Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mweddle
I feel like I'm not doing enough.
by Mweddle
November 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

we do teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons.  She has gone from reading sight words to actually sounding out full paragraphs and actually comprehending them.  We do spelling words each day that we finish a lesson (sometimes they take 2 days-she has attention issues)  We also do simple games having to do with phonics. We also read stories where I will read to her and sometimes I will have her sound out a word randomly or just read the and's and the's.

We do Math U See.  She is literally amazing me with what she is learning.  I KNOW she is almost to grade level (she was help back in ps) because of it. (my son is in 1st grade and she seems to be more advanced than him and she was in K in ps) We do play some games and I randomly drill her on the stuff she needs to become secure in (skip counting, adding by 1, etc) We don't do this everyday but we do math every day. 

We do science once a week with an experiment like a glitter volcano or predicting the weather.

I definitely feel like I am not doing enough.  I can SEE her thriving but I still feel like I'm failing because it doesn't take very long, like maybe 2 hours a day.  I see all that you all do with your kids and I wonder what else I should do because I'm definitely not feeling like I'm doing as much as all of you.  We just started homeschooling about 2 months ago and I'm starting to think I want to homeschool all 4 of my kids but I want to do it right.  What should I add.  We are Christians but we believe in an OLD Earth so I need ideas for curriculum.  Any ideas?  :D  

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    November 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I think you're doing plenty, but there are things you could add.

Are you doing a handwriting program? If not, check out Handwriting Without Tears (we're using it now with DS4).

History? You could either do Story of the World (if you're protestant) or pick up the first volume of Five in a Row for a literature based approach - it ties in history and science to the literature, and also includes art, crafts, etc.

Honestly, add in handwriting and FIAR and you've got a nicely rounded out program going on :)

• Mweddle
    by Mweddle
    November 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM

You have no idea how much better that makes me feel.  I will check those out.

• paganbaby
    November 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM

As a wise mom once told me, if they're progressing, you're doing good.

Keep up the good work!

• kirbymom
    November 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    Oh no you don't!!
    No compare yourself to us in that regard!
    You are doing great!!
    When I first started homeschooling my oldest, I felt the exact same way you are feeling right now. But you know what? I worried needlessly. She learned at such a quick pace but I didn't know that then. She was a graduate at 16, was accepted into college and has been working fill time ever since. What I am trying to say, you ARE doing Enough! She is learning, right? Right! Now, if she wants to do more, then ask her what she would like to learn. At this age, children do not need to be "in school" for hours on end. Now as she gets older, you can't add to her lessons which will automatically add hours as well. Just don't think too negatively of yourself. You are doing a fine job. Take a deep breathe, hold it, let it out slowly. Now relax! :)
    Hugs sweety!
  • Molimomma
    November 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM

My son is just turning 4 so we've been casually been doing preK/K stuff since he was 2.5 literally for my own sanity because he's such a busy boy he's always looking for something new to do. We go to the zoo, Sea World or story time just about every week(again trying to keep him busy) and I STILL worry we aren't doing enough! I have to constantly repeat the mantra he's not even four(soon to change to he's not even five!) just to keep my anxiety at bay. My point is, we often worry needlessly that WE aren't doing enough simply because it doesn't take as long to teach one-on-one and eliminating the foolishness and wasted time. I would add some social studies and maybe a "special" like art or music if you feel she needs more but don't stress you are doing fine!

• Mweddle
    by Mweddle
    November 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thank you all.  I love this group.  I am determined to NOT send her back to ps and she is learning really quickly.  It does amaze me.  Thanks for the encouragment I feel a million times better.  

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    You sound like she is doing great!
  • kirbymom
    November 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    You are most welcome! Anytime you need some extra support, you just come on in and pull up a chair and let us support you. :)

Quoting Mweddle:

Thank you all.  I love this group.  I am determined to NOT send her back to ps and she is learning really quickly.  It does amaze me.  Thanks for the encouragment I feel a million times better.  

EDITED FOR SPELLING! :)
  • AutymsMommy
    November 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I just pictured an angry ghetto superstar snapping her fingers in front of the OP's face and saying "oh NO you DIDN'T!". Lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh no you don't!!
    You are doing great!!
    When I first started homeschooling my oldest, I felt the exact same way you are feeling right now. But you know what? I worried needlessly. She learned at such a quick pace but I didn't know that then. She was a graduate at 16, was accepted into college and has been working fill time ever since. What I am trying to say, you ARE doing Enough! She is learning, right? Right! Now, if she wants to do more, then ask her what she would like to learn. At this age, children do not need to be "in school" for hours on end. Now as she gets older, you can't add to her lessons which will automatically add hours as well. Just don't think too negatively of yourself. You are doing a fine job. Take a deep breathe, hold it, let it out slowly. Now relax! :)
    Hugs sweety!

• kirbymom
    November 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    Lol

That certainly wasn't my intention!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I just pictured an angry ghetto superstar snapping her fingers in front of the OP's face and saying "oh NO you DIDN'T!". Lol.

Quoting kirbymom:Oh no you don't!!
    You are doing great!!
    Hugs sweety!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN