sometimes include books that encourage reading.  It is extremely well put together.  Some of their science I skip or replace (we are not a Christian Family) portions of the science are heavily Christain/Creator based. (Some is young Earth.. so if you hold different beliefs it would require work in you finding a replacement for that topic.)  If you like lots of projects Sonlight is not for you.  I like being able to take school with us.  We do our read alouds before bed, readers can be done in the car on the way to activities or in the morning while I make breakfast.  The Science(for the youngers) come with DVD's so you can watch the DVD or do the experiment or both. So its great if you don't really have much time.  I LOVE that when you order their program (for us we use a different math) It comes with EVERYTHING you need.

For example I ordered from SL:

Core C (second 1/2 of World History)

4/5 LA

Science C and Kit

Artistic Pursuits and Supply Kit

Handwriting with out tears 4 & All About Spelling

and Classical Kids Collection CD's 

That and a pencil and our Math program is all I needed to order for 4th Grade.  It's my one stop shop!  LOVE IT!

This is great for me because I have a now almost 1 year old and I am in college 1/2 time.  So I don't have time to write curriculum like I did when we started... or make library trips etc...

Don't get me wrong I still sometimes add books or activities online... but for simplicity I love SL. I keep my daughter on the Upper end of the Core's for emotional readiness for upper cores and max comprehension (e.g. Core C is for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and she is in 4th)

Here is a link to a forum for "choosing sonlight" if you have questions like which core to use or combining littles... that kind of thing... the ladies here will be really quick to help.. if you go that route... I think What you will hear from lots of Slers is at this age to just read with them and do math... that kind of thing... I think If I were you buying for the older two I would get Core A& Science A and the appropriate LA level  (handwriting for the little and k/1 for the older kinda thing) and math for the older. then your older would always be at the upper end of the core... the little would always be at the lowest... and your really little one you could just have tag along until (he/she) is ready to do their own thing... SL offers samples of their instructor guides online.. so you could "try it" for three weeks first and see if you like it... get the books from the library or something... they also have a 100% money back guarentee

Quoting melindabelcher:

What do you love about it?
    What might be my reservation about it?

Quoting lovelylady83:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN