Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Headevas
So I almost threw in the towel
November 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM
So I have been very excited about homeschooling. I've homeschooled my son half of last yr and now all of his 12 grade yr. Some of my frustrations are: He wants to go to a private art school, well they won't accept him because he's homeschooled. I even have his curriculum through an accredited private homeschool ( they do all the record keeping and as long as he is doing 3 subjects with their curriculum then he would be able to have an accredited diploma). So this means he will have to go to a Jr college first and then try to re- apply. I found out that the state colleges can not discriminate but the private ones can. Then my daughter who is being homeschooled for 4th grade, said she wanted to go back to public school. I feel like a failure! She says she misses her friends. I want to get her involved in an extra curricular activity to get her around more kids her age, but everything I suggest she shoots down.. like dance, or any type of sports. So I almost went to her old PS and enrolled her again :/ But thankfully I waited and she changed her mind. She said she likes homeschooling but does miss her friends. I let her have many playdates with her best friends, but she still misses seeing them on a daily basis. Both kids are on target as far as their school work is concerned. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I hate the PS in my area. So was wondering if there are any suggestions for an extra curricular activity for her that is not dance or sports? One of my friends suggested 4H.... any thoughts? Has anyone done 4H before? Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    November 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Around here there are both 4H and FFA (future farmers of America) we prefferd the FFA.  Our 4H is nearly as cliquey as the PS.  I've heard they can be wonderfull, but I suggest you look into past award winners.  If the same names come up over and over and over, see if there's an FFA instead.  Also see if there are divisions for what you want to do.  Around here there are cows, chickens, ducks, rabbits, hogs etc, but there wasn't a division for bees which one of the boys is interested in for later.  In our FFA there are projects, but there are no rewards.  There is an auction at the end and the reward is the monetary payback.  Also the projects are all viewed at a fair and some of the kids have gotten scholarships for their projects.  One of our group has gotten a "half ride" to Penn State Ag school for his no-till project.  My oldest is only 8, so we have only been involved 4 years.

• tansyflower
    November 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

this is a really great breakdown!  i was in 4H as a small child and one family pretty much ran the show.  it didnt help that between them and their extended family they were half the population of our county lol :)

but i still enjoyed it.  my friend was in FFA and she really loved it too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Around here there are both 4H and FFA (future farmers of America) we prefferd the FFA.  Our 4H is nearly as cliquey as the PS.  I've heard they can be wonderfull, but I suggest you look into past award winners.  If the same names come up over and over and over, see if there's an FFA instead.  Also see if there are divisions for what you want to do.  Around here there are cows, chickens, ducks, rabbits, hogs etc, but there wasn't a division for bees which one of the boys is interested in for later.  In our FFA there are projects, but there are no rewards.  There is an auction at the end and the reward is the monetary payback.  Also the projects are all viewed at a fair and some of the kids have gotten scholarships for their projects.  One of our group has gotten a "half ride" to Penn State Ag school for his no-till project.  My oldest is only 8, so we have only been involved 4 years.

• TidewaterClan
    November 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    That's a great way to tell of its on the up and up or a clique!

My two nieces and bil each hold an office in their local FFA. Luckily we're in a different county!

Headevas - are there any other art colleges your son is interested in that wouldn't give you trouble for hs?

Good job sticking with your children's education btw!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• rosie211
    November 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Are there not any homeschool groups around? There are many opportunities where I live to get together with other homeschoolers. We do a lot of activities at the library as well so they have a chance to meet new people. Good luck and I am glad you are sticking with it! I think homeschooling is a wonderful thing and can't imagine sending my children to the schools here.

• bluerooffarm
    November 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Thanks!  Our "last straw" with 4H was when a judge told us that our son's project was great, "above level" and yet he he would not vote for him and he was sorry.  Zave did enjoy it, but I figured that some day he would get frustrated.

Quoting tansyflower:

this is a really great breakdown!  i was in 4H as a small child and one family pretty much ran the show.  it didnt help that between them and their extended family they were half the population of our county lol :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• tansyflower
    November 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

considering the end result is a competition it always sucks when the same kids win year after year.  in our 4h everyone starts out as cloverbuds, but that family always skipped it and wen straight into the older levels of 4h even if their kid was only 5!  it ended up being a big competition between the parents, because after all they were the ones buying the most expensive feed and breeding stock.  but really i just liked animals and thought it was fun :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Thanks!  Our "last straw" with 4H was when a judge told us that our son's project was great, "above level" and yet he he would not vote for him and he was sorry.  Zave did enjoy it, but I figured that some day he would get frustrated.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• Headevas
    November 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM

There aren't any other art schools around other then the one he wants to attend. Ofcouse he can go to an online art school but he wants to go and get the hands on affect. He wants to get into computer animation and the art school he wants to go to has an awesome program for that. So I will just have him go to the Jr College for a semester and see if they will accept him then.  As far as Home school groups in are area, there are a couple but they are very clicky. I've been to 2 in my area and the parents are not friendly and the kids stick with their groups.... so I'm frustrated with that. Thank you for the suggestions and maybe the FFA will be a good fit for her. She wants to be a Vet when she grows up( at least for now) and that would give her a good experience. I am done with the whole clique thing.... it's just stupid in my opinion. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    November 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    As with any activity, it depends on the group...

We have a FABULOUS 4H group up here. The kids run everything, they have tons of projects. The people who run it are awesome!

We.also do Boy Scoits and Girl Scouts. Again, it realpy depemds on how dedicated the leaders are to make it non-clicque (sp).
  • No_Difference
    November 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

My daughter is loving 4H. Our 4H group is all homeschooled kids. We know everyone through swim team though too for the most part. It's at the one family's goat farm, but because our group is so small, everyone has their part. The kids are honestly the ones who run it for us though. They vote for their leaders, and the leaders have meetings to make decisions to be voted on by a group as a whole. The two adults who help run the meetings bascially just give kids ideas to choose from... We've gone to pick apples and then made them into apple sauce. Everyone got to take a jar home, and the rest was donated to a few homeless shelters. Now the kids are making scarves and hats as a side project while we wait for the books to come in. 
    There's girl scouts too, but I have a feeling we're only doint it for this year (my daughter is in 4th too). A friend of mine has her daughter doing acting through a local children's play company. Another thing to maybe look into, see if your city has a city band that she could learn an instrument and join (there may not necessarily be kids her age, but a wide variety of people from kids to adults). Where I grew up, the city had a band and would march in parades on holidays. Around by me now, there is a youth orchestra...
    See if your library has activities... many times they're free too. Ours does book club and a young writers workshop where they teach the kids different writing techniques and then once a month a local author comes in and works with the kids (we keep missing that day :/ )

• bluerooffarm
    November 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

The family here has so many kids, they lik to sweep all he levels, so they don't skip any.  We liked our animals too.  And the boys had fun, but they are having fum in FFA too, and really with all they are in it's good to get rid of an activity!  LOL (my kids are over-socialized!)

Quoting tansyflower:

considering the end result is a competition it always sucks when the same kids win year after year.  in our 4h everyone starts out as cloverbuds, but that family always skipped it and wen straight into the older levels of 4h even if their kid was only 5!  it ended up being a big competition between the parents, because after all they were the ones buying the most expensive feed and breeding stock.  but really i just liked animals and thought it was fun :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN