Homeschooling Moms

paganbaby
How much regulation should homeschooling have?
November 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Link to the rest of the article

His father, Clarence Powell, defends the home-school education, that Josh and his 11 siblings received, and that he has a right to educate his children anyway he sees fit without the government interfering. And in that respect, he's correct: According to Virginia state law, parents who have a religious objection, can opt to not only home-school their children but to do so without any government oversight, meaning there is no mandatory curriculum and no checks placed on the family to ensure the children are learning at an appropriate level.

Do you agree that homeschooling should be regulated?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 22% - Yes, there should be checks to make sure kids don't fall through the cracks.
  2. 77% - No. I don't agree at all. I don't want the government involved in my child's education.

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    November 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Oy. This is tough. Parents are entitled to raise their child how they see fit - but children have basic rights as well, including the right to an education. Slippery slope.

I'm the wrong one to answer, really. I do not believe in government supported public schools, much less government oversight for private and homeschools.

Summary: no regulation - although I sincerely pity the child who is not educated because his parents choose not to do so, and to take advantage of the lack of regulations; I'm not willing to give up the majority's freedom for a few bad apples.

Small government. Very small.

• bluerooffarm
    November 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I completely agree with Aimee!!  I am also leery of a system that admittedly is failing in their duties to educate children yet still wishes to dictate what homeschoolers do with our children.  I also understand that homeschooling without regulation can foster an environment where it is easier for an abuser to abuse their children without interference or consequence, but abusers fall through the cracks in the government system as well. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    November 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    I believe that there should be no government control or review.

That said, I love our hybrid option where the government pays for my homeschooling and I still do as I please. LOL Yes, my kids take the state test but I don't even look at the results.
  • Zui77
    by Zui77
    I'm okay with a small amount of regulation.
  • kmath
    by kmath

It is tough because I feel so bad for the kids that do get hurt or don't get the education they deserve.  I don't think that means the rest of us should be punished for it though.  I do consider government oversite punishment. 

• paganbaby
    November 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I really like how you put this.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Oy. This is tough. Parents are entitled to raise their child how they see fit - but children have basic rights as well, including the right to an education. Slippery slope.

I'm the wrong one to answer, really. I do not believe in government supported public schools, much less government oversight for private and homeschools.

Summary: no regulation - although I sincerely pity the child who is not educated because his parents choose not to do so, and to take advantage of the lack of regulations; I'm not willing to give up the majority's freedom for a few bad apples.

• AutymsMommy
    November 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Part of the price of freedom is allowing others to be free - no matter how wholeheartedly I disagree with their methods.

Quoting paganbaby:

I really like how you put this.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• paganbaby
    November 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Like testing?

Quoting Zui77:

• Zui77
    by Zui77
    November 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    I'm not sure really lol. I'm a newbie to the homeschooling world. I think maybe more to protect the kids who are abused or starving etc. I know that's not prevalent, but I think small amounts of regulation for that trumps testing regulations. :)

Quoting paganbaby:

Like testing?

Quoting Zui77:

• TidewaterClan
    November 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM

That's what we have in Ohio.  Either an accredited teacher writes a letter for us after they review what we've done, or our children do the state testing.  We're not under the thumb like some of the states.  I really feel for my PA friends!

Quoting Zui77:

Homeschooling Moms