Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mweddle
I feel like I'm not doing enough.
by Mweddle
November 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

we do teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons.  She has gone from reading sight words to actually sounding out full paragraphs and actually comprehending them.  We do spelling words each day that we finish a lesson (sometimes they take 2 days-she has attention issues)  We also do simple games having to do with phonics. We also read stories where I will read to her and sometimes I will have her sound out a word randomly or just read the and's and the's.

We do Math U See.  She is literally amazing me with what she is learning.  I KNOW she is almost to grade level (she was help back in ps) because of it. (my son is in 1st grade and she seems to be more advanced than him and she was in K in ps) We do play some games and I randomly drill her on the stuff she needs to become secure in (skip counting, adding by 1, etc) We don't do this everyday but we do math every day. 

We do science once a week with an experiment like a glitter volcano or predicting the weather.

I definitely feel like I am not doing enough.  I can SEE her thriving but I still feel like I'm failing because it doesn't take very long, like maybe 2 hours a day.  I see all that you all do with your kids and I wonder what else I should do because I'm definitely not feeling like I'm doing as much as all of you.  We just started homeschooling about 2 months ago and I'm starting to think I want to homeschool all 4 of my kids but I want to do it right.  What should I add.  We are Christians but we believe in an OLD Earth so I need ideas for curriculum.  Any ideas?  :D  

Replies

• coala
    by coala
    November 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

She sounds like she is doing really well.  If you feel that she is ready to have more added to her day...then add some.  Her day shouldn't be long...my kids are usually done in about 2 hours and I have a 1st and 2nd grader. 

• Bleacher-mom
    November 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Get the book  SO YOUR THINKING ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING by LISA WHELCHEL. In there are many different ways of HSing so you can choose what you think will work for your family and then it gives suggestions for each type. You are doing a lot so far, but maybe getting a list of what would be good for her age, like getting a test prep book that has a list of what kids that age learn in english, math, etc might give you more of an idea.

• JATomlinson
    November 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I wouldn't feel bad about only doing 2 hours a day.  If you can get through it all in two hours, that's great!  Think about how the Public school day is set up... they have multiple recesses, lunch break, bathroom breaks, it takes time for them to get kids to line up coming to and from activities, they do PE, they do music, kids interrupt the teacher, it takes time for kids to settle down after an activity... they spend so much time in school just wasting time!  I've seen how much time is wasted when I worked and taught at multiple schools.  As far as actual school work in Kindergarten, they do maybe an hour of actual work.  In Portland Oregon they just cut the Kindergarten school day down to just a couple of hours because most of it was just wasted time and it was just wasting public money.  That being said, if you want to do more and go further, go for it!  But if you can get all the important stuff in in two hours, don't feel bad about that either.

• debramommyof4
    November 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM

My kinder does 1 hour, when he chooses.  My 1st and 2nd grader have about 2 or 3 hours of work, if they do it.  I am available during 5 hours of school to help.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN