Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Zui77
Oak meadow
by Zui77
November 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM
If you use or have used Oak Meadow-- what are your thoughts? I'm considering it for my third grader and Kinder.

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    November 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM

At those grades, I wasn't impressed with the scope and sequence at all - if your kindergartner is ready to read and write, I do NOT recommend buying the kindergarten program. Remember that it's waldorf based, so they take a delayed learning approach.

I've attempted to use materials for grade 7. The math is behind most other homeschool curricula, the english needs to be supplemented (the writing needed more explanation and the grammar needed to be beefed up - as did the spelling and vocab work). The history and literature is good. It didn't work for us and we ditched it rather quickly, more for faith reason than anything else, BUT I will say I do feel it's incredibly expensive for what you get. I have no qualms about spending money on worthwhile curricula - I do not consider OM to be worthwhile. JMO.

I have no experience with the grade 3 program. I have heard from others that the program doesn't start to ramp up "grade level equivalent" until fourth or fifth grade though.

Summary: make sure you agree with the Waldorf approach and general educational philosophy before investing.

• Zui77
    by Zui77
    November 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    :/ yikes!
    This is my first first year homeschooling. My 4 y/o will be in K next year and 8 y/o in 3rd. I'm doing mostly Abeka this year. I wanted something laid out very well for me lol.
    I'll do more research on OM. Thank you.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

At those grades, I wasn't impressed with the scope and sequence at all - if your kindergartner is ready to read and write, I do NOT recommend buying the kindergarten program. Remember that it's waldorf based, so they take a delayed learning approach.

I've attempted to use materials for grade 7. The math is behind most other homeschool curricula, the english needs to be supplemented (the writing needed more explanation and the grammar needed to be beefed up - as did the spelling and vocab work). The history and literature is good. It didn't work for us and we ditched it rather quickly, more for faith reason than anything else, BUT I will say I do feel it's incredibly expensive for what you get. I have no qualms about spending money on worthwhile curricula - I do not consider OM to be worthwhile. JMO.

I have no experience with the grade 3 program. I have heard from others that the program doesn't start to ramp up "grade level equivalent" until fourth or fifth grade though.

Summary: make sure you agree with the Waldorf approach and general educational philosophy before investing.

• irvinehiker
    November 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    I attempted to use Oak Meadow for 2 nd and 4 th grade. We lasted all of 12 weeks. I found it to be much too relaxed. I was heavily supplementing LA and Math to make it conplete. I felt it was too pricey for a loosely written program. Even for the 4 th grade the assignments werer very vague. My kids need more structure than OM could provide. I tend to lean towards the unschooling/ child led approach so I though OM would be a good fit for us.

Both my kids were strong readers when I started the program so I wasnt worried about the weak phonics. If your children are not strong readers I would reccomend supplementing.
  • Zui77
    by Zui77
    November 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    Both my kids seem pretty average. Not ahead but not behind.

What do you use now?

Quoting irvinehiker:

I attempted to use Oak Meadow for 2 nd and 4 th grade. We lasted all of 12 weeks. I found it to be much too relaxed. I was heavily supplementing LA and Math to make it conplete. I felt it was too pricey for a loosely written program. Even for the 4 th grade the assignments werer very vague. My kids need more structure than OM could provide. I tend to lean towards the unschooling/ child led approach so I though OM would be a good fit for us.

Both my kids were strong readers when I started the program so I wasnt worried about the weak phonics. If your children are not strong readers I would reccomend supplementing.

• irvinehiker
    November 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    Quoting Zui77:

Both my kids seem pretty average. Not ahead but not behind.

What do you use now?

Quoting irvinehiker:I attempted to use Oak Meadow for 2 nd and 4 th grade. We lasted all of 12 weeks. I found it to be much too relaxed. I was heavily supplementing LA and Math to make it conplete. I felt it was too pricey for a loosely written program. Even for the 4 th grade the assignments werer very vague. My kids need more structure than OM could provide. I tend to lean towards the unschooling/ child led approach so I though OM would be a good fit for us.

This year I just pulled together different things.

Math Mammoth

Voyages in English ( writing and grammar)

Sequential Spelling

For lit and reading comp I just pulled together my own list. My kids are very strong in this area. As long as they are reading daily and doing book reports Im good.

Science and History I am just pulling together unit studies. In January I want to start a structured program but havent decided yet.

I love the look and idea of OM. It *looks* like a beautiful program. Like I said we needed more structure. My kids love the choices we made this year and are thriving.
  • Pukalani79
    November 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I use OM and love it for the older elementary grades (5-6).  For the younger grades, not so much. I found myself doing a ton of supplementing

• PurpleCupcake
    November 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM

From what I've heard autymsmommy is correct.

But I also do not like the price tag! Not worth that much money!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts